Utah Drivers- revisited

marshac

I just got back from another wonderful trip to SLC, and although drivers in Utah are still as crazy as I remember, I decided to take a different approach this time- to embrace the insanity.

Rather than treating speed limits as an upper limit on my velocity, I treated them as merely suggestions- the sign that says "65" though the downtown corridor must be the suggestion for really rainy days. Since it was 100 outside, 85 seemed to be the speed of the day. Farther north where the "limit" bumps up to 75? 90 sounds about right. With the correct mindset, driving became enjoyable, and it's amazing how much faster you arrive at your destination when you travel twice the posted limit. ;)

See my approach is different. I drive the speed limit and dare them to hit my rust bucket of a car. I think the thought of rust coming into contact with their precious SUV or Minivan fills them with dread and they leave me alone.

Now if only the rust could get them to understand how a traffic circle/roundabout works.

I just got back from another wonderful trip to SLC, and although drivers in Utah are still as crazy as I remember, I decided to take a different approach this time- to embrace the insanity.

Rather than treating speed limits as an upper limit on my velocity, I treated them as merely suggestions- the sign that says "65" though the downtown corridor must be the suggestion for really rainy days. Since it was 100 outside, 85 seemed to be the speed of the day. Farther north where the "limit" bumps up to 75? 90 sounds about right. With the correct mindset, driving became enjoyable, and it's amazing how much faster you arrive at your destination when you travel twice the posted limit. ;)

Marchac, perhaps some people drive like they walk. Have you ever been to New York city on a business day? :P

California biggest complaints today is the lack of additional freeways for motorists. After living here for quite sometime, it is not lack of freeways is an issue, it is matter of DMV allowing fourth of the drivers who can pass a simple test and still lack any driving ability. Removing the fourth of bad drivers from the freeways will meet the requirements of not building any additional freeways. :D

See my approach is different. I drive the speed limit and dare them to hit my rust bucket of a car. I think the thought of rust coming into contact with their precious SUV or Minivan fills them with dread and they leave me alone.

Now if only the rust could get them to understand how a traffic circle/roundabout works.

They had drivers ed when I was in high school in California.

Drivers ed is required in CA. The problem with UT drivers isn't the speed, rather it's the inconsiderate nature of how they drive. In NORCAL, where I'm originally from the speed limit is mostly advisory, but people do not drive like it is a NASCAR event or they are qualifying for the indy 500. I rode my motorcycle 1,600 miles through Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada last year, and by far the most dangerous part of the trip was I15 between SLC, and Provo. People drive like animals passing on the right, and cutting people off. No regard for anybody's safety. Seems a very Selfish part of the country with regards to driving and the safety of others.

That's my thing about Utah driving. People pass on the right so you have no opportunity to merge to the right if you need to exit. You have to plan it about 5 miles in advance. Plus if you are trying to merge into highway traffic, they don't let you in.

That's my thing about Utah driving. People pass on the right so you have no opportunity to merge to the right if you need to exit. You have to plan it about 5 miles in advance. Plus if you are trying to merge into highway traffic, they don't let you in.

That reminds me, because they wont let you in people tend to stop on the on ramps to wait for an opening (yeah right). I've almost been in multiple wrecks as I get up to speed to merge into traffic in Utah only to find that the Utard in front of me has stopped on the onramp and I am on a collision course at 65 mph.

And if you have to pull over to the side of the road, people zoom by and avoid eye contact. I forgot about the lovely passing on the right, and about no one wanting to let you merge.

Then there's my friend who lived in West Virginia. She said all the time, when she was just getting ready to get on a road like from her driveway or pulling out of a parking lot onto a road, people would completely stop and wave her in, even if no one was behind them and there was no traffic.

That reminds me, because they wont let you in people tend to stop on the on ramps to wait for an opening (yeah right). I've almost been in multiple wrecks as I get up to speed to merge into traffic in Utah only to find that the Utard in front of me has stopped on the onramp and I am on a collision course at 65 mph.

On our way into SLC, we saw the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle accident... hopefully that wasn't you. The driver was limping a bit, and the bike itself was pretty messed up, but it could have been a LOT worse.

And people wonder why so many officers get hit by cars when they have someone pulled over or are assisting someone along side the road.

Many states (apparently not Utah) have laws requiring you to slow down or move over when passing police officers or emergency (including tow trucks) vehicles.

On our way into SLC, we saw the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle accident... hopefully that wasn't you. The driver was limping a bit, and the bike itself was pretty messed up, but it could have been a LOT worse.

I had a co-worker who rode a bike. She lost her leg when she got hit by a car on the way home from work, three weeks after I started.

I had to pass on the right a few times... when in Rome.... seriously though, for whatever reason it was always in the middle lane where you found the do-gooder-law-abiding-citizen doing 65. They must figure that changing the insane driving found in Utah begins with them, one car at a time, without realizing that slower traffic is supposed to be in the right lane. Catch 22 ;)

Welcome to the club my friend! ;)

Guest mirancs8

When I was in Utah this past June I thought the drivers were great LOL! You know why?? Because I'm from Philadelphia. See in Philly we not only pass you left AND right, we'll flip you off and in some cases actually shoot at you while your driving! That of course is worse case scenario. My sisters friends daughter was shot dead when she cut some guy off during rush hour. It was crazy for about a year on this one highway with road rage.

Try crossing a street in Philly. You have to make a mad dash and don't even think about helping the old lady cross... heck no she's on her own on that one. You'll barely make it yourself across the street. Red light? What's a red light? In Philly when we're at a red light we are watching the opposite direction light to turn yellow. Once it's yellow we start going even when our side isn't even green yet.

Trust me when I tell you after living in Philly all my life Utah was like being amongst the best drivers in the US LOL!!!!

Guest mirancs8

Now living in AZ we fear more of flying furniture coming at you on the highway. Mattresses, recliners, sofas ow yes we don't use movers... no we tie a crap load of stuff on something that can't even hold it while one by one they are falling off the back and the driver is completely clueless. AZ had by far the worse cops too! You get a ticket and they can charge you as a criminal for speeding! Then they have all those stupid cameras so every time someone sees a camera they slam their breaks causing an accident. It's stupid.

They had drivers ed when I was in high school in California.

Yes but is it required? Alaska offers Driver's Ed in the schools but you aren't required to complete a course, you just need to pass the written exam for a permit and then take the written and driving exam for your license. Utah requires* you complete a Driver's Ed course before you can get your permit, and then the written and driving exam for a license. When I moved to Utah I didn't have a permit or license and ended up having to take a Driver's Ed course (offered at USU, I was living in Brigham City at the time) before I could get my permit.

*You can get around this by obtaining a permit in another state and swapping out your out of state permit for a instate one when you move to Utah, my sister did that.

Try crossing a street in Philly. You have to make a mad dash and don't even think about helping the old lady cross... heck no she's on her own on that one. You'll barely make it yourself across the street. Red light? What's a red light? In Philly when we're at a red light we are watching the opposite direction light to turn yellow. Once it's yellow we start going even when our side isn't even green yet.

I put a disturbing amount of trust in pedestrian right away, I figure if I don't die I'll have school paid for and if I do die I won't have to pay back my student loans anyway. ;)

Guest mirancs8

I put a disturbing amount of trust in pedestrian right away, I figure if I don't die I'll have school paid for and if I do die I won't have to pay back my student loans anyway. ;)

OMG! I have tears rolling down my face... you are too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to pass on the right a few times... when in Rome.... seriously though, for whatever reason it was always in the middle lane where you found the do-gooder-law-abiding-citizen doing 65. They must figure that changing the insane driving found in Utah begins with them, one car at a time, without realizing that slower traffic is supposed to be in the right lane. Catch 22 ;)

Tis a concession to reality, if you drive the speed limit you will be tail gated, and people will pass you on the right, so by going in the middle lane you allow a lane on either side for people to pass you. ;)

Tis a concession to reality, if you drive the speed limit you will be tail gated, and people will pass you on the right, so by going in the middle lane you allow a lane on either side for people to pass you. ;)

I've never been tailgated by a Prius before... until this week. Luckily for you Utah folks, they had Arizona plates.

I was out on the freeway the other day and remembered the physics principle that going slower saves gas. So I went 60. Seemed reasonable for someone in my age group, kind of like sensible shoes. Anyway, a lot of cars sure did zoom by me. Makes me wonder what days the highway patrol is on duty.

No, you're looking at it all wrong. The middle lane is the safest. That's where the semi trucks usually are, and not even Utah drivers are nuts enough to cut them off. When I'm in Utah (SLC area specifically) I drive in the middle behind a big truck and pray with all the sincerity of my soul for a safe arrival.