Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull?

Moksha

Here is a current article by an LDS author at Beliefnet and a snippet from it:

I've spent years trying to figure out why today's sacrament meetings are typically an exercise in routinized tedium when worship was so decidedly different in the early years of the LDS Church. As a historian of religion, I offer five reasons here. As a Mormon who cares about our message being relevant beyond our own walls, I hope we're not too entrenched in what's not working to realize that we simply must change.

Read more: Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull? - Flunking Sainthood

Any thoughts on this subject?

:o

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it interesting how two people can get such a different impact from the same meeting. I have heard comments like this from the SAME meeting from two different people. I am not proud to say that I have been on both sides of this fence.

That meeting was so BORING!

vs.

The spirit was so strong in that meeting. I got so much out of it!

I agree with apple's comment - If you aren't getting anything from a meeting the odds are you aren't bringing anything to it.

The mere fact that this person is finding fault and posting those thoughts on the internet tells quite a bit about about their attitude.

Edited by WindRiver

Eyring said he'd asked his dad one day what he thought of the talk, and his dad said he thought it was wonderful. Eyring asked him how that could be when the speaker was so awful and his dad said that he figures out what the speaker is trying to get across, and gives himself his own talk on the same topic.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have speaking classes (or guidelines). Surely the members of the General Authority weren't born being such awesome speakers.

Plus I picture them as being much more in tune with the Spirit than I am. Not everyone just speaking for myself. I think that is another factor.

As far as local ward talks..when listening to the talk are we focusing on how boring it is or on what the speaker is actually saying? Are we focusing on what things we have coming up during the week, what we are making for Sunday dinner, the problems we might be struggling with? I think our own attitude is such a key part in this.

We're also focused on the teenager one pew over who is texting at the speed of light, the young lady wearing silver stilettos (that don't even match her dress), The two girls braiding each others hair and laying in each others laps, and three different babies howling.

The first lecture tape I bought was John Bytheway's "The Best Three Hours of the Week"

I've found that talks are much more interesting when I actually try to pay attention to what the person is trying to say rather than focusing on their failing to get that point across. When I attempt to become personally interested in them and the topic, then their talks become interesting to me. Sure, some people are just plain boring, but when you try to maintain the spirit, you will go away spiritually fed, even if what you hear is not what is being said.

mixtrniceguy, if I'm sitting behind you and your 4 year old, I'm gonna be focusing on him--making faces, teasing him, etc. Just to watch you focus on him to make sure no else focuses on him. :P

And if I were sitting next to Beefche, I would be nudging her to stop making faces and teasing him and trying to focus on him to make sure no one else focuses on him.

And if I was sitting next to Beefche I'd be egging her on. :D

Wasn't there a post somewhere that states we don't egg peoples houses and such? Are you making that poster out to be a liar with the egg comment?

One thing I have noticed is that some talks are much more interesting than others. I suppose we have all made that observation at one time or other.

I like Sunday talks that have an inspirational message. I also like my mind tweaked with new ways of looking at things. Can anyone relate to that?

Toastmasters.

And teleprompters. :D

I'm also usually focused on my two-year-old. I plan to have one, possibly two, more child(ren), so I don't really plan on getting much out of Sacrament meeting for the next 5 years or so, especially if my husband gets called into the bishopric.

As for playing with the kids in front of you, I've got a truly hilarious story about that. In the last ward I attended, prior to moving here, my husband and I didn't have our daughter yet. We always sat on the same row in the chapel, always behind the same family. That family had three boys -- 5, 3, and 1 years old. Between the three of them, mom was bringing so many toys and distraction activities to church each week that she filled a huge canvas tote bag (one of the ginormous ones from LL Bean) with stuff, and that didn't include her purse, scriptures, or diaper bag. (Eventually she finally put toys and books in rolling mini suitcases and made the older boys "carry" their own stuff.) One Sunday, during the talks, the 3-year-old started digging through the bag, apparently looking for something specific. He was very intent, and it was rather amusing. I nudged my husband, only to notice that he was also already watching the boy. Pretty soon the boy realized that we were watching him, so rather than continue digging to the bottom of the bag for whatever it was that he was seeking, he just began pulling stuff out and throwing it over his shoulders. Soon enough the bag was empty. This little boy climbed into the bag, looked us each square in the eye, and said, "I'm in da bag!" It was the more hilarious thing ever. Both my husband and I -- without looking at each other to fuel it on -- almost had to get up and leave because we were laughing so hard. The boy, of course, getting quite a reaction, repeated his statement several times until his mom (who had an amazing ability to tune the boys out completely and pay attention to the sacrament meeting talks) finally heard and shushed him. The following week, he did it again, but this time is was, "I'm in da suitcase," which, while still entertaining, could not replace an original.

Church would be more boring if only the "good" speakers were allowed to give talks. Sometimes I find myself not listening to the youth speaker and then listening more because they actually are giving a good talk. They may not look up from their paper, say the words really fast and speak in a monotone voice, but usually the content is really good.

I know that it is super hard for me to pay attention and feel the Spirit with my little kids and husband usually gone, sitting in the back picking up crayons, trying to get my kids to not violently punch each other in the stomach, and stop talking right out loud about everything. It is so nice when my kids are behaving and quiet and I can actually listen to the talks. I usually only hear bits and pieces.

I fell asleep at church once. Unfortunately, I was an altar boy at the time, and the priest was reading the Gospel, and I was standing next to him and holding a 20 pound bronze crucifix. Which I dropped, which made a loud and terrifying noise that woke up the rest of the worshippers.

You'd think the priest would appreciate having a wide awake audience, but he didn't. At all.

As far as Mormon Church meetings being dull, I've attended a couple of times and found it fascinating that people from the congregation go up and speak. I did find the classes boring, though.

Pentecostal services can be exciting, and a little scary. And I went to a mega-church once, reminded me of a rock concert. Low pressure, feel good fast food worship- filling but not really fulfilling. I thought of it as a high calorie low nutrient alternative.

falds, I'd say the same to you as many LDS are saying to each other...go to a pentecostal service with skepticism, and with preconceived ideas (weak theology, too much flash, modern "fleshy" music, etc.) then it'll be self-fulfilled prophecy. I found it interesting that the author alluded to early LDS spiritual experiences (which continue in other lands)...that sounded very pentecostal.

My pastor has great respect for Rick Warren, and the church used his Purpose Driven Life book for a church-wide education focus in the past. Yet, today our focus is to be a Spirit driven church, and a Spirit-led people. If any church, be it LDS, Baptist, pentecostal, or Catholic wants to please God it must curry the presence of the Spirit.