Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull?

Moksha

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Though I'd agree with most of you that it's the Spirit that matters most, I couldn't say church meetings don't bore the crap out of me. I have a very short attention span so listening to people talk for hours and even sitting still for that long is just not easy. I wouldn't say that's anything to do with the church though, just me personally. Sometimes I do catch the occasional entertaining talk and that holds my attention for awhile. Usually there will be a few parts out of a couple talks where I get into it for awhile. But for the rest, I'm bored.

General conference is easier though. I like watching it from the comfort of my own house where I can be in my pajamas on the couch with a blanket and pillow. And I can get up for a drink of water during the choir singing. That definitely makes it easier to pay attention to the authorities, and I don't think it's because they're any better speakers.

Regular meetings beat stake conference though. Surviving 2hrs straight of talks by people I've probably never seen before? Not possible. :P

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I could get all defensive because I'm nostalgic about the LDS church... Or I could look back on all the years as a child, when I would wait until my parents weren't looking duirng sacrament, scoot under the pew and sneak out the back door to the gym-- where all the other bored kids were runing around laughing, wrestling around and having a ball.

Or as a pre-teen, when me and my girlfriends would say we "had to go to the bathroom". But instead, we would take our little purses and/or headphones into the bathroom and just play around with different hair do's in the mirror, sometimes a little makeup, while chatting and listening to music. Or again, goof around in the gym with the others.

Or how even as an adult today, I still sometimes sneak off to the bathroom to fix my hair, or step outside to call or text someone on my cell phone (I'm the only one in my home who goes, no kids yet, and hubby's a Catholic). I see plenty of other people doing it too. Even when I'm in the "chapel", my friend whom I usually carpool with and her kids are usually talking to me throughout the entire thing. The only people who seem to sit still and be quiet though the entire meeting is the elderly couples in the front half of the room.

Even the missionaries dont! lol. They wander the halls, or hang around on the stairs outside.

So while I don't think we have to be jumping around and shouting, I do think we could add some more attention-holding elements to the meetings.

One thing I have noticed is that some talks are much more interesting than others. I suppose we have all made that observation at one time or other.

I like Sunday talks that have an inspirational message. I also like my mind tweaked with new ways of looking at things. Can anyone relate to that?

So, what you are saying is that you want only speakers that appeal to you. Forget that most speakers in local wards have absolutely no experience speaking. Or that most of them are not familiar with scholarly works on the scriptures. Or that most of them are given a broad topic and told to use scriptures to fine tune their talk. Or that most of them would almost rather have a root canal than appear before the congregation to speak about a subject they feel inadequate to speak on.

Why is the responsibility for engaging someone's interest lying solely on the speaker who is not a professional speaker or scripture scholar? What is the listener's responsibility?

I agree that each speaker should do their best--but my best is different than the person next to me. Perhaps their best is simply standing there in front of people and formulating complete sentences. There is a responsibility on the congregation as well.

I think that she has some good points, but most of them apply to the individual to fix rather than the church as a whole. I would like to see how to give a talk classes. That said, the BYU ward I am currently in is one of the best wards I have ever seen, and is rarely boring. It's too bad there are so many of you with opposite experiences.

The church does teach as much as they are able to. It's Called Teaching, No Greater Call. The lessons in there, if used, will help others to speak publically in a better fashion. Also, each ward can help others learn how to speak publically. It's up to the local congregations. And I have seen some worldwide training on teaching and public speaking--in particular I remember Elder Holland doing one (that was geared towards teaching Sunday School, but some of the lessons would be useful for a sacrament talk as well).

Personally, I like to read some criticism because it helps us to see the perspective of someone from the outside and not always our own perspective of things.

Our meetings sometimes are fascinating and sometimes they are boring. Happens everywhere and in all Churches, so I don't take an issue about it at all.

My primary problem with the article is that the author insinuates that people wait until 11:58 the night before the meeting to give a few thoughts to the subject matter and don't give any effort for the talk, when a lot of people probably do a lot of work on their talks, along with fasting and praying and fretting. It's just a matter that they don't know to give a good talk. Did you guys click on the Sunstone article she'd written? The first half appalled me, but the second half was very good and pretty helpful.

I kinda agree. particularly on point 3

You know Pam, this is a great opportunity for me to post "Scotland the brave" to prove her correct :D

Well it'd help if the Chorister/Organist/Pianist wouldn't play them at half speed.

Even if the hymn book says "lively", it comes out like a funeral dirge. Sometimes I wonder if they should ditch the organ for the piano for some hymns just to give them a little life.

I think the majority of the organ players don't really know how to play the organ, thus they play slowly in order to play more accurately. I mean, they are seriously exposed and everyone hears every mistake. So they're careful. Can't blame them, but yeah, it does tend to make for some very slow music...

HiJolly

My primary problem with the article is that the author insinuates that people wait until 11:58 the night before the meeting to give a few thoughts to the subject matter and don't give any effort for the talk, when a lot of people probably do a lot of work on their talks, along with fasting and praying and fretting. It's just a matter that they don't know to give a good talk. Did you guys click on the Sunstone article she'd written? The first half appalled me, but the second half was very good and pretty helpful.

I thought her break down of a talk (GIVING THE TALK ITSELF) was spot on and matches 80% of the talks i have heard all across the USA. Though she might be painting the prep time with a broad brush.

It's funny because it true

Edited by hordak

I miss our old pianist sometimes, she played everything, no matter what it was, at a marching tempo, about 120 beats per minute. She even did the stacatto'd notes like you would expect for the Battle Hymn of The Republic played in How Great Thou Art.

The Bishops job is to help his ward members grow spiritually, not to make sure they do not get bored during someones talk or to entertain them. If you want a polished speaker you should find a Church that hires professionals.

As a Ward Exec Secretary, I am in every Bishopric meeting and after much prayer and consideration we chose the members that we are inspired to have talk, many times it is because the person themselves need to prepare the talk (to learn something themselves). God gives us opportunities to grow, we have the freedom of choice as to whether we use that and do research to prepare a good talk or whether we think we can 'wing it'. Even a poor public speaker, if they do the research, will both learn something themselves and be able to get the Lords point accross to the congregation.

Edited by mnn727

falds, I'd say the same to you as many LDS are saying to each other...go to a pentecostal service with skepticism, and with preconceived ideas (weak theology, too much flash, modern "fleshy" music, etc.) then it'll be self-fulfilled prophecy.

I actually enjoyed the Pentecostal service - I think it's great to see people celebrate God so enthusiastically. There were just a couple of members that scared me and my daughters.

The mega church I attended was a different denomination; it wasn't Pentecostal. And I shouldn't have criticized it.

And I shouldn't highjack this thread. I personally didn't find LDS meetings boring, but it was a novelty to me. And I only went a couple of times. With that said, I think you get out of it what you put into it.

I attend the SWLA Branch, and it is the best 3 hr. church service EVER! Too bad some LDS are suffering through boring services. I have no complaints. Talk about diversity, too. Not just one ethnicity here. And the youth are hands-down the best. The choir is fun. And absolutely everyone, converts and long-time members alike, give great talks and lessons. Every week the Holy Spirit is so present. Testimonies are strong. And the missionaries are GREAT!

Edited by Boris_natasha
Add more

I agree that many LDS church meetings are dull. Why? For a few reasons:

1. Those giving talks, etc., do not fully prepare themselves or their talks. They speak, but without the Spirit to attend their talk. How many Elders/High Priest quorum lessons are just read straight out of the manual?

2. Elder Holland said once that we have to ignite our pulpits ablaze like earlier members once did. The General Authorities are trying to get us to "teach the doctrines" with the Spirit, but we fail on both issues.

I was in a stake meeting once with a General Authority in attendance. The GA made sure to the 1st Counselor in the stake presidency that no one was to go over their time. A Primary President was to speak for 8 minutes on councils. She spoke for 25 minutes. Worse, she talked about making mud pies as a child, and how the councils are like those mud pies. She said a lot of things, made some cute jokes, but taught no doctrine. If there Spirit ever was in her talk, it left after the first 8 minutes. The 1st Couns spoke after her, and shortened his 20 minute talk down to 3 minutes, trying to get them back on schedule. This shows a lack of preparation, and an acute disregard for guidelines and instruction by Church leaders. It also displays a lack of understanding of even key members in a ward on what the term "doctrine" really means.

Elder Holland has taught that if we were to preach the doctrine with the Spirit from our pulpits, our new converts (and I would add, all our members and investigators) would not stray or go inactive. We wouldn't be able to keep them away.

So, yes. Many of our meetings are boring. And the reason is because the Saints are not investing time into the music or the talks, or in learning the doctrines and how to obtain the Spirit.

Did you guys click on the Sunstone article she'd written? The first half appalled me, but the second half was very good and pretty helpful.

What appalled you about it? For me, it's called being "Witty" with a flair of dramatics, just her style of writing.

I just didn't find it funny. I don't think it's funny to mock people if they've actually worked hard on something, and it turned out awful. On the other hand, it might be absolutely true. I have not been in the church long enough to know how seriously people take their assignments. I know I would agonize over the whole thing until it was over with.

After reading about everyone's experiences at their own church services, I feel even more glad that I found such a good branch of the church for me and my kids. I am always coming away from services so happy that I learned so many good things. You really don't have to be an experienced speaker. The Spirit will always guide the person who truly desires to receive it.

I just didn't find it funny. I don't think it's funny to mock people if they've actually worked hard on something, and it turned out awful. On the other hand, it might be absolutely true. I have not been in the church long enough to know how seriously people take their assignments. I know I would agonize over the whole thing until it was over with.

I am with you. I think assuming the best instead of assuming the worst when people give a talk is the way to go. Some people may look unprepared, but maybe they really are doing their best.

I think that the church has high goals for its members and lots of members don't measure up, but patience and love are needed rather than criticism.

I have to say that my last ward was small and mostly converts, with some lifetime members and lots of people moving in and out all the time (this was a military base). Some of the lessons and talks were absolutely awesome, by either the new converts or the lifetime members, I couldn't tell the difference.

The church is a lot like attending a piano recital for little kids. Maybe they don't play the piano very well and the music doesn't sound good, or maybe the kids don't really have a lot of interest in the piano but play anyway. If you encourage the kids and lift them up, rather than focusing on their actual performance, you will enjoy the recital a lot more than just going to hear great talent. People go through stages of being lukewarm in the gospel, but they always need love and encouragement even if they are a slacker, rather than criticism.

Wow, the response to the article linked by the OP is surprising - lots of people taking this a little too personally, I believe. We (as people and as a church/culture/institution) should take every opportunity learn something from valid criticism.

Anyway, I would like to refer to an article from Meridian listing "The Seven Deadly Sins of Sacrament Meeting Talks." Here is the condensed version of the list, but give the original a read:

1) Unpreparedness - writing the talk last minute or speaking off the cuff without any prep work.

2) Time Encroachment - going too close to or over the time at the end of the meeting/lesson.

3) Time Theft - cutting into someone else's speaking time.

4) Repeating Urban Legends - no random Three Nephites stories.

5) Inappropriate Source Material - especially concerning pop culture references.

6) Too Much Information - the gory details of your cancer surgery don't make good speaking material unless you're at a surgeons' conference.

7) Blaming the Bishopric/SP For Having to Speak - enough said.

To all of this, I would counsel speakers not to apologize for their (assumed-to-be-poor) speaking skills, recite how long it's been since the last time they spoke, delve into tangents or stories that are completely and totally unrelated to the Gospel, make political references, or anything else that would be distracting to the purposes of the meeting.

Not all of us are proficient at getting the most out of Sacrament. However, we should stridently seek to avoid becoming stumbling-blocks to our fellow believers. Doing our best to improve meeting quality will help those who struggle not to stumble over our words.

UPDATE: Clarified rule # 2

Edited by hyohko