The Year You were Born

Moksha

Okay this is just freaky..This is how mine started out.

In 19**, the world was a different place.

There was no Google yet. Or Yahoo. Or Lds.net, for that matter.

How in the heck did it know about lds.net?

That was fun to read. Of course, not everything can be mentioned, I'm adding a few extra facts for 1970. That was the year I was born. This part may be strange. I am a "Product" of the Spring of 1969.

So 1969 is just as important an 1970 to me.

More 1970 Facts.

1st Earth day was observed.

The Kent State shootings happenned in May.

The Beatles broke up.

Other movies of that year were Airport & M*A*S*H.

Top TV: Flip Wilson Show, Laugh in, Brady Bunch, Marcus Welby MD

Most viewed tv program was the Bob Hope in Vietnam Christmas Special (aired in January 1970)

Top Album and song was "Bridge over troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel

The Jackson 5 had 4 #1 songs & The Carpenters went to #1 with "Close to You"

These were a few things just from the top of my head. For those of you born in 1970, I hope you enjoyed these additional facts.

Okay this is just freaky..This is how mine started out.

In 19**, the world was a different place.

There was no Google yet. Or Yahoo. Or Lds.net, for that matter.

How in the heck did it know about lds.net?

It's the referral site that you came from. It's commonly used in site statistics to see which websites the bulk of your traffic comes from (through hyperlinks) but this can also be added into the page. The webserver knows you got to the website from a link at lds.net (as you clicked on the link above), and the website designer added that detail into the page.

That is one of the most poorly made websites I have ever been to. I'm on a T3 connection and it still took forever to load due to the programmers thinking that doing countdowns and typing one letter at a time is cute. <<shaking head>>

Edited by mnn727

That is one of the most poorly made websites I have ever been to. I'm on a T3 connection and it still took forever to load due to the programmers thinking that doing countdowns and typing one letter at a time is cute. <<shaking head>>

:D That's a tad unfair... it wasn't really taking forever to load, just waiting for a 10 second countdown prior to initiating the load. I guess some people might like to look at it :)

Anyway, you have clearly never been on this website: World's Worst Website

Yeah, it's a mock website, but surely we've all seen websites that use design "features" like these before, especially when geocities and the like were still around :P

They didn't mention that Barbie, Sleeping Beauty and I were invented in the same year....nor that the Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and Richie Valens died in a plane crash. While they mentioned Alaska's statehood, they neglected to note Hawaii also became a state. Yellowstone had a huge 7.5 earthquake in August that both created Hebgen (Quake) Lake (from a mountain sliding down and blocking a river) and announced my birth just a couple weeks later. Pantyhose came out to the thrill or consternation of women (and men like Joe Namath) everywhere.

They did mention that the Mini skirt was first brought out in my birth year. Also, Ben Hur came out - leading to 11 Academy Awards (a record that only was beaten by Titanic). Of course, they got this part wrong. Ben Hur won in the 1960 Academy Awards for films in 1959, and was in the 1959 Awards which went to the film Gigi, among others.

Famous people that I recognize and like, who were born in my year include:

Sade

Renee Fleming

John McEnroe

Aidan Quinn

Danny Ainge

Irene Cara

Mathew Modine

David Hyde Pierce

Brian Setzer

Emma Thompson

Sean Bean

Ryan Stiles

Victoria Rowell

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Suzanne Vega

Kevin Spacey

Marcia Gay Harden

Jim McMahon

Jason Alexander

Simon Cowell

Marie Osmond

Weird Al Yankovic

Bryan Adams

Johnny Whitaker

Tracey Ullman

Val Kilmer

:D That's a tad unfair... it wasn't really taking forever to load, just waiting for a 10 second countdown prior to initiating the load. I guess some people might like to look at it :)

Anyway, you have clearly never been on this website: World's Worst Website

Yeah, it's a mock website, but surely we've all seen websites that use design "features" like these before, especially when geocities and the like were still around :P

...whats wrong with that site? My website looks just like that !;)

This is a cool idea,the birth yr thing. I do not like the typing. But the count downs cool....too bad for those born before the 1980's...thats a lot to count.

But the count downs cool...

Not for someone born in the 1950's! its just plain annoying!!

it wasn't really taking forever to load, just waiting for a 10 second countdown prior to initiating the load.

maybe 10 seconds for a young person, not for someone in their 50's Edited by mnn727

It's the referral site that you came from. It's commonly used in site statistics to see which websites the bulk of your traffic comes from (through hyperlinks) but this can also be added into the page. The webserver knows you got to the website from a link at lds.net (as you clicked on the link above), and the website designer added that detail into the page.

Shhhhhh...I want to think it's freaky..not something logical.

Didn't you see the option to show entire text instead of waiting for each word? I certainly didn't wait for it.