Military Chaplains

nbblood

I've seen a few discussions on here about or having to do with the military. It got me thinking that perhaps a military forum would be a good idea. Moderators??

Anyway, I also thought that it would be cool if there was a resource that would identify LDS military chaplains. Perhaps somebody might find that useful someday, somewhere. Of course the challenge is to keep that information updated through changes of assignment, deployments, retirements, etc.

Anyway, I only know of three LDS chaplains in the Army. I know there are more out there, but I don't know them/know of them. I also don't know of LDS chaplains in other services, i.e., Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Reserves, National Guard, etc. So, I''m listing what I know and I'm hoping others can help contribute to the information. We can copy and paste the list into the next post and keep it current (or at least as current as possible).

So, here's what I know:

Ok, I'm removing personal info that I previously posted so that I'm not posting info the individuals may not want posted. I still know of a list of chaplains and I would direct someone to the proper place if you ask. But I'm not going to post that info.

Please help me out to get a more complete list. And, oh, by the way, if you happen to run into one of these brothers, please tell them thanks for their service, to God and country!

Edited by nbblood
removed personal information

Rumor has it that there are hardly any LDS military chaplains. Why are you wanting LDS chaplains? My understanding is that LDS members can use their chaplains for spiritual guidance whatever their faith may be.

Well there aren't very many for sure. Yes, LDS members can use their assigned chaplain for spiritual guidance. But very, very few non-LDS chaplains can speak knowledgeably on the LDS faith. Very few non-LDS chaplains even have an idea where the LDS meetings are held or when. I know from experience. That said, for general advice they're terrific, virtually accross the board.

However, I am testament that an LDS chaplain can make a difference to an LDS soldier. I can say definitively that I would not be an active member today if not for influence, companionship, and advice of two of the chaplains I've listed, one in particular. They found their way into my life at the right time and the right place to make a tremendous difference. You never know when that may happen for someone else too. A non-LDS chaplain simply could not have provided what they provided to me.

So, I'm not discarding the value of non-LDS chaplains. Merely trying to build a knowledge resource on who/where LDS chaplains are.

Hidden

I found a couple others. Here's an updated list:

Army

Ch. (MAJ) C. Layden Colby- currently assigned to Eighth U.S. Army, Korea

Ch. (MAJ) Chuck Atanasio- Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX

Ch. (CPT) J. Nathan Kline- Stuttgart, Germany

Army National Guard

Ch. (CPT) Gaylan Springer- ARNG, Delta, UT

USAF

Ch. (COL) Steven Merrill- location ??

Aren't there LDS branch services on all the US bases? Are there LDS services on the larger bases in Iraq?

What about in Iraq and Afghanistan? How does a deployed soldier access an LDS service or an LDS chaplain?

These are exactly the kind of questions a military forum could address. These are good questions.

Here are the answers. Pretty much everywhere you go in the military there is a Ward, Branch or GROUP. A group is important when there is not a ward or a branch in the immediate area, particulary in deployed areas, such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Group Leaders are called and set apart in the Stake/Mission area to which a particular military unit belongs. They are called by the Stake President or Mission President. They are given training and a certificate of appointment from the Stake/Mission President and a memo outlining their responsibilities and authorizes them to preside over the group. These Group Leaders are then authorized to conduct Sacrament Meetings and other events. They do not, however, hold the keys of the Bishopric/Branch Presidency and there are many things they cannot do. But it is typical to hold Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School, a Family Home Evening, or Priesthood activities, depending on the military mission and active participation of the group. There are many tools available to help Group Leaders in their callings. These include Sacrament supplies, military style scriptures (small, pocket sized), CDs or MP3s of hymn music, DVDs (including General Conference), etc. There are many materials in a Group Leader's kit that can be obtained by a designated Group Leader. Here is a link to that kit: Service Member Group Leader's Kit

However, some things a Group Leader cannot do include: conduct baptismal interviews, interview for worthiness for ordination, collect tithes and offerings, etc. Those require keys of called leaders such as a Bishop.

The important thing here is that Group Leaders are authorized to conduct Sacrament Meeting. Pretty much anywhere a military member ends up they have reasonable access to an LDS Group and these meetings.

Here's a link from LDS.org that has more information on Group Leaders. Guidelines for Calling Service Member Group Leaders

Unfortunately, the only people that really understand how this works are those that have been in the military for a while and seen first-hand how it works or have an LDS chaplain or Group Leader to explain it to them. But that's how it works.

Edited by nbblood
added link, corrected technical info, added other resource info

If we enlarged the scope of inquiry to include Prision Chaplains, such a forum here might get more interaction.

Just a thought...

Why, we have many military members who join the site who would be interested in LDS chaplains. How many prisoners in prison do we get?

As a rule, prisoners do not have access to the internet. In some institutions they can email family through a very secure system. As for LDS prison chaplains, perhaps there are a very few, but not many for two key reasons. The education requirements are quit steep, and unusual for a movement without full-time clergy. Most states require 90 graduate credit hours of study leading to the equivalent of a Master of Divinity. They also often require Clinical Pastoral Education. And, some require two years of full-time ministry experience. Often that experience must come after the education is achieved. The other factor is that most prisons do not have a large enough population of LDS inmates to justify a full time chaplain.

The military does have a signficant number of LDS soldiers, and so there is a small but notable # who serve as chaplains.

I don't think there is much need or incentive for LDS chaplains.

Local wards take care of service members at home, the authority/ approval to administer sacrament can be given to members going on deployments, and

a theology degree is worthless for lds in most cases.

(I.E. Go to BYU for engineering, join service, leave service for engineering job.Go to BYU study theology (,IIRC they just added some courses to help people wanting to be Chaplains), Leave service, go back to school.

I'm sure it's nice to speak with one,but with a member driven church i don't see why hearing a talk from Chaplin Jones, would be more assuring then from Private Jones.

As at home you are taught more by other members then by the Bishop.

Here's a question. Is a Chaplain a Bishop? And if so does he only retain his authority in the deployment field? Because every base i have been to had the local ward take care of military and families.

It is interesting to know they exist.

Edited by hordak

How about under resources, we could have a forum category for the military? There should be plenty of people with topical posts about handling pre-deployment, deployment, and post deployment. Being a member in the military, and a family of military is not exactly easy.

Hi crazypotato - you're right, being in the military is tough, and more often than not being a military spouse is even tougher.

Why you certainly can and should seek support from members of your Church, you can also seek support from other military wives. Most units will have a Family Support Group, or will be part of a larger unit that has a Family Support Group. There should also be a rear detachment (a part of the unit that doesn't deploy) that you can also contact for assistance or information while your husband is deployed.

A Google search for military wives forums also brought up listings like this:

Military Wives Forums

(I haven't checked the forums so can't tell you what the atmosphere is like)

And if you're husband's unit doesn't have a Family Support Group, you can talk to someone about starting one.

Believe it or not facebook is another good support system for military wives. Usually someone makes up a facebook page for the unit so that families can keep in touch with each other and support.

I don't think there is much need or incentive for LDS chaplains.

There is not much incentive...at least monetarily.

Local wards take care of service members at home, the authority/ approval to administer sacrament can be given to members going on deployments, and

a theology degree is worthless for lds in most cases.

All true. However I think when you consider a theology degree being "worthless", that is quite narrowly thinking of professionally. I would love to have the time and money on my hands to obtain a theology degree, merely for the personal education. It's not the piece of paper that is the degree that is valuable. It is the knowledge and spiritual fulfillment gained during the process that has value. But as far as value that is applicable professionally or in church operations, correct, virtually useless.

(I.E. Go to BYU for engineering, join service, leave service for engineering job.Go to BYU study theology (,IIRC they just added some courses to help people wanting to be Chaplains), Leave service, go back to school.

I would contend that there are career opportunities available for retired Chaplains without having to go back to school. However, they certainly would be at a competitive disadvantage to other retired officers if the only degree they held was theology. I'd grant that.

I'm sure it's nice to speak with one,but with a member driven church i don't see why hearing a talk from Chaplin Jones, would be more assuring then from Private Jones.

As at home you are taught more by other members then by the Bishop.

Agreed. I'm sure most chaplains would agree with you too.

Here's a question. Is a Chaplain a Bishop? And if so does he only retain his authority in the deployment field? Because every base i have been to had the local ward take care of military and families.

No, the chaplain is not a bishop. He does not hold the keys of a Bishop. He will tell you that. He can however, do some things that a normal Melchezidek PH holder cannot. For example, he can perform marriages and is recognized by civil authorities to do so. He cannot, however, collect tithes. He also cannot conduct interviews for baptism or PH ordination or conduct those ordinances without the authority of Bishop or Stake President, or in some cases Mission President. He can conduct some ordinances and interviews on their behalf with permission and direction though.

It is interesting to know they exist.

I think it's also interesting and potentially valuable to know who and where they are too. Hence, this post. As I said in an earlier post, I am proof that they can make a difference. I will forever be grateful for the military chaplains I've met. I went through 16 years of service without ever meeting and LDS chaplain. But when the time was right, the Lord had them there for me.

Thanks for your comments and insights.

I'm not going to make up a new forum, but someone can always start a group under "Groups."

Well, groups get very little or no attention. I would venture to say that most users don't know they exist and once they figure it out, they're going to spend about as much time filtering through the groups as I did.....which is about 30 seconds. About long enough to realize that there are way too many groups to go through to pick out which ones you're interested in and very little subscription to most of the groups anyway. So, no thanks.

If I have something to say I'll do it in existing forums. But I certainly understand not wanting to generate another forum. I can only imagine the second and third order effects that would cause the site and moderators. I don't even want to know.:D

Let me ponder on it. The last thing I want is a military forum that is used other than for the purpose it would be intended for. Resources, support, etc etc and have it used for debates concerning military actions etc. I've been around too long to know that's exactly what would happen just by the "military" kind of title.

I will think about it and how best we could do it if that's the route we take.

Edited by pam

Fair enough. I certainly understand. The juice may not be worth the squeeze. A forum like that would certainly be catering to a small population of users. Whatever you decide is cool as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you feel comforted by my approval.:D