Ding Dong Ditch

pam

I would say yes, he was. As he had said, he has 2 little kids and was afraid they were criminals.

All *I* can say is that those teens are SO lucky I am not their mom! They wouldn't be leaving the house again for any reason until high school was done! >=(

If they were mine I would have them clean the neighborhood as a community service. This after I show them every home invasion clip I could find on the internet. People are scared. These young men could have been killed because of that fact. Some people might shoot before finding out what was happening.

If they were mine I would have them clean the neighborhood as a community service. This after I show them every home invasion clip I could find on the internet. People are scared. These young men could have been killed because of that fact. Some people might shoot before finding out what was happening.

Seriously, I have been told that it is better to kill a burglar on your property than let him get away injured because he can then sue you for injuries sustained on your property. If there was someone breaking into my house I would probably kill first ask questions later. The world is not the safe place it used to be and people aren't going to take chances when it comes to their family. The teens are lucky they weren't killed.

Oh and the kill a burglar thing I heard from a cop.

Seriously, I have been told that it is better to kill a burglar on your property than let him get away injured because he can then sue you for injuries sustained on your property. If there was someone breaking into my house I would probably kill first ask questions later. The world is not the safe place it used to be and people aren't going to take chances when it comes to their family. The teens are lucky they weren't killed.

State laws will vary, but in general I'd say you were most likely told wrongly. That burglar has a family who will be emotionally distressed by his death, and there's a multitude of case law about the propriety of using lethal force in self-defense. Shoot to kill, and you'll still have an emotional distress claim from the family--and possibly criminal manslaughter charges, to boot.

In California, you gotta make sure they fall INSIDE your house --not just your yard.

He was wrong.IMO And I'm sure the purpose of using physical force on a trespassers is to remove them from said property. In this case the kids were fleeing , no more threat and he "chose" probably in a rage to chase them down.

Video says

"He thought he was being robed, he was afraid"

So being afraid these guys might be a threat to his family he decideds to chase them down as the leave and bring them into his home:rolleyes:

I think the parents of the kids are going to far and should let this guy alone, let the kids think twice, but he was out of line.

I'm with hordak... you're scared for your family, so you leave them to chase down the potentially dangerous home invaders? WTH is wrong with our country? Dong dong ditch was a rite a passage when I was a kid.

The guys was out of line, it doesn't excuse what the kids did since people are so fearful nowadays, but the parents should drop the charges.

Edited by falds

"He thought he was being robed, he was afraid"

To be honest, I'd be more afraid if someone was trying to disrobe me.

Edited by pam

Over the weekend I thought about this topic again. On Saturday while I was home alone with just my dogs someone rang my doorbell, when I looked outside no one was there. I opened my door and found on my front step a little flyer from the neighboor kids. "Neighboors Got Talent" it read. Every year the local neighboor kids put on a talent show in our next door neighboor's driveway.

The flyer and no person made me think though of the ding dong ditch, and how my family has done similar things such as treats around Christmas time for needy families. Make the treat, ding dong and ditch it on their front step to make their Christmas happier. Usually when someone rings the doorbell it is not to rob our house but rather to have us come to the door. So it does make me wonder what caused the man to think that the teens were robbing him.

I can see where the man was coming from in some ways, I can also see where he took it too far. At the end of the day I think the man took it too far and I think the parents are taking it too far.

I was trying to see the video but because I have dial up here under my rock, I could not get it to load. I remember playing this ALL the time as a kid. I may even *cough* occasionally play it now. Its a shame that the game of making the person inside walk to the door as we stand on the side of the house and giggle, could now be a criminal offense??