Christian shirts with crosses.?

lizzy12

That being said I think it is distasteful to wear crosses and I think the saying "Carry your cross" is more figurative than literal. Just my opinion.

The cross is not the only important thing about Christ's life. He did many wonderful things and taught many wonderful doctrines that are worthy of consideration and respect.

At the same time, we cannot dismiss the cross as an element of and symbol of Christ's divine role. When Christ introduced himself to his Old World and New World disciples after his resurrection, he specifically emphasized the wounds of the crucifixion in order to identify himself to them.

Without Easter there'd be no Christmas.

Without Passover there'd be no Easter.

I can understand why some people might not want to wear the cross. I personally don't think I would, but I would support others wearing one if that is how they remind themselves of their faith and Savior.

We LDS wear special clothing with special symbols to remind us of our faith and Savior, the only difference is we wear it under our every-day clothes. So the issue isn't "can you wear something that reminds you of Christ." The issue is: "Do I personally like your choice of Christian symbolism?"

I see no reason to look down on others for how they choose to remind themselves of their Savior. I would suggest none of us has the copyright on "correct worship" and we should all be tolerant of different modes of worship and reverence.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never cringe at honoring my Lord through a memorial of that which humanity used to kill him, be it a cross, a stake, a guilluitine, or a shot gun. I appreciate the meaning of the Garden, especially for LDS. However, it is the ugliness and the offensiveness of the cross (yes, we really did kill the Son of God!) that drives home our need for repentence. The Garden says, "Jesus was a great man to love so deeply." The cross says, "We were truly horrible to sin so badly Jesus had to die like that."

I think that's an excellent point PC.

I know that when I go through my mind those horrible things that the Saviour went through on my behalf and the rest of all mankind -- that those thoughts will humble me probably faster than any thing else.

I believe that celebrating that there is a ressurected and living Saviour of us all is a wonderful thing, but I also think that it is a important experience to remember the incomprehensable suffering and agony that the Lord went through mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Gethsemene, the arrest, shackled inside a dungeon, the mock trial, the flogging, having to cary the cross beam to Golgotha, and ultimitley the crusifixion are not pleasent things to try to imagine in ones mind -- but what boggles my mind is how one could have such incomprehensable love for his Fathers children.

I would hope when LDS are taking the sacrament, and other faiths when taking communion would think about 'The Passion' and all that it entails -- I think it would be a spiritual feeling every time.

I use to use the same arguments that some have spoken of here ie. what if Christ had been killed by some other method than the cross -- would we hang that around our neck etc?

I don't entertain those thoughts or arguments anymore -- I consider it a personal choice and matter as to how or what a person wants to wear in celebrating his/her love and relationship with their Lord and Saviour.

I recently bought a ring with a cross on it. I have a Fish pendant and bracelet. I have owned WWJD bracelets, and I have a Joseph Smith ring. I also have a wooden cross that my old girlfreind brought back as a gift when she was in Jerusalem.

I just guess I don't understand the big issue LDS people make for this, even though I am LDS.

I hope if some young lady in the church that recieved a Cross pendant as an heirloom from a grandmother and decided that she wanted to wear it to church someday would not get raised eyebrows or cause the chapel to come tumbling down.

The cross is not the only important thing about Christ's life. He did many wonderful things and taught many wonderful doctrines that are worthy of consideration and respect.

At the same time, we cannot dismiss the cross as an element of and symbol of Christ's divine role. When Christ introduced himself to his Old World and New World disciples after his resurrection, he specifically emphasized the wounds of the crucifixion in order to identify himself to them.

Without Easter there'd be no Christmas.

Without Passover there'd be no Easter.

I can understand why some people might not want to wear the cross. I personally don't think I would, but I would support others wearing one if that is how they remind themselves of their faith and Savior.

We LDS wear special clothing with special symbols to remind us of our faith and Savior, the only difference is we wear it under our every-day clothes. So the issue isn't "can you wear something that reminds you of Christ." The issue is: "Do I personally like your choice of Christian symbolism?"

I see no reason to look down on others for how they choose to remind themselves of their Savior. I would suggest none of us has the copyright on "correct worship" and we should all be tolerant of different modes of worship and reverence.

I was giving my opinion. In no way did look down on anyone. I am the only LDS member in my family and I am constantly surrounded by crosses worn by my family members and friends. I would prefer to imagine Christ as living then I would bloody and hanging on a cross. Just my OPINION.

And yes I think "carrying/baring your cross" is more symbolic than literal.

Of course the phrase "take up your cross and follow me," is figurative. And yet, that scripture uses it highlights the import of the crucifix. To remember the cross, to honor Christ's death and suffering does not diminish his life, his teachings or his miracles. In fact, sincere remembering ought to be a catalyst for our own teachings, miracles and good works. The very meaning of "take up your cross," is to be ready and willing to work hard and suffer for the Kingdom...and, for an honored few, to literally be ready to face martyrdom.

Of course the phrase "take up your cross and follow me," is figurative. And yet, that scripture uses it highlights the import of the crucifix. To remember the cross, to honor Christ's death and suffering does not diminish his life, his teachings or his miracles. In fact, sincere remembering ought to be a catalyst for our own teachings, miracles and good works. The very meaning of "take up your cross," is to be ready and willing to work hard and suffer for the Kingdom...and, for an honored few, to literally be ready to face martyrdom.

One could use it as a "token" between GOD and man.

Something I find interesting about that phrase is that I think Jesus used it to underline the commitment that those who decided to follow him were making. No one knew (yet) that Jesus would be crucified. The cross was a method of execution. So when Jesus said take up your cross (as the condemned did), I bet there were a few raised eyebrows. But they would have understood that the commitment made might not be easy to carry out and is to the death, whether a natural one or a martyrdom. I like how CP put it:

to be ready and willing to work hard and suffer for the Kingdom...and, for an honored few, to literally be ready to face martyrdom

I think we all realize that Jesus did not mean for everyone to go make little crosses and wear them around their necks. However, I honestly don't see much of a difference between a cross and a ctr ring. It is the symbolism that is important, what we are reminded of when we see it. When I see a cross, I don't think of the blood and horror of Roman execution (like those living at the time of Christ probably would have), though I know of it intellectually. When I look at a cross, I think of Christ: the one who healed the blind man, who wept for Lazarus, who blessed the children, who loves me, who lives.

I think that most people see it that way.