Advice on healing a broken heart

Julie83402

One of my best friends is a single mom in her early 40's (as am I) and had a relationsip end with her boyfriend of 3 years. She is struggling and I'd like to be able to give her help and comfort.

Does anyone have links to talks that deal with this? Or any suggestions in general?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your replies, sometimes life can be so hard and I hate to see others hurting.

This is something that will take time until it is bearable for her. I think the worst part of it is that she questions herself--asking what she did wrong and what is wrong with her....

I think the most valuable thing we can ever give another person, is our time. Just be there for her if or when she needs her spirits lifted up. Make it a point to check on her every now and then but not so much that it creates added stress. Just make sure she knows you are there for her if she needs to vent or talk. Time will take care of the rest. :)

Guest mirancs8

One of my best friends is a single mom in her early 40's (as am I) and had a relationsip end with her boyfriend of 3 years. She is struggling and I'd like to be able to give her help and comfort.

Does anyone have links to talks that deal with this? Or any suggestions in general?

I'd really appreciate it.

Nothing feels as bad at that moment when something like that happens in your life. Sometimes expected... sometimes not.

Lend her an ear like everyone else is saying. I'd say take her out of the house do something that you know she'll enjoy even if it's a few laps around the mall window shopping. Go have some ice cream and have a girly chit chat. Just be there for her.

Getting lost in service can help. Serve others as well as providing good service for yourself. Eating healthy, sleeping as you should (getting enough, but not too much), exercise and just taking really good care of yourself. Also this is a time to let yourself have indulges that you normally wouldn't have. Go into a new (to you) restaurant and get a beverage, dessert or small item off of the menu, go to the park or walk in a different park that you might normally go to. Get some new hand lotion at the dollar store and enjoy the frangrance and the way your skin feels as you rub it in. While you are there, go look at the fun greeting cards. Slowly eat a really good piece of candy and let the flavor of it roll over your tounge. Take someone you wouldn't normally share time with and share these things with them. Spend extra time with your children. They are probably hurting too. I wish your friend the best.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I went through a pretty nasty broken heart after a failed engagement. Best friend's brother horned in on my situation and I got "dumped".

My friend handled it this way. First off, for a few days after the breakup she let me talk about anything related to the situation I wanted, and she just listened. It was wonderful.

Then, I think she decided I'd had enough time to dwell on it. But she still supported me -- called me up and invited me to go out for dinner or to the mall, but had a rule -- no discussion about the break-up allowed. At one point, she even fined me a dollar each time I referenced it!! I owed her 10 dollars after a couple weeks and I stopped it at that point.

Then she invited me out with her girlfriend to go to the mall, which was interesting. I felt like a million bucks as the only guy with all these attractive girls. They joked around with me once -- led me into a store where there would be a surprise for me if I kept my eyes closed. Plus they would buy me dinner. So, I agreed. They brought me into a store and told me to lay my hand somewhere, and in a couple minutes to open my eyes -- there would be a surprise.

Well, when I opened my eyes I was in Victoria's Secret with my hand on a bin of ladies silk panties.

Sorry I never married her....sort of. She helped me get out of the doldrums for sure.

• 1 year later...
Guest KarenSmart
Hidden

Maybe watch a chick flick together that is really sad and cry your eyes out together, and then go somewhere really fun where you can laugh like hyenas, like rollerskating or something ridiculous where you can laugh at yourselves falling all over.

Yes, Thanks for your advice. I think this is useful :D

• 11 months later...