When is it appropriate to remove your garments?

I know it's a question of personal interpretation, but it seems to be one about which there could be some interesting discussion.

Let's just keep in mind that there aren't a lot of clear cut right and wrong answers here.

That being said, what do y'all think. When do you think it's appropriate to remove your temple garments, and why?

Edited by MarginOfError
Repairing the contraction

Hopefully, for showing, bath, swimming, sex, and various sports events. In powerlifting, I usually won't wear them due to restrictions and movements of undergarments while under heavy bench or heavy loaded squats.

I agree with this, as long as you mean showering and not showing. Also there are different medical proceedures I have gone through where I have needed to remove my garments.

I was taught "the three S's": Swimming, showers, and nookie.

I suppose doctor's visits and medical procedures and whatnot are fine too, although I'd rather avoid them if possible. :) I'm pretty sure you don't go to hell if you get in a wreck and the EMT's have to cut off your clothes to get at your injuries. That's silly.

How about this scenario then.

I did a week long canoe trip with my scout trip last summer. We had to pack up everything into the canoes early in the morning and we didn't usually get to camp until mid to late afternoon. I took my garments off during the day and would put them back on after we got the tents set up. That would be a good 10 - 12 hours each day where I didn't have my garments on.

Or this one. When I go camping in the winter, I usually don't wear them at all. They don't wick moisture well enough and are a hypothermia risk (I really need to try some new styles, that might help).

I was taught "the three S's": Swimming, showers, and nookie.

I suppose doctor's visits and medical procedures and whatnot are fine too, although I'd rather avoid them if possible. :) I'm pretty sure you don't go to hell if you get in a wreck and the EMT's have to cut off your clothes to get at your injuries. That's silly.

Well as a woman there are certain proceedures that require you not to be wearing your garments, or sometimes require you to not wear the tops or the bottoms. And though I would rather avoid them as well, for my own personal health and also for the purpose of getting me pregnant I had to go through with them. :D

when i got to the hospital to have my babies i took mine off and didn't put them on again till i got home and was able to take a proper shower... appx. 3 days

sometimes when sleeping depending on circumstances i will go without mine.

when i'm behind on the laundry and i have no clean garments i will go without for the day while i catch up on wash. lol

Showering, swimming, sex, medical procedures (although this wasn't as much of an issue back in the day of one piece garments in addition to an LDS OB-GYN).

On the river trips we took in the early days of our marriage we wore our garment on the river... knee length shorts and Tshirts. It was nice to avoid the sunburn everyone else got.

Edited by applepansy

Here's my question:

What if you are an elderly LDS-endowed member that has to live in a nursing home, for example, with lots of strange people changing your clothing, bathing you and washing your clothes? Is it okay to not wear them? Or have the nursing home staff wash your garments?

Or sometimes in the military you are in situations where you have no privacy, I mean none, as far as showering and changing clothes?

Here's my question:

What if you are an elderly LDS-endowed member that has to live in a nursing home, for example, with lots of strange people changing your clothing, bathing you and washing your clothes? Is it okay to not wear them? Or have the nursing home staff wash your garments?

Most medical staff will be pretty respectful of religious clothing. They also get some religious training for reasons like this. Honestly, they can't be any harder to put on than any other clothing they put on an elderly person.

Or sometimes in the military you are in situations where you have no privacy, I mean none, as far as showering and changing clothes?

In addition to colored garments, servicemen and women can send in unit clothing to have the marks screened on the inside to preserve discretion.

Weightlifting is about the only sport/activity that I take them off for. On occasion I take my shirt off to mow the lawn and get yard work done. Probably not a good time since I take it off only to get a tan and cool off.

Is there an issue with wearing one half w/o the other? Like if I do the yard work w/o the top, is there any reason not have the bottoms on?

Most medical staff will be pretty respectful of religious clothing. They also get some religious training for reasons like this. Honestly, they can't be any harder to put on than any other clothing they put on an elderly person.

In addition to colored garments, servicemen and women can send in unit clothing to have the marks screened on the inside to preserve discretion.

But are the medical staff supposed to even see the garments? Even if they are respectful of them?

Here's my question:

I've worked in a nursing home. Staff are taught the sacredness of the garment and how to treat it.

Crazypotatoe, its ok for the medical staff of a nursing home to see the garment. Its not secret, its sacred. The issue here is that they treat the patient and the garment with respect.

Guest Alana

I've forgotten to bring regular undies to the dermatologist before. I felt a little uncomfortable in my garment bottoms under the paper robe, but it was ok. In the case of having someone else being in charge of dressing and bathing you on a continuing basis, I think wearing your garments seems totally appropriate. Maybe not perfectly ideal, but I know I'd insist on wearing them. This is totally only my opinion though. This is really where it comes down to the individual and the Lord. What is ok for one situation may not be for a similar but different situation.

This question is most appropriately answered in confidence with your bishop. The temple recommend interview itself contains instruction concerning this topic. This is not an appropriate discussion for an Internet forum. I hope the moderators will exercise some discretion here and pull this thread.

But are the medical staff supposed to even see the garments? Even if they are respectful of them?

Men who wear shirts with the top button undone show their garments all the time and people see them.

This question is most appropriately answered in confidence with your bishop. The temple recommend interview itself contains instruction concerning this topic. This is not an appropriate discussion for an Internet forum. I hope the moderators will exercise some discretion here and pull this thread.

It's not a question, but rather a discussion. Compared to many other discussions on the topic that we've had on this board in the past, this one has been extremely respectful.

Hidden

It's not a question, rather a discussion. Compared to many other discussions on the topic that we've had on this board in the past, this one has been extremely respectful.