Nobody To Seal To?

Melissa569

What if you are the ONLY person in your family who is (edit: "active") LDS? As in nobody in your family is interested (parents, brothers, sisters, spouse)? Who could you possibly get sealed to? And since its not your fault that nobody else is interested, would God go easy on you in the afterlife?

This is my situation, so I was just wondering. Everyone in my ward is trying to push me to move up in the church, and eventually go to the temple, but... They don't really understand that none of my family members or friends will ever be going. So I'm just wondering what I should say to them about that?

Edited by Melissa569

What if you are the ONLY person in your family who is LDS? As in nobody in your family is interested (parents, brothers, sisters, spouse)? Who could you possibly get sealed to? And since its not your fault that nobody else is interested, would God go easy on you in the afterlife?

This is my situation, so I was just wondering. Everyone in my ward is trying to push me to move up in the church, and eventually go to the temple, but... They don't really understand that none of my family members or friends will ever be going. So I'm just wondering what I should say to them about that?

Have no fear, one day you will have all the family in the next world that you could want. Do your genealogy and temple work for those who have passed on and remember we have an entire millennium in which many wonderful things will come to pass.

Heavenly Father will not punish you if your family never joins. That's not how a loving father acts.

I promise you that it will all be okay. I have my three beautiful children I'm sealed to. I now have a cousin who is a member. I have done work for my grandparents on one side and my brother. I have personal witnesses that they've accepted the work done for them.

Be at peace.

I went through the temple at 21 without going on a mission or getting married and back in the 70's that was unheard of. I moved to Utah so my family wouldn't see my garments. I had plenty of people to go to the temple with. I didn't know them going in, but I met so many wonderful people there. If you'd like to have your endowments then talk to your Bishop.

Edited by Cassiopeia

And since its not your fault that nobody else is interested, would God go easy on you in the afterlife?

On one hand, God is both just and merciful. On the other hand, how much missionary work are you doing with your family? If you're not trying at all, then you are somewhat at fault.

Everyone in my ward is trying to push me to move up in the church, and eventually go to the temple, but... They don't really understand that none of my family members or friends will ever be going. So I'm just wondering what I should say to them about that?

It's not so much "moving up in the church" as it is advancing your own progression. Sealing isn't the only thing that happens in the temple. It's the culmination of blessings, but there are many more blessings and ordinances that can only be received in the temple that you can participate in now, whether you're male, female, married, single, widowed, divorced, or married to a non-member. You should still strive to progress as much as you can, despite your current family situation.

Never say never. I was the only member in my family for a very long time and I was a single mom when I joined the church. My kids are now members and I feel very strongly that my parents accepted their Temple work when it was done for them.

I recently had a chance to be near many members of my extended family and several of them are now interested in the Church. In time I'll see where that goes but the point is to never give up hope.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm the only LDS member in my family, and I've often felt very sad over the fact that they strongly refuse to even consider this Church. It breaks my heart to know that we probably won't be sealed in this life (although it's not impossible). However, I recommend that you pray about this, and I'm sure that you will receive the same comfort that I did... the Lord will take care of everything in the end. Continue with your personal progression. Go to the temple and receive those wonderful blessings. Don't let your family's hang ups keep you from strengthening your relationship with Heavenly Father.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I might be able to talk about some of this with some family memebrs, I'm not sure. Most of them tend to completely cut off even family members, when there is too much pressuring and hounding for anything (club memberships, Avon or Amway recruiting, etc.).

As I said, nobody in my family is interested in the church NOW. But the way I came to be in the church was that when I was 6 years old, my mom, dad, brothers and sisters all got baptized in it while we were living in Germany (military family). I did too when I turned 8. No one ever went to a temple though. It was the only church around our area that had seperate sessions for American militar vs German families. So they joined that one for on-base fellowship, not really because they "believed in the gospel". But quite honestly, most of the people on our base went to that ward, and joined for the same reason.

After we got back tot he USA, they (my family) later all decided that they simply do not believe anything pre-Joseph Smith really happened. And that the bible is the only true word. None of them have been back in about 15 years, and they pretty much tell you to "drop it" when you bring it up.

I'm still deciding what I believe as far as anything pre-Joseph Smith, in the BOM. Again, I only attended ages 6-12. And even back then, our attendance as a family was extremely patchy. So I missed a lot. Its just the only church I've ever known, or was ever baptized into, so when I needed something god-related in my life, I went back to LDS. That's pretty much where I stand now.

Edited by Melissa569

On one hand, God is both just and merciful. On the other hand, how much missionary work are you doing with your family? If you're not trying at all, then you are somewhat at fault.

You're kidding me right? This is the kind of thing people say that actually drive people from the church.

A person can live the gospel standards and let that be the way in which they spread the gospel. I know when I tried to do missionary work with my family, I ended up homeless.

There is NO way she is responsible for anything more than setting a good example and asking them if they are interested. Once asked it isn't a good thing to nag about it.

Really, I can't believe you laid that guilt trip on her.

This is just not going to happen with me. I asked each person once, and I'm not going to pester them. I'm happy to discuss Mormonism ad nauseum with anyone who asks, but I'm just not a missionary.

After we got back tot he USA, they (my family) later all decided that they simply do not believe anything pre-Joseph Smith really happened

So they believe that anything from Joseph Smith on really happened?

You're kidding me right? This is the kind of thing people say that actually drive people from the church.

A person can live the gospel standards and let that be the way in which they spread the gospel. I know when I tried to do missionary work with my family, I ended up homeless.

There is NO way she is responsible for anything more than setting a good example and asking them if they are interested. Once asked it isn't a good thing to nag about it.

Really, I can't believe you laid that guilt trip on her.

This is just not going to happen with me. I asked each person once, and I'm not going to pester them. I'm happy to discuss Mormonism ad nauseum with anyone who asks, but I'm just not a missionary.

Okay, I get that my comments probably didn't quite come across right. I apologize.

I served a mission, but now I'm a really crappy member missionary. I don't like doing it when I'm personally involved. I don't mind when I can work it into conversations, but I don't even have the missionaries over for dinner because I know they're going to pressure me to give a referral. I used to lay down that pressure. I used to tell members that they never knew if their friends were ready or not, just to introduce us to someone.

My point in saying what I did was just to point out that the OP is not helpless. When asking about something because she's not at fault puts off one's own responsibility. We all have the obligation and instruction to be member missionaries, and it was intended to be more of a thought-provoking statement than an accusation or guilt trip.

Again, I apologize, mostly to Melissa, if it upset or offended her.

So they believe that anything from Joseph Smith on really happened?

Lol, well, just as far as the BOM is concerned. They believe that Joseph Smith existed as just a run-of-the-mill religious man who founded a religion, but they don't believe god appeared to him, or that Nephi came to south America, or that the plates ever existed. They also don't believe temple ceremonies/sealings are necessary, or that there are different "levels" of heaven so to speak.

They basically think there is just heaven and hell, and you either have enough human decency to go to heaven, or you don't. Yeah, they kinda think saints and priests and stuff might get a little more rank, but we will all be together. And that god decides all that on judgement day, pretty much... That's what I grew up hearing, post LDS activity. So I'm still trying to make up my mind what I do and don't believe. Doing research, looking into DNA/genetics of south Americans vs eastern cultures, etc. They can tell what people came from what cultures through those tests. So I'm trying to listen to both sides fairly and carefully way all the facts I gather.

Some people say you shoudln't be looking into that, because it only creates doubt... But I don't agree. I think the truth is the truth, no matter how much you learn. 1 + 1 will always equal 2, and further reasearch and education will only confirm it even more. So by educating myself in genetics and historical records of all those areas (both religious and non religious), the truth will become obvious to me, one way or the other. But of course, before you can find the truth, you have to be ready for whatever the truth may be.

Edited by Melissa569

A member missionary is often only expected to just live their religion without hiding it, not be too cliqueish as far as only hanging out with other Mormons, and answering questions if someone asks. So it sounds like you are already doing missionary work.:)

Maybe I sounded cranky without meaning to. I've got a bad toothache today, and I'm reacting badly to the pain pills. The missionaries asked a couple times, but I don't think they'll ask again. I was pretty firm last time. There's one guy at church who keeps pestering me about my mom because she came to my baptism. But, as she supports me in my decisions, I'm going to support her. I think the guy at church kinda has a crush on her. And me keeps asking me when I'm going to get pregnant when I've had many miscarriages and I wish he'd stop mentioning it. I feel bad enough as it is.

Maybe I sounded cranky without meaning to. I've got a bad toothache today, and I'm reacting badly to the pain pills. The missionaries asked a couple times, but I don't think they'll ask again. I was pretty firm last time. There's one guy at church who keeps pestering me about my mom because she came to my baptism. But, as she supports me in my decisions, I'm going to support her. I think the guy at church kinda has a crush on her. And me keeps asking me when I'm going to get pregnant when I've had many miscarriages and I wish he'd stop mentioning it. I feel bad enough as it is.

*hugs* I'm sorry you are in pain. I'm also sorry to hear you've had miscarriages. I wish I could help. All I can do is hug you again. *HUG*

I herniated a disc in my back a few weeks back. it was almost healed and some dogs jumped on me re injuring it. I can't take a lot of pain pills either, so I know how hard it is. Hang in there.

Oh and another *HUG*

What if you are the ONLY person in your family who is (edit: "active") LDS? As in nobody in your family is interested (parents, brothers, sisters, spouse)? Who could you possibly get sealed to? And since its not your fault that nobody else is interested, would God go easy on you in the afterlife?

I am in this situation kinda...I am sealed to my husband who is a member. I think you said that yours is not so obviously you cannot be sealed to him. No one should really push you to go to the temple. If you are progressing in the church there is nothing wrong with getting your endowment. I wouldn't worry to much about the sealing part that will all be sorted out in the after life. I guess you could be held responsible for not getting endowed/making certain covenants but I think that would be between you and HF. Going to the temple should be something that is prayed about and you should make sure you are ready to uphold the covenants you are about to make.

You never know if someday your family will join, either in this life or the next. Also, you have many ancestors that will invariably join. You do the work as necessary, and the linking chain will seal you up.

However, the most important part of the sealing is that which seals you to God and the family of God. While some will not accept the sealing, God will always accept you.