8: Mormon Proposition

Spencer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I thought it was pretty proven that 60-75% of the funds donated to Yes on 8 came from members of the church.

Isn't the proof in the film? If not I might have to find those stats...

Perhaps so; I was objecting to the implication that the money was funneled directly through the church via the church's standard donation slips.

That's just plain balderdash.

I think the church, itself, could have handled the whole situation more tactfully (and the church lobbyist who I talk to quite often agrees with me), but I think the gay community could have handled the backlash more tactfully as well.

Amen, amen, and amen.

I'll respond to your excellent points regarding Perez later.

I disagree, have you seen the film? This money went directly for the fight against prop 8.

While the Church may be in a unique position of asking members to contribute and the members actually delivering, for the purposes of tallying the numbers, individual Mormon donations cannot be counted as Church donations.

So while LDS members may have contributed 40 million dollars, that in no way can be viewed as Church contributions.

Matthew: The church has an entire Public Relations department which employes multiple lobbyists to ensure the church's point of view is defended legally. When the church initially filed its "in kind" contributions (totalling somewhere around 2000 dollars) it claimed the money was for hotel accomidations and food for their prop 8 lobbyist (which is the one I'm talking about - the one directly involved in prop 8. PM me if you want his name, as I promised him I wouldn't announce it publicly) who was sent to California multiple times.

I don't see anything wrong with the church having a public relations office, or ensuring that the desires of the religious community are represented before legislative bodies.

Seems like some Judge understands that Equal Protection Clause in the Constitution. Who would've thought?

Hopefully this does not lead to another even more costly round of donations, telephone banks, pamphlets, full moons, book burnings, torch-bearing villagers storming the castle, wild hounds on the moors and door-to-door campaigning.