Who asks people to give opening/closing prayers

EQ_Guy

The ward executive secretary coordinates the Sacrament meeting schedule. In some wards, he might ask right before the meeting starts. My current ward executive secretary calls a couple days in advance. I've also seen bishopric counselors asking before church starts, but it should be the secretary.

So, whose responsible for asking members to give the opening and closing prayers for sacrament? And are they usually asked right before sacrament or days in advance or what?

The bishop is responsible. Often this task is delegated to the executive secretary but in all cases names should be cleared with the bishop to avoid asking someone that should not be asked (for any number of reasons). Sometimes when the bishop is not present; the person asked may not have been cleared by the bishop for many reasons – in which case the person asked should have a current temple recommend.

But if a mistake is made it does not mean that the bishopric is to be condemned.

The Traveler

I know you are asking about sacrament meeting, but can I put in a word about asking for other meetings as well?

Please, please, please people, if you are responsible for getting prayers for Sunday School, RS, EQ, any meeting, please ask someone in advanced. Please do not stand at the front of the class and say, "Oh! Bro Smith could you give our opening prayer?" Please do not. It is embarrassing for someone who is unable to give public prayers to say no. It's also intimidating to some people to speak publically and to be called on at the last minute can be too much.

So, take a couple of minutes before the class/meeting to find 2 people to give opening/closing prayers. And if they say no, do not berate them, cajole them, or anything. Simply say ok, thank you and ask another. It is ok to say no in this church.

When I was a member of the Bishopric, putting together the program for each week's bulletin was one of my responsibilities, so I always tried to make it a practice to ask people the week before if they would be available the following week to give the invocation or the benediction. That way we avoided having "TBD" in the spot where the names of the prayers should be. I also agree with Beefche that it is always best to ask people in advance to give the prayers. May I also add that we should avoid asking for volunteers to give prayers. Everything decent and in order should always be the pattern that we follow for all of our meetings.

Many wards ask a few days in advance so the names can be printed on the program.

So, whose responsible for asking members to give the opening and closing prayers for sacrament? And are they usually asked right before sacrament or days in advance or what?

Keith already gave the answer. But let me add this. If a member of the Bishopric asked me to give the invocation, so be it. I simply don't question the motive behind the last minute request. Now, what I do question and to myself, whether or not I can invoke the Spirit for the meeting. Whether my prayer will be affected and is heard by the Godhead in bringing forth this Spirit for those who seat upon the stand and those who are listening. Usually, it is done properly, you feel the confirmation or the presence of the Holy Ghost.

The goal for any member, always be ready to give a proper and affected prayer in behalf the ward membership.

in our branch prayers are usually planned right before. i make the program and prayers are always listed as "by invitation". we visited a branch recently that names were printed in the program so i assume they knew in advance. our branch pres has no counselors so he does all the conducting so he does all the asking. there have been rare occasions where it was not done before hand and it was obvious. you can see that quick glance around the room and then announcing the name while looking at the person for that quick nod of "ok". lol i've always found that amusing. the way i see it everyone at church should be able to give a prayer. of course the bp knows who can't do to disciplinary action (that's not what i mean by "should be able to") or just won't accept responsibilities (we have a few that won't do anything). there was a time when i was feeling very down and withdrawn from the spirit and i was asked in one of those last min deals. i just didn't feel like i could that sunday, i just nodded yes to him and then leaned over to my husband and asked if he could do it. if anyone noticed the change no one mentioned it, not even the bp asked me about it. i didn't feel embarrassed or anything. the ppl in my branch are very respectful of that kind of thing.

In my ward is usually the Bishop but if he forgets, he makes signs from his seat to the person he wants to offer the prayer.

Suzie, I have in my head an image of your bishop doing funny hand motions to someone who isn't understanding his request. And then having the person behind the one being asked thinking it is he being asked.

I'm sure it goes smoother than that. But, I can see the funny ways this can be done and the confusion it could cause. :lol:

Years ago, my Gospel Doctrine teacher would call on "Br. Smith" to pray week after week. Week after week, Sis. "Smith" would stand up and pray..... Bro. Smith had been excommunicated but attended every week until he was able to be re-baptised. Everyone else in the room knew what was going on, but the GosDoc teacher never "got it." (of course, week after week he would call on me to read--calling by my sister's name. Week after week, I would correct him and then read. I guess there were a lot of things that he didn't "get")

I'm sure it goes smoother than that. But, I can see the funny ways this can be done and the confusion it could cause. :lol:

Actually no, it doesn't go smoother than that. :lol: Sometimes if the person can't understand or ignore him on purpose (the new ones who still feel shy about giving public prayers) then he calls one of the YM to assist him. Now that's the scenario if he forgets to tell you during the meeting but sometimes he forgets that too so you are suddenly called by "surprise" to give the prayer (and a smile on his face). My bishop is pretty old.

in our branch prayers are usually planned right before. i make the program and prayers are always listed as "by invitation". we visited a branch recently that names were printed in the program so i assume they knew in advance. our branch pres has no counselors so he does all the conducting so he does all the asking. there have been rare occasions where it was not done before hand and it was obvious. you can see that quick glance around the room and then announcing the name while looking at the person for that quick nod of "ok". lol i've always found that amusing. the way i see it everyone at church should be able to give a prayer. of course the bp knows who can't do to disciplinary action (that's not what i mean by "should be able to") or just won't accept responsibilities (we have a few that won't do anything). there was a time when i was feeling very down and withdrawn from the spirit and i was asked in one of those last min deals. i just didn't feel like i could that sunday, i just nodded yes to him and then leaned over to my husband and asked if he could do it. if anyone noticed the change no one mentioned it, not even the bp asked me about it. i didn't feel embarrassed or anything. the ppl in my branch are very respectful of that kind of thing.

How big is your branch?

Thank you Keith for such a great reply. :)

When I was a member of the Bishopric, putting together the program for each week's bulletin was one of my responsibilities, so I always tried to make it a practice to ask people the week before if they would be available the following week to give the invocation or the benediction. That way we avoided having "TBD" in the spot where the names of the prayers should be. I also agree with Beefche that it is always best to ask people in advance to give the prayers. May I also add that we should avoid asking for volunteers to give prayers. Everything decent and in order should always be the pattern that we follow for all of our meetings.

Oh this is funny. I basically just asked Suzie the same question, right before getting to your reply below.

Suzie, I have in my head an image of your bishop doing funny hand motions to someone who isn't understanding his request. And then having the person behind the one being asked thinking it is he being asked.

I'm sorry, but what didn't this person "get" by asking that ex-communicated member every week to pray? And what did everyone else in the room know?

Years ago, my Gospel Doctrine teacher would call on "Br. Smith" to pray week after week. Week after week, Sis. "Smith" would stand up and pray..... Bro. Smith had been excommunicated but attended every week until he was able to be re-baptised. Everyone else in the room knew what was going on, but the GosDoc teacher never "got it." (of course, week after week he would call on me to read--calling by my sister's name. Week after week, I would correct him and then read. I guess there were a lot of things that he didn't "get")

Yup, I'm shy about public speaking too and was asked last Sunday to give the opening prayer. I've found that the more I do it, the less terrified I am. :)

I actually just got a call from my ward secretary a few minutes ago asking me to give the closing prayer on Sunday. I'm terrified to speak in public, but I said yes anyway because I need to overcome this.

Yup, I'm shy about public speaking too and was asked last Sunday to give the opening prayer. I've found that the more I do it, the less terrified I am. :)

This is why the church has pushed for youths speakers in order to allow them the time to gain confidence.

Like you both (kimiko), being a young convert, my scariest moment was giving a Sacrament blessing. There was no card to read from back then and I had to remember each line. It took me more than three times (in Japan) in order to get it right before a Japanese congregation. Man…that was the pits. I was completely red face after that but what a loving people they are. :D

When we do have a program, not only are the prayers "by invitation", so are the talks, most of the time. In fact, we should not even waste the paper on a program. The Bishopric, routinely, call someone on Saturday, for a talk on Sunday. The opening and closing prayers are solicited, by the Bishopric, right before Sacrament begins. Our Ward is very "last minute", unfortunately.

How big is your branch?

small enough that we don't have counselors for the bp. lol with the recent ppl that moved out if we get 25-30 on a sunday that's a crowd (and my family would be 8 of those lol). i usually only print 20 programs and pass out one or two to each family, sometimes we have extras. we have a lot of sisters, very limited on priesthood holders that can fill callings.