Sacrament opening and closing prayers

EQ_Guy

This is like a follow-up post about the last one about sacrament prayers. I've noticed that in my ward often they'll have a married couple give the opening and closing. Recently I was asked to give the opening, I'm single, and they had a single sister give the closing. Do you think the bishopric was trying to send me some kind of message by having both of us give the prayers on the same day? :blush:

Edited by EQ_Guy
typo

There was a talk in the General Leadership Training a few years ago about the appropriate way to have a Sacrament meeting. (I just spent 20 minutes looking for my copy but couldn't find it.) One of the things that it specifically says is that couples should not be asked to give the Sacrament meeting prayers because doing so can give the impression that singles are either "less than" or unworthy of giving group prayers.

One of the things that it specifically says is that couples should not be asked to give the Sacrament meeting prayers because doing so can give the impression that singles are either "less than" or unworthy of giving group prayers.

Being a widower (and thus currently single) myself, I appreciate the thought, but see no reason why married couples couldn't offer SM prayers--as long as singles are also asked to do so. I'm not offended if a married couple offers prayers one week, while singles are asked another week.

HEP

Being a widower (and thus currently single) myself, I appreciate the thought, but see no reason why married couples couldn't offer SM prayers--as long as singles are also asked to do so. I'm not offended if a married couple offers prayers one week, while singles are asked another week.

HEP

I agree. It unfortunately tends to be the trend, however, to always ask a sister to give the opening prayer, and her husband to give the closing. In my ward, I've started to noticed that couples rarely give the prayers on the same week anymore. A married sister might give the opening prayer, and a single or married-to-someone-else brother might give the closing prayer. But I've noticed a definite attempt (in my ward, at least) to break from this stereotypical tradition.

It's common in my ward for married couples to give the opening and closing prayers in SM. But certainly not every week--I gave the opening prayer two weeks ago. :)

Maybe I have a "rebellious" bishop for allowing this? :lol:

HEP

No, I think you -- like most, probably -- have a bishop that is just steeped in tradition. Truthfully, I'm surprised my bishop keeps it changed up as much as he does. Maybe he doesn't notice or have anything to do with that part of Sacrament meeting workings.

Actually, its so funny. My hubby was conducting, he is really green at this, and forgot to ask a person to do the opening. He gets up and says we'll sing opening hymn #___ and have opening prayer by, guess who? ME! Then he sat down and mouthed sorry....everyone laughed 'cause they new he had goofed. Gives 'helpmeet' a new meaning. Yes, he made lunch that day.

I'm sure the members in my ward wish they could see a predictable pattern. I have never seen a husband and wife asked to do the prayers, actually. I guess my bishropic are a bunch of loose cannons! Keeps us on our toes.

Edited by jayanna