Mortal Lessons

Over43

I don't use the word "compelling" to often, particularly in regards to film. Yet, yesterday the Documentary Channel ran a documentary entitled "Mortal Lessons", which I found to be quite compelling. It is an hour and a half presentation concerning two women who were diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. One had lived past her "expected" prognosis for 4 years, the second had lived 5 months longer than expected (and lived another 6 months past the filming...).

The film also interviewed social, palliative and hospice care workers who work with the dying on a daily basis. Various religious points of view were expressed without naming religions.

Two things stood out, 1. In the Western World we really have distanced ourselves from death with the attidtue that "That is something that happens to other people", and 2. bottom line, we are all going to die.

It reminded me of the first sentence of a book I once read and can't remember the title of, "You can eat all the blue berries you want, do all the Bickram Yoga you can, and run countless marathons, you are still going to die..." (Or something like that.)

In "the Church" we seem to have a more favorable attitude toward our deaths, and yet I think we still fight the idea. (I know I do...)

If you can catch the show on the Doc. Channnel or pick up the DVD somewhere, I would highly recommend it. It was well done.

I made mentioned yesterday and remember your post...a friend asked, "How is your health lately?" I told her my state of heath and I wish the Savior will allow me to return to Him now. She was appalled. The problem she didn't know, I am ready to cross and have no fear as other members do. :P

Have you notice people reaction when you tell them "I am ready to cross the veil?"

In "the Church" we seem to have a more favorable attitude toward our deaths, and yet I think we still fight the idea. (I know I do...)

I caught parts of that too, yes very compelling. I think most LDS would call it 'being good stewards of what they have been given' as opposed to fighting death, in turn, that lengthens life and improves the quality of life. I am not there yet but have helped my parents through the process but I would say if we live righteously towards the end of life we welcome the idea of returning to our Heavenly Father, at least that's what my parents said.

I think working through the fear of death is a lifelong process for most and depends on life experiences. I "fight the idea" too, mostly because I know I have responsibilities here still, husband and children who need me.

We fight the idea mainly because we fear the unkown. Yes, we have faith in the knowledge we have of what is going to happen beyond the veil but this is the ultimate test of that faith and I don't know many people whose faith is strong enough to welcome that ultimate test.

I made mentioned yesterday and remember your post...a friend asked, "How is your health lately?" I told her my state of heath and I wish the Savior will allow me to return to Him now. She was appalled. The problem she didn't know, I am ready to cross and have no fear as other members do. :P

Have you notice people reaction when you tell them "I am ready to cross the veil?"

My mom is like you in this way. She often says that she is ready to go, because she is ready to return to her Savior and ready to start working on the other side of the veil. She is about to turn 50 so she isn't close to her expected lifespan at all. But she has been making comments like this for as long as I can remember. I don't much like the comments myself because I want to have more time to spend with her before she goes. I know I will see her again but I want to make the most of the time I have with her in this life.