What price a woman's hair?

Sean1427

Ok, I'm doing a bit of research on culture (remember, I live and work in the ME) and would be interested to see how the women on this site answer the question I've got for them.

I just recently read that the average American woman spends about $50,000 on her hair over the course of her lifetime. That would be just under $700/year for a 75-year lifetime. Of course, this figure is dwarfed by what 28-year-old Brandi Irwin of NY spends annually for her hair, $47,000, most of which goes to hair extensions.

My question is simple. How much do you think the women you know spend annually on their hair?

Thanks, UrbanFool. I suspect there are a lot of men out there who likely spend much more than you.

If we count the cost of my razors into the equation I probably do.

I think it really varies, so I think Ms. Hair Extensions is driving up the average, right along with those who visit expensive boutiques. Most woman I know go to Super Cuts or their equivalent.

When you say spend on their hair do you include home dye kits , shampoo, scruncis, combs, brushes, pins and clips, and hairspray? Because I imagine if we limit things to professional services that might change things a bit (or if you are, not doing so probably changes things).

Of course, this figure is dwarfed by what 28-year-old Brandi Irwin of NY spends annually for her hair, $47,000, most of which goes to hair extensions.

Who?

I buy a specific brand of shampoo, but it's only around $3.50 a bottle. I buy two different varieties (one for oily hair, one for volume) and switch off. I go several months without having to replace a bottle (I'm a SAHM and don't shower every day). I don't use condition because it only makes my hair oily again. I use very little other product. I have super fine, stick straight hair that I only get cut about three times a year, and when I do, it's from a friend in the ward who charges $18, or Supercuts. I don't dye or perm (or even do very much at-home styling). I doubt I'll even spend $25,000 on my hair over the course of my life.

Dravin, when I ask how much a woman spends on her hair, I'm not limiting it in any way. As I mentioned, I've read that over the course of a lifetime, women in the US spend about $50,000 on their hair. I do not know what that all includes. I doubt that figure takes into account someone like Brandi Irwin, whom I mentioned. Brandi coughs up $10,000 for high-end hair extensions three times a year. Added to this are coloring sessions every six weeks for $300 a pop, etc. But the $50,000/lifetime for the average American woman probably includes everything. In any event, when I ask the question, I'm thinking about anything and everything a woman would use for her hair.

Edited by Sean1427

How ridiculous! I could never fathom spending so much on my hair. I'm pretty lucky my hair is low maintenance, despite the fact that I have to straighten it daily in order to conquer the waves and frizz. I get it cut about 2-3 times a year at a low price salon, so 15 x 3. Then on top of $45 a year to get it cut, I use Treseme Shampoo and Conditioner, and I usually have to replace that about 5 times a year. So 5 x 2 x 4 + $45. Plus the cost of tools, a hair straightener, which cost me about $25, and a hair curler, which cost me around $15. I let my hair air dry, and I honestly avoid using serums and sprays because I like the more natural look, so that saves on buying a hair dryer and creams. Plus, I have thick, red-head hair as it is, so I have to be careful with it frizzing, weighing it down, and making it too oily. We buy dollar store combs and have been using them for years now, so that only adds on a couple dollars. I also don't use accessories or hair clips, I just wear my hair down everyday to save time in the morning. So overall, I spend about $130 on my hair yearly, give or take.

Since I don't dye or perm my hair or have it styled, I highly doubt I'd ever reach that peak of $50,000 haha. In fact, doing the math, I'll probably only spend about $10,000 on my hair in a lifetime, which is still quite a lot, but thankfully not as much as Brandi Irwin. What kind of job does she have anyway that she could waste so much on her hair and still have enough money to live? To me, there are more important things to invest money on despite hair. I'd rather put that towards a car or a house, something that holds value and is useful. What about charity? Haha, I know I'm digressing from the point of the post, but this subject does strike up an interesting point in which how much is too much to spend on vanity?

Growing up in the South my grandma always told me that my hair was my crowing glory. I spend a good bit on my hair. I get it colored every eight weeks or so and that costs me about 75 with a cut. I use basic shampoo and conditioner not the cheapest stuff but not the most expensive ever. In the mornings I blow dry my hair and then roll the top and straighten the bottom. My hair is pretty long so I do put volumeizer in it and use hairspray when I done. I am currently pregnant so I doubt once the baby gets here I will do so much to my hair. I do like getting fixed up and stuff so I would say I do spend a good amount on my hair and make-up.

Ok, I'm doing a bit of research on culture (remember, I live and work in the ME) and would be interested to see how the women on this site answer the question I've got for them.

I just recently read that the average American woman spends about $50,000 on her hair over the course of her lifetime. That would be just under $700/year for a 75-year lifetime. Of course, this figure is dwarfed by what 28-year-old Brandi Irwin of NY spends annually for her hair, $47,000, most of which goes to hair extensions.

My question is simple. How much do you think the women you know spend annually on their hair?

It really doesn't matter...a woman glory is her hair.

It really doesn't matter...a woman glory is her hair.

My only beef with that idea is that there is indeed a point where a woman makes her “glory’ into an obsession. We women are compelled anyway to keep up our appearance for the benefit of finding/keeping a man or impressing the public, but shouldn’t our “glory” be measured not entirely by how we look, but by our actions and accomplishments as well?

My only beef with that idea is that there is indeed a point where a woman makes her “glory’ into an obsession. We women are compelled anyway to keep up our appearance for the benefit of finding/keeping a man or impressing the public, but shouldn’t our “glory” be measured not entirely by how we look, but by our actions and accomplishments as well?

What about those women who are bald? No glory? :eek:

True..this is only part of her glory (see Temple Endowment narration). Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Granted, it's been awhile since I've been to the temple, but I don't recall any mention of a woman's hair in the endowment narrative.

I am not a major feminist, but I find it demeaning to say that a woman's glory is her hair.

I use Suave shampoo and conditioner, and that's only a dollar for each bottle. I only have to use a littel bit, so each bottle will last me about 2 weeks. So that's about $4 per month. Some times I wear it down, or up in my favorite clip, which was only $5, and I bought it 3 years ago. Its still in perfect condition.

I don't get professional hair jobs done. I have something called a "Creaclip" (it was a Christmas gift). Its a perfect cutting guide that clips onto your hair and slides down, so you can trim your own hair perfectly, all by yourself. It came with a smaller one for bangs too. So I cut my own hair at home. And it does a very professional job, so I love it.

So basically, the only thing I ever spend money on for my hair is shampoo and conditioner. $4 per month, that's only $48 per year. Over a 75 year lifespan, that's only $3,600. Not even close to the other estimate :)

Granted, it's been awhile since I've been to the temple, but I don't recall any mention of a woman's hair in the endowment narrative.

I am not a major feminist, but I find it demeaning to say that a woman's glory is her hair.

Exactly!

This is how I see it: When we meet Heavenly Father, he won’t judge us by how well we kept our hair in our lifetime, but how productively we spent our time and how well we obeyed his commandments. To put it simply, our hair, no matter how shiny or long or amazingly spiffy the styling is, plays no role in our salvation.

I think when it comes down to it, women who spend ghastly amounts of money ($50,000+ yearly) on their hair may possibly have issues with self-image, or are incredibly selfish. Like I said earlier, couldn't that have been used for something more useful such as towards helping a charity?

This phrase is used in the Bible which is where it's coming from.

1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

I get my hair highlighed 3-4 times a year and that costs me about $75-100.

My hair is one length so I rarely get it cut.

I buy Burts Bees Shampoo which is about $8/bottle and I try to use small amounts because it is expensive. It has no harsh chemicals in it.

No hairspray or other product.

If I didn't dislike my own hair color so much, I probably wouldn't bother but I just don't have a nice hair color naturally and I look much better with some highlights.

Highlighting at home was a bad experience and made my hair brassy. For me, it's worth it to pay and get it done right. :D

Guest Alana

I probably average $50 a year with shampoo and cuts. I don't use extra products or blow dry and buy my hair bands at the dollar store. Nonetheless, I really like my hair :D

Guest mirancs8

I rarely get a hair cut. It's only in the past year that I've went to get hair cuts every 8 weeks or so. Before than I went years without ever getting my hair cut. I use Suave shampoo and a cheap conditioner both last me a long time. I can't wash my hair everyday since it's curly and the more you wash the more it get's dry. I use whatever mouse that is on sale and the cheapest for styling.

Unfortunately this year I had to start coloring my hair... ugh. I have dark hair and have gotten enough grays to make it necessary to color my hair.

I think my kids cost more to get their hair cuts every 6 weeks compared to what it costs for me.