Question about church gifts to new converts

EQ_Guy

I've seen many cases of members getting new members a gift (cards, scriptures, marking pencils, books or what have you), usually the ones who were close to them throughout the teaching process, but I've never seen the ward (e.i. paid out of the ward budget) give a gift.

When I got baptized the missionaries gave me a set of scriptures.

When I was RS president I gave various gifts to adult women who got baptized. A framed copy of the RS Declaration, a set of scriptures, a glass box with the Houston Temple etched into the glass, a peice of wood with 'Families Can Be Forever' painted on it. Just different things that we have made at our yearly Super Saturday.

I got a LOT of books from memebers of the ward. I really apriciated that. Talmage jesus and stuff... :)

'Jesus The Christ' would be the book I would give to the new convert -- I have only read it once many years ago -- I was really absorbed into James Talmage's message of 'The Saviour -- so much great information -- especially regarding an LDS perspective on Christ in some things pertaining to the LDS beliefs.

It's been many moons since I have had my soul sharpened and edified with the congregation, so I am not sure what the protocol with gifts are. I don't think the new convert needs a baby shower of streaming gifts -- but I think that something like 'Jesus The Christ' or a gift of illustrations book that UrbanFool mentioned would be a great gesture that maybe a Bishop could do on behalf of the ward -- but done in a private manner.

Some high school friends of my wife who were lifelong members gave us a CD set of the tabernacle choir singing the hymns along with a CD full of primary songs when we got baptized. Our neighbor also gave us a nice framed copy of the family proclamation which now hangs in our entryway. :)