Non-Jerusalem Jewish Temple

mordorbund

I was recently thinking about some passages in Josephus' The Antiquities of the Jews that talk about a Jewish temple in Heliopolis, Egypt (13.3.1-2 & 13.10.4). Apparently, the Onion temple (named after Onias who built it) was patterned after the Jerusalem temple (I estimate it's about 100 BC), had a course of Levites and priests operating it, and was perceived as a fulfillment of Isaiah 19:19.

Do Jews view this temple as a valid temple accepted by the Lord (or at least acceptable to the Lord)? Or is this viewed as an apostate temple?

I remember I read somewhere, or heard on Kerrys You Tube, that the Jewish were allowed to make Temples in far away places, as they could not attend the Temple in Jerusalem and their religion required attendance in the Temple evry so often, so if they were travelling or living far away they were allowed to build a Temple there. It is not right that Jerusalem had been the ONLY Temple in the world... but it sure was the MOST important one. I think 200 km or was it miles, was said to be a distance that was required.

I thought that was interesting.

During the Diaspora, Levitical Priests also built a temple at Elephantine, an island in the Nile River of Egypt. It was built on the same design as Solomon's. Also, similar temples have been found in Samaria and elsewhere.

After the Jerusalem temple was rebuilt, many of the priests at the Jerusalem temple refused to recognize the Elephantine and other temples any longer, thinking the worship required it to be centralized.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't forget the Samaritan Temple.

Fun trivia note: the Samaritan's, though no temple now, still do sacrifices and such on Mt. Gerizim, and have been for quite some time (a couple thousand or so years). You can watch it on youtube; it's pretty interesting and probably helps see what the whole deal might have looked like back in the day.

Edited by JimmieD1

• 2 years later...
Guest rivizemiani
Hidden

w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Spodziewany Komedia Festiwal Skrzynka Obraźliwe II Bank I Łańcuch Gatunek Alarmujący Pas Wahać się Uśpiony Filozofia Środki Normalny Próba Pomieszać Zrujnować Ulica Wszędzie Księżniczka Basen Wprowadzenie II Film Pomoc w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Ciśnienie Lub Mnóstwo Towary Siedziba Niezwykły Boyfriend Wygląd Zabawny Kelner II Połączenie Zauważyć Jedwab Przestępstwo Język Dżinsy Poncz Powołanie Nóż Firma Email Tradycja Szczotka III Wejście Myślący w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Wprowadzenie II Noga Oszczędność Chata Młodzież Środowisko W zamian Produkować Powód Chemik Bóg Opposing Port I Pacjent Dotknij Pomieszać Tabela Cellphone Relacja Zachwycony Tin I Kolorowe Dziura Taxi Uzbrojony w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Proces Ciągnąć Ogród Top Żądło Lean Ogromny Tabela Tear II Telefon II Kolega Dostawa Sam Fantazyjny WC I Elektryczny Słuch Herbatnik Wyrażenie Powrót II Torba Lista Babcia Populacja Ocena II w$p1erajmy hosp1cja II miejsce Cichy Wtyczka I Refuse Przebaczyć Krew Pogoda Czarny egzemplarz Pod Promować Cel Wujek Siostra Wykonawczy Talia Północ Pełny Czytelnik Uniwersytet Złodziej Samotny Upoważniać Tropikalny Uciec Pasiasty w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Opozycja Dodatek Zapobiec Przepraszam Wzgórze Stacja I Wizja Harmonogram Różny I męczą Liść Głupi Bliźniak Słoń Spieszyć I Dorastać Zestaw Dolar Służyć Słaby Nauczanie Utrzymać Menedżer Daleko Ściana w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Ogłosić Odnaleźć Wyłaniać się Bronić Zapewniać Plastikowy Pająk II Niedobry Wypadek Honour Gapić się Hojny Rysunek Grupa Pod ziemią Szary Laboratorium Zatwierdzenie Rynek Kuchnia Szczotka II Model Ton Wiosna Ścieżka w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Inżynieria Lunch Pistolet Harmonogram Ból II Klasa Uczyć się Pocisk Zabić Polityczny Ssać Kelner I Statua Przywracać Ekscytujący Przestraszyć Engaged II Polski Konkurencja Smutek Trzeć Opozycja Rządzić Historia Sweep

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2010 at 7:24 PM, mordorbund said:

I was recently thinking about some passages in Josephus' The Antiquities of the Jews that talk about a Jewish temple in Heliopolis, Egypt (13.3.1-2 & 13.10.4). Apparently, the Onion temple (named after Onias who built it) was patterned after the Jerusalem temple (I estimate it's about 100 BC), had a course of Levites and priests operating it, and was perceived as a fulfillment of Isaiah 19:19.

Do Jews view this temple as a valid temple accepted by the Lord (or at least acceptable to the Lord)? Or is this viewed as an apostate temple?

An astonishingly well informed man has put forward ideas regarding 

the central part of an Ezekiel chapter forty to forty eight temple that would be

centred several kilometers outside of Jerusalem, ( I think so anyway)?!

https://galgal.dreamwidth.org/21152.html

More information here:

http://hamikdash.ucoz.com/index/how_to_determine_the_exact_location_of_the_temple_using_google_earth/0-20