Origin of "Keys" of the Priesthood

mordorbund

Does anyone know where the term "keys" comes from when talking about the Priesthood? It looks like the biblical precedent is Matt 16:19, which talks about keys of the kingdom of heaven. The earliest reference to this I can find in modern scripture is April 1829 when the keys of the gift of translation are referred to (D&C 6:29)

I seem to remember somebody on this site saying Parley Pratt used the term and it was adopted by Joseph, but I don't recall any documentation around it.

Although Moroni is mentioned as having "the keys of the record of the stick of Ephraim" (D&C 27:5)—the plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated-we have no evidence that any of the angels or heavenly messengers who visited the young prophet during the years of 1823 to 1827 gave him any keys of priesthood authority. Elder George Q. Cannon said:

If you will read the history of the Church from the beginning, you will find that Joseph was visited by various angelic beings, but not one of them professed to give him the keys until John the Baptist came to him. Moroni, who held the keys of the record of the stick of Ephraim, visited Joseph; he had doubtless, also, visits from Nephi and it may be from Alma and others, but though they came and had authority, holding the authority of the Priesthood, we have no account of their ordaining him, neither did Joseph ever profess, because of the ministration of these angels, to have authority to administer in any of the ordinances of the Kingdom of God. (Journal of Discourses, 13:47.)

Earliest recording was found in Isaiah: Isa. 22:22

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Edited by Hemidakota

I seem to remember somebody on this site saying Parley Pratt used the term and it was adopted by Joseph, but I don't recall any documentation around it.

I believe Pratt was converted by reading a published Book of Mormon and that he didn't meet Joseph Smith for the first time until autumn of 1830. Wherever the "keys" terminology comes from, it probably wasn't Pratt.

Exactly...he made a detour with his lovely bride to a public bed and breakfast where a man had a copy of the Book of Mormon that was left there by one of Joseph's brother - who was on his mission selling books. The book was given to the inn keeper instead of money. Apostle Pratt asked if he could read the book. That evening until the next morning, he wanted to meet the man who wrote it. At the time, Pratt was a Campbellnite, serving with Sidney Ridgon. (see Autobiograph of Parley P. Pratt, 1807-1857)

Pratt had nothing to do with the term...Joseph learned it from Moroni.

Edited by Hemidakota

How's about this - Hemidakota, I seem to recall you mentioning that you have versions of the JS revelations that show versioning. Why don't you check sections 6 and 7 and see if the term keys was in the original, or if they got retro-fitted in like the office of High Priests in section 20.

D&C? Section 7:7.

In this revelation (D&C 7:7), the Savior indicates that he has given to Peter, James, and John the "keys" of his ministry until he comes. When John the Baptist later restored the Aaronic Priesthood (D&C 13), he specifically stated that he was acting under the direction of Peter, James, and John. (See HC 1:39 and D&C 27:7-8, 12.)

Background Section 7

One of the most frequently misunderstood chapters in all the scriptures is John 21, which tells of the appearance of the resurrected Jesus Christ on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. Verses 20-23 are particularly difficult:

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?

Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?

Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? (John 21:20-23 )

Instead of simply wondering about these verses, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery asked the Lord concerning the exact status of John the Beloved, and they were privileged to read the words that were written by John himself concerning this incident. (D&C 7.)

Later on as they continued with the translation of the Book of Mormon, they received additional insights into the mission and condition of John. When the resurrected Jesus Christ appeared to his chosen twelve disciples among the descendants of Lehi and asked them to express their hearts' desire, he indicated to three of them, "Ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me." (3 Ne. 28:6.) (Companion to Your Study of the Doctrine and Covenants, vol. 1by Daniel H. Ludlow, p.82)

What may help is BOAP website: The D&C

Concerning High Priest, this was given on June 3, 1831.

By the way, section 7 can be found in this volume: Annotated History of Joseph Smith Vol. 1 Chapter 4 (Apr. 1829) It brings out the difference of the earlier editions of the Book of Commandments (1833) verses the Doctrine and Covenants (1835). See 1833 Book of Commandments and 1835 Doctrine and Covenants — Cross Index

Edited by Hemidakota

It looks like the term "keys" was added to section 7 sometime between 1833 and 1835. The bolded portions appear in the 1835, but not the 1833 version:

1. And the Lord said unto me, John, my beloved, what desirest thou? For if you shall ask what you will, it shall be granted unto you.

2. And I said unto him: Lord, give unto me power over death, that I may live and bring souls unto thee.

3. And the Lord said unto me: Verily, verily, I say unto thee, because thou desirest this thou shalt tarry until I come in my glory, and shall prophesy before nations, kindreds, tongues and people.

4. And for this cause the Lord said unto Peter; if I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? For he desired of me that he might bring souls unto me, but thou desiredst that thou mightest speedily come unto me in my kingdom.

5. I say unto thee, Peter, this was a good desire; but my beloved has desired that he might do more, or a greater work yet among men than what he has before done.

6. Yea, he has undertaken a greater work; therefore, I will make him as flaming fire and a ministering angel; he shall minister for those who shall be heirs of salvation who dwell on the earth.

7. And I will make thee to minister for him and for thy brother James; and unto you three I will give this power and the keys of this ministry until I come.

8. Verily I say unto you, ye shall both have according to your desires, for ye both joy in that which ye have desired.

The term does appear in the 1833 Book of Commandments for section 6. Does anyone have a pre-1833 transcript of D&C 6?

Did this help you?

Not quite. The earliest reference we found is 1833. It would be nice to see some earlier manuscripts and cross the timeline with church history.

I think the key of David would have more bearing on the origin than the keys of the kingdom. But it would have come through pondering. I'm wondering who the original ponderer(s) was(were) and when that question/answer took place.

For instance, we know that when the Saints moved to Kirtland that there was already a group practicing something similar to the United Order. Exposure to that caused the Prophet to pray and receive a revelation on what the proper order is.

I suspect the term "keys" came about similarly, with someone coining the term and Smith adopting it. I don't know of any other churches that talk about keys, except with respect to Peter having them.

So what would bridge the gap between what I've already learned here and what I want to know? I'd like to see an earlier transcript of section 6 (or some equally dated document) with mention of keys.