How Does LDS Church resolve conflicts with the Bible ???

CHowell

The Bible ends with this warning, "I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God shall add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18, 19).

The entire Bible is inspired, not just certain parts!

You didn't really mean to post that, did you? Do you honestly believe that that means the entire Bible is covered by that passage? Do you think John had the entire Bible out, and he was writing in the back, knowing that since he was out of paper that God would never open the heavens again and give revelations for men to write down? Was Revelations even the last book written in the Bible? You may want to research where in the Bible that same warning was given centuries before. Does that invalidate what was added later?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that warning was written exclusively in the book of revelations, which was written by John, who happened to be exiled on Patmos at the moment. The bible wasn't even compiled into one book until hundreds of years later, if I remember correctly.

It was not written in the Book of Revelations. No such book exists. It was written in the Book of Revelation. The New Testament is not printed chronologically.

Excuse me for making a small error. =O

Also, while the new testament may not be printed chronologically, I am fairly certain that the book of revelation was chronologically the last to be written. Some 60 years after the resurrection of Christ.

Excuse me for making a small error. =O

Also, while the new testament may not be printed chronologically, I am fairly certain that the book of revelation was chronologically the last to be written. Some 60 years after the resurrection of Christ.

Do you think that John had all of the other writings at his disposal while in exile on Patmos when he wrote that? The Gospel of John is considered dated later than the Book of Revelation. And do you discard similar statements other places in the Bible?

Do you think that John had all of the other writings at his disposal while in exile on Patmos when he wrote that? The Gospel of John is considered dated later than the Book of Revelation. And do you discard similar statements other places in the Bible?

Not sure where you misinterpreted my position on this issue, but let me remind you that in my first post I was confirming the statements regarding the "warning" in Revelation to only apply to that book.

I also don't believe John had all the other books at his disposal.

Not sure how this confusion came about, maybe you can quote me and show where I indicate that the warning in Revelation means we shouldn't have any new scriptures?

I've looked at a few datelines, there is some disagreement about whether Revelation was completed before or after the Epistles of John.

I was under this impression as well. When I studied this, I remember there being discrepancies but the general consensus is that John and Revelation were the last books, and were finished very closely to the same time (relatively speaking)

No, the bible does not end with this warning, the Book of Revelations end in that warning.

anatess,

Not only the Book of Revelation but do we want to add to any of God's word or take away from it?

Wouldn't it be a very bad idea for me or you to add to or take away from say; Romans or 1 Peter or Isaiah for example?

But, you're right, the entire Bible is inspired.

Yes but by Who?

anatess,

Not only the Book of Revelation but do we want to add to any of God's word or take away from it?

Wouldn't it be a very bad idea for me or you to add to or take away from say; Romans or 1 Peter or Isaiah for example?

Or Mosiah, or Alma, or Ether, or Moroni, as well. I assume you mean to include all writings of prophets who were inspired of God, right?

If that was for me, I work for a living. If not then my apologies.

I was speaking of the original poster. I don't think I've seen him/her for a couple days. Unless that's you and you have a different username now. You don't need to be cranky about it.

Edited by UrbanFool

Just wondering whre the scripture is that says GOD can't/won't add to His words?

Elgama,

Nowhere.

However the scriptures are very clear that we are to test those who claim authority. (Rev. 2:2) (Acts 17:11) (Duet 13 and 18)

If God's word is inspired yet "insufficient", as some have said, respectfully, why does it say it's enough for every good work?

2 Timothy 3:16 -17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Also (John 20:31) (John 6:67-69) (1 Cor. 2:12)

What did the God-breathed, perfect word of the Lord(Psalm 19:7) leave out?

Elgama,

John 21:25 "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

We believe that in addition to the Bible, God communicated to his other sons and daughters that were inarguably found on other continents at the time the bible was written. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is "Was God only communicating with and inspiring prophets in Israel while those in the americas and the islands of the sea dwindled and perished in unbelief?"

2 Nephi 29:7 "Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?"

Elgama,

Nowhere.

However the scriptures are very clear that we are to test those who claim authority. (Rev. 2:2) (Acts 17:11) (Duet 13 and 18)

If God's word is inspired yet "insufficient", as some have said, respectfully, why does it say it's enough for every good work?

2 Timothy 3:16 -17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

OK as it does not say that God won't/can't add to his word how does that apply to us? The words we receive today are no different. Except you have chosen to reject the majority of God's word.

If by God's word you mean the Bible? Its incomplete for the simple reason the revelation stopped. What is missing is the revelations for August 2010

Concerning Pslams 19:7 do you live the Law of Moses? because that scripture is definitely talking about laws/statutes. Not relevant to a Christian to LDS discussion but it would be interesting in a discussion with a Jew and a Christian - why exactly don't you live the perfect law of Moses>? Oh yes thats right further revelation:) And does using a scripture wrongly, out of context and in a contentious atmosphere actually constitute adding and taking away from God's Word? Personally I consider my scriptures pearls and only use them rarely in a debate and never without prayer, because I take the admonition in revelation seriously.

Same goes for your other scriptures, because our scriptures and prophets are from God, they don't apply on any level. Unless you are implying you know something God doesn't.

Edited by Elgama

UH red almost all the psosts... got tired thowards the end... interesting thread.

Dear C. Howell I hope you are doing fine and finding out what we believe about Jesus Crist the only begotten Son of our Hevenly Father, our saviour to whom we are eternally thankfull for everything He has done for us, our dear brother.

I can understand that it must have been a schok to attend a mormon service after all there is a lot weird information about us around. I have to apologise my writting I am not English and I also do have some problems with unbehaving letters.

Since we started apologizing maybe I should apologize for the sometimes sour athmosphere in the thread. You see you are not the only one rushing in here to "pour" your heart out about something you think is wrong, before you really have made acuaintance with LDS religion. In other words you trust what you have heard and those who "know " and often are very eager to tell the "truth" of the LDS faith. I am sure the thing that bugs some here is, that the accusitions tend to have been alike since JS`s time... ok I am old but NOT that old...

Maybe you now think that; doesnt that show that there is something wrong, if the accusitionsa are the same... well my answer is no, it does not. Why not? ... ARG because I am older and I say so! OK?!

Kind of tiering to answer the same over and over again... but it really does not show anything, but that when you have the same base you tend to hang on the same handholes. And besides if you dont find it out some other is going to point it out to you and as you agree it becomes your idea and not some old antiaccusition.

Hey NO I am not saying you did not find these questionable things yourself, I am just pointing out to you a reason, why some may be a bit bitter when answering. It is tiering to tell a todler every 2 min not to touch the TV controll... we can remove the tv controll but not LDS...

The original quetion about the Bible, Gods Word. Now the Bible has been translated in MANY different language and each language claims its translation 100% right and the Word of God.

In what you quoted about Eve.. increase her ... in my language it just constates that the woman shall give birth in pain... (free translation by me) NO indivcation of increasing any pain. And the scolars in my country say they have translated from Greek directly and it is a correct translation.

Once in Africa when teh Bible was translated to one of the tribal languages in te translation of "Our Father who is in heaven" They thanked for poop (you know the sh..). This due to a misunderstanding with the word bread ... since they did not have any bread and the expalnation of the translators was clarely poiting to poop.

When the Bible was gathered the scolastics were taking over the Hellenistical pagan doctorines in it by choosing from thousands of books just the few we now have as the Bible. It was never the writters that did not follow God but those who gathered the Bible or those who made mistakes in translateiong or copyingit.

Why would God allow that to happen... isnt he omnipotent? He allowed it because of our free will, just like he allows the tragedies happen today. He did know though that it would happen and that is why He had books hidden from world, so they could be found in the right time, the time when we were ready to recieve them.

I warmly recomend Daniel C Pederson; Ofenders of the word (page80-81)

We have only a part of His words but we can allow them to fill our heats so we are ready for more.

3rd heaven... my Father has many places for you... (dont know the english word for that but I am sure you know what I mean)... there is starshine, moon shine and sunshine...

We all will get what is our hearts desire!!!!

I have heard that actually Revelation should be the first book... or almost first book in the NT if cronically correct. It was put as last because of the last centance that the priests could scare everyone not to claim to have resieved any revelation. The OT has also a similar ending in one of the books.. cant recall which one now. It was alos a common way to end ones writtings in those days as many often added in the writting more and maybe altering it. John wanted to be sure his writtings were not added anything to.

I have heard that actually Revelation should be the first book... or almost first book in the NT if cronically correct. It was put as last because of the last centance that the priests could scare everyone not to claim to have resieved any revelation. The OT has also a similar ending in one of the books.. cant recall which one now. It was alos a common way to end ones writtings in those days as many often added in the writting more and maybe altering it. John wanted to be sure his writtings were not added anything to.

With all due respect, Maya, you may want to check your sources. There isn't really anyone credible that tries to argue dates earlier than 68 AD--and even that would still place it as one of the latest books in the NT. There seem to be a large amount of historians set on later dates around 90 AD.

Dating Revelation

New Testament Books - Dating

Hello Connie, nice to meet you too. Thank you.

I glanced at the links and will return to them when time permits.

Take your time. It's essential to read them carefully for understanding. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Pax Vobiscum

Hidden

To say that there is a conflict in the Bible is to say that there is a mistake in God's Word. To say that there's a mistake in God's word you have to admit that God either stopped guiding the Bible or made a mistake.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the conflict you seem to think you've found is a conflict of your worldview and understanding of theology ?

I disagree again.

As I stated if I something that seems contradictory to the gospel of Jesus Christ I ask my Heavenly Father in prayer and I receive an answer through the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Heavenly Father didn't make mistakes...MEN DID!

There are many "mistakes" in the bible. That doesn't mean God made a mistake. It means the men who wrote/translated it are capable of erring. Even Moroni in the Book of Mormon admits this when he says "And if there be faults they be the faults of a man. But behold, we know no fault; nevertheless God knoweth all things; therefore, he that condemneth, let him be aware lest he shall be in danger of hell fire. "

To argue that the bible is complete or perfect is pretty silly seeing as how we know of many books which are missing from it, and the bible itself contains many discrepancies in certain accounts ranging from the age or name of persons all the way to what was written on the cross.

Elgama,

Nowhere.

I bolded a verse.

Yes, all scripture is "God-breathed". The only question we have now is what constitutes ALL SCRIPTURE?

Because, surely, when Paul wrote that letter to Timothy, the Bible was not compiled into one big book yet. So he can't possibly be speaking of the Holy Bible as we know it.