? about wearing temple clothes in public.

astral

First, I want to state that I have no temple clothes and don't plan to do what I'm asking about. I've noticed there are several photographs on the internet showing people wearing their temple clothing. Similar clothing was featured in an episode of "Big Love". I've heard of ex- church members wearing their clothes to costume or halloween parties. Is there any type of law that makes it illegal to wear them in public. For instance, what if a church protester wears the clothing during General Conference? :eek: They would not be on church grounds but on a public sidewalk. I once went to a church production held on the Manti temple grounds. There were protesters there as well. But none were wearing the clothing. Obviously I know no worthy member would ever show their full temple clothes outside a temple.

There is no law against wearing temple clothes outside the temple. I think people do it as a "poke in the eye" of the church.

I believe that those who would do such a thing try to get a reaction from members by taking those things that are held most sacred, and defiling them.

It just reinforces, for me, that we should not give that which is sacred unto the dogs, niether cast pearls before swine...

(note: I am not calling anyone a dog or swine)

First, I want to state that I have no temple clothes and don't plan to do what I'm asking about. I've noticed there are several photographs on the internet showing people wearing their temple clothing. Similar clothing was featured in an episode of "Big Love". I've heard of ex- church members wearing their clothes to costume or halloween parties. Is there any type of law that makes it illegal to wear them in public. For instance, what if a church protester wears the clothing during General Conference? :eek: They would not be on church grounds but on a public sidewalk. I once went to a church production held on the Manti temple grounds. There were protesters there as well. But none were wearing the clothing. Obviously I know no worthy member would ever show their full temple clothes outside a temple.

Don't worry...they will receive their rewards.

Reward I am referring is what happens to these people lives afterwards. I have been spending allot of my energy these days, researching the handful of individuals who were directly connected to either taking part or committed the actual murder of both Joseph and Hyrum Smith. What I have recorded so far, through family own journals, statements, and other articles, I have only seen except two individuals who I cannot find anything on what happened after their involvement, the rest had a terrible life or died a horrible death.

I don't think the Church ever tried to get a copyright/patent on the temple robes' designs (or on the text of the ceremony itself); and even if they had--free speech cuts both ways. You might try going after such people legally on some kind of hate-speech/fighting words doctrine, but I think it'd be pretty sketchy.

I had a Judaism and the Gospel class at BYU where the professor brought in a tefillin and a tallit gadol; but he declined to actually put them on and show how they were worn because he said it would be akin to a non-Mormon donning temple robes.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

A person who would wear temple clothing outside the temple would feel no remorse about spray-painting a swastika on a synagogue, flushing a Qu'ran down the toilet, burning a cross on the yard of an African-American family, or burning a flag at the funeral of a fallen war hero. It is such a distasteful, hateful thing, it should be regarded as a human rights violation. When will the world consider anti-Mormonism "hate speech?"

I made a video about this last year after having an anti-Mormon bigot post pictures of temple garments on the conservative Republican web site Free Republic. Here's the link to the video:

Is there any type of law that makes it illegal to wear them in public.

No.

what if a church protester wears the clothing during General Conference?

Folks would get upset and struggle to ignore them. When this happened a few years back, a good brother who flew up from Chile or Argentina or somewhere got a bit hot under the collar and assaulted the protester, and was arrested. Pretty much what the protestor wanted.

Does that answer your questions?

(Not to turn this into a political thread, but I see certain similarities between this issue, and building a mosque near ground zero.)

LM

Folks would get upset and struggle to ignore them. When this happened a few years back, a good brother who flew up from Chile or Argentina or somewhere got a bit hot under the collar and assaulted the protester, and was arrested. Pretty much what the protestor wanted.

Dude, you know know one would try to pull crap like that if the Danites were still functioning!

Being a member of a religion with no violent, lunatic fringe has its drawbacks.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

A person who would wear temple clothing outside the temple would feel no remorse about spray-painting a swastika on a synagogue, flushing a Qu'ran down the toilet, burning a cross on the yard of an African-American family, or burning a flag at the funeral of a fallen war hero. It is such a distasteful, hateful thing, it should be regarded as a human rights violation. When will the world consider anti-Mormonism "hate speech?"

I disagree. I think this is a reactionary statement. Those who display the garment or who might don temple robes during General Conference are more than likely trying to get a rise out of Mormons, and be a general nuisance. Spray painting a swastika on a synagogue is a deliberately hateful action with a long and widely-known history.

You are kidding right? Since when dont we have lunitic fringes in the church?

They're not violent, though.