The name of God

GDKT

I remember it wasn't until my mission when I would meticulously study the scriptures for hours each day that I discovered God's name wasn't simply Heavenly Father or "Elohim". I mean, there is at least one straightforward verse in D&C that talks about this, and many other ways to find out His name. And assuming we will all speak the language of Adam in the afterlife, I can only assume that this is the name that will still be held by our Heavenly Father.

How appropriate is it to discuss God's name in the Adamic language?

Have you discussed this with your friends/family/children etc.? Is this something better left to personal study and understanding?

Just to throw a couple of non-LDS perspectives out:

1. Jehovah's Witnesses insist that we must use God's name when praying and speaking of him, and that it is most appropriate to use the English JEHOVAH to do so.

2. Jews traditionally have avoided using God's name, to keep from violating the 3rd commandment, not to do so in vain.

3. Linguists argue that Yahweh is closer than Jehovah to the original name, but say we cannot be certain.

4. Most Christians seem to follow the lead set by Jesus, that we use his name in our prayers--especially for healing, forgiveness, or driving out demons.

5. My guess is that when we speak "in the tongues of angels," or in Adamic language, God would surely direct our speech, so that it is accurate and reverent.

If you acknowledge the existence of the Adamic language, or the language native to God and the angels, before the world was, isn't it silly to argue pronunciations of Jehovah, seeing as how that is just Hebrew for "I AM"? Hebrew didn't exist in the preexistence, so we can assume that Jesus or "Jehovah" was not known by a name in a language that had yet to be invented by man.

I think we make a big mistake when we talk of God's "name." God really does not have a name, but rather titles. Whether we call him El, Elohim, Jehovah, Father, Son, Redeemer, etc., they are all titles. Yes, some titles we've converted to proper names, such as Jesus Christ. But that does not change the fact that they are actually descriptive titles.

Even Jehovah is a proper title for the Father, as we see Joseph Smith calling upon the Father with that title in the Kirtland dedicatory prayer (D&C 109). And when we read that the Father and Son are one, and that Jesus is both Father and Son, then we see that these are titles, not names.

Names of G-d are an interesting study. One problem is figuring out if the kingdoms of the ancient world were an ancient study in the kingdom of G-d and the Suzerains of the ancient world were a reflection of G-d as the Suzerain of his kingdom. Anciently the Suzerain of a kingdom had many names. There was not much difference in the name of the Suzerain and his title. The purpose of the many names was to have a different name for different classes of individuals that addressed the Suzerain. Each class of individuals was defined by their relationship with the Suzerain.

The highest class was known as the first born of the Suzerain and often had the title of the Son or the son of the Suzerain. This class was also known in the kingdom as Suzerains but of a lower status than the supreme Suzerain. This class addressed the Suzerain by a name unique to their class which also conveyed a relationship of “friends”. It was also interesting that when someone obtained this class they were also given a new name to indicate that their status had changed with the Suzerain and the rest of the citizens of the Kingdom. Thus we see this pattern of name changes in scripture with individuals such as Abraham and Israel. Attached to this new name as the last or ending sound was a part of the name of the Suzerain. This would be Am with Abraham and El with Israel.

One interesting facet of this highest relationship within kingdoms is that when a vassal of the Suzerain addresses other classes they would address them in first person as the supreme Suzerain and remind the other classes that there is only one Suzerain. Misuse of the Suzerain’s name or title was considered as an act of sedition and treason. It was this use of the Father’s name (G-d the Father) that justified the Scribes and Pharisees in seeking and trying to have Jesus stoned and finely crucified. These facts about ancient Kingdoms – especially the first person use of G-d’s name by Jesus has caused a great deal of confusion in traditional Christianity that has tried to define one G-d and 3 persons as the Suzerain of Christianity in what is now known as the Trinity doctrine.

The Traveler

I like many of them but my favorite is the great "I AM". I've heard it since I was born but not until recently did it hit me. Duh!!!! It's more than a name. "I Am" is present tense which means He is with me, right now, I mean REALLY right now, next to me. Inside me. His name is not the great "I Was".....or, the great "I'm Gonna Be".. it's THE GREAT I AM!!!!!! Yeah, I know...I'm a little slow. :P It's the heat down here in South Georgia USA. Sweltering.

We in Finland say that Finnish is colsest to Adamic language... :D

God = Jumala with letternames: jiuuemaaelaa ... pronanuced as witten J is not the english sound by your teeth but in your mouth, like Jahve..

I am= Minä Olen : emiienää ooeleeen

Interesting subject.

A SAMPLE of pure language

given by Joseph the Seer as copied by Br Johnson

Question. What is the name of God in pure Language

Answer. Awman.

Q. The meaning of the pure word Awman

A. It is the being which made all things in all its parts.

Q. What is the name of the Son of God.

A. The Son Awman.

Q. What is the Son Awman.

A. It is the greatest of all the parts of Awman which is the godhead the first born.

Q. What is man.

A. This signifies Sons Awman. the human family the children of men the greatest parts of Awman Sons the Son Awman

Q. What are Angels called in pure language.

A. Awman Angls men

Q. What are the meaning of these words.

A .Awman’s Ministering servants Sanctified who are sent forth from heaven to minister for or to Sons Awmen the greatest part of Awman Son. Sons Awmen Son Awmen Awman