Obama's Mosque Remarks Reverberate

bytor2112

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that building so close to Ground Zero was a poor choice on their part. It would make a big difference if they were actually making it as a statement against fundamentalists in Islam.

But let us not forget that our religion has spent a good deal of its history being demonized by misguided zealots for Christian doctrinal purity. Saying the 70% of the nation had little but contempt for "Mormonism" at various points in our history would be underestimating things. The numbers were probably higher than 70% on several occasions. And it had more to do with the lies and mis-information they were being fed than anything else. So yes it's possible for ignorance to prevail in the majority of Americans -- it's happened before. It happened to us. We have every reason to be understanding of the vast majority of Muslims who are not terrorists.

Islam and Christianity have spent 1300 years as mortal enemies. About 1000 years of that history was spent in a state of almost constant war. Unfortunately, for that very reason, those coming from a Christian background are extremely willing to believe the worst of Muslims with minimal evidence. The September 11th attacks intensified that tendency.

It is for that reason that it would be unwise for the Muslim-American community to build there -- to keep the peace and not provoke the American people, they should look to build further away from Ground Zero. But I am not convinced that their true intent is to "raise of monument of victory at Ground Zero." I think that was not their intent at all.

More than anything else, the whole thing reminds me far too much of what plays out every single time we try to build a new temple, and that makes it difficult to write off the Muslims who are building this Mosque as having nothing but evil intentions. It sounds like exactly the sort of thing Anti-Mormons push through media and government sources to try to thwart us at virtually everything we try to do.

Edited by Faded

Ayuh! Anyone want make a guess of how many muslims live in New York City?

Catholics comprise more than 40% of the population in New York. Protestants are 30% of the population, Jews 8.4%, Muslims 3.5%, Buddhists 1%. The State of New York has about 20 million residents, which would make 700,000 New York residents Muslim. It's no secret that Muslims are heavily concentrated around the urban areas, particularly New York City, so it wouldn't surprise anyone if about 500,000 residents in the greater New York City area are Muslim.

That is FAR greater numerically than the LDS Church in New York City. There are more than 10 times as many Muslims as there are Latter Day Saints.

It was an interesting question so I had to go and try to figure out the answer.

Edited by Faded

That is FAR greater numerically than the LDS Church in New York City. There are more than 10 times as many Muslims as there are Latter Day Saints.

And yet we have meetinghouses, an institute building, and a temple there. Are the Muslims complaining about it?

I tend to agree with President Obama on this one :eek:, or at least I agree with his comments, though he probably should have distanced himself from the issue.

That being said, they do have the right to do so....but, they are seriously galvanizing public opinion even more against them. Stupid or bad taste? Probably both. Intentionally mean spirited? Possibly so. More on the story here...

It was a bad idea in the first place. Noting both sides of the story from various accounts, it would better serve the community if they simply allow those organizations (buildings) who were affected by 911 to have first allotment in rebuilding. As to placing a Mosque near this location - it should be "NO."

It was a bad idea in the first place. Noting both sides of the story from various accounts, it would better serve the community if they simply allow those organizations (buildings) who were affected by 911 to have first allotment in rebuilding. As to placing a Mosque near this location - it should be "NO."

Whoever owns the land should be able to decide what to do with it.

I don't see a problem with it. It's insensitive, but not illegal. Want to change it? Start a protest and make it difficult to follow through.

Don't beg government to legislate politeness.

I don't see a problem with it. It's insensitive, but not illegal. Want to change it? Start a protest and make it difficult to follow through.

I'm not sure we even ought to be able to claim insensitivity. People keep touting this like preventing a mosque in New York City is the equivalent of sticking it to terrorists. But here's a news flash--the fact that we're having this discussion means they've already won and gotten what they wanted!

"Oh, I know! Let's send a message to the religiously intolerant radicals by being religiously intolerant! That will show them!"

If we really wanted to stick it to the terrorists, we should have started rebuilding the towers as soon as we put the fires out.

The problem here, they didn't own the land and it was a granted by the State of New York before others were granted to rebuild. This itself is a problem.

Let the people of the city make their own choices and not others outside of this realm. At this time, the people do not want it. Simple put, move it...give it back to the Greek Orthodox church who was there first.

I do agree with Reid on this point... :)

The problem here, they didn't own the land and it was a granted by the State of New York before others were granted to rebuild. This itself is a problem.

Let the people of the city make their own choices and not others outside of this realm. At this time, the people do not want it. Simple put, move it...give it back to the Greek Orthodox church who was there first.

I do agree with Reid on this point... :)

Um, it's not being built where a Greek Orthodox church stood, it's being built where a Burlington Coat Factory used to be. :huh: The GO Church is in an entirely different location, on property that is under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority. The Muslim group aquired this property in a PRIVATE sale, and the local government only had as much say in the matter as they do in any other private sale.

ETA: And how many Temples would the church have if public opinion dictated where we did and didn't build?

The twin towers weren't destroyed last month, or last year. 5 years ago? No, we're knocking on 10 years! The site is still rubble, we need to grab ourselves by our bootstraps and do something already.

I don't care if there is a mosque built 2 blocks away, close to the other shops that should be causing more outrage. It doesn't harm me or you.

ETA: And how many Temples would the church have if public opinion dictated where we did and didn't build?

The problem with the last, they simply don't have a living prophet to guide them to exact location to build. :P Something that has bothered me and I do always bring this up in private conversation when avail with these brothers.

The twin towers weren't destroyed last month, or last year. 5 years ago? No, we're knocking on 10 years! The site is still rubble, we need to grab ourselves by our bootstraps and do something already.

I don't care if there is a mosque built 2 blocks away, close to the other shops that should be causing more outrage. It doesn't harm me or you.

Of course, you might feel differently if you were a New Yorker and/or lost a loved one in the 9-11 attacks......the greatest mass murder in US history. 10 years is not so very long if your son or daughter. husband or wife...etc. was robbed of life because of blood thirsty killers that at least profess to be Muslim. Certainly, those seeking to build this building understand perfectly well the hurt these people still feel and could easily agree that this isn't the right time and seek a new location. I am fairly certain the the Governor of New York has offered his assistance in finding a new location.

I don't live in New York and it doesn't hurt me ...as you say, BUT, I bet it will do more damage than good to relations between the Muslim and non Muslim communities. It certainly has sparked some controversy....nearly 70% of Americans oppose the decision. (CNN poll)

I think comparing this to our church building Temples is a bit of a stretch. Haven't run into too many jihadist Mormons lately.

when was the last time you ran into a jihadist muslim, bytor?

Never....but, I think they are a bit more common in New York than Panama City Fl. :) And I get your point and I also agree that those terrorists claiming to be Muslim...aren't any more Muslim than Tim McVeigh was a Christian.

But, right or wrong...memories of 9-11 and terrorists are strongly associated with Islam.

The furor over this makes me ashamed to be an American living abroad. We look like Imperialist idiots normally, but seriously, this is geting out of hand.

I think there are fairly deep wounds at play. I'm meh on the issue and think they should be able to build where zoning and property ownership allow them to, but I think those who lost loved ones and lived through those attacks deserve some leeway. The rest of the folks up in arms less so.

Well, we either have religious freedom or we don't. If we do, let them build. They haven't done anything wrong. They will have all kinds of watchdog groups waiting for any kind of mistake, impropriety, or the slightest terrorist link. I think we're safe.

If we don't have religious freedom...well dang. We're in trouble.

Honestly, I think it is kind of cool that in America this sort of thing can happen. If it couldn't, we wouldn't be America.