Kindle??

edwinters56

I used to have a Kindle and had free copy of BOM. You can get any .pdf file converted and transferred to Kindle. The device is lightweight. It's processing and search features exist but are so slow they are almost useless. I used the Whispernet to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal which I found convenient. But after I moved to Canada, there was no more Whispernet (It is now available, but my device would not be compatible). After several months, I thought I would try to download some files from my computer via the USB interface, but the device was "dead", perhaps from the battery. I didn't want to pay to get it diagnosed or buy another battery, so I scrapped it.

The books I "bought" are still on my Amazon account, but I would need another Kindle to access them. I would like to get an iPad for book reading, but the first version is pretty heavy. It also has a battery which would be expensive to replace.

I would suggest you buy such a device with the idea it would need to be replaced every 2 or 3 years. I would also look for media that is device-independent, but good luck with that.

So a netbook or iPad might be more flexible than the Kindle.

we have ipod touches and an iphone. we have the scriptures app on all of the devices. it includes not only the scriptures, but hymns, conference talks, manuals, resources, topical guide, dictionary, and more.

i forget how much the app was, but it updates and those are free. so, if you have one of those devices already just get the app. i have a kindle app on the touches and iphone as welll, but i don't have anything from church coming through the kindle app.

The iBooks (available on iPad) is much better than a kindle. It has a lot more features than Kindle.

And, the Kindle has an iPad app. So you can read your Kindle books using an iPad.

So, the iPad is better all around.

An iPad is better than a netbook. Yes, because you can load it with apps. I got a journal app which goes well with the LDS Library app... on the iPad. And I'm not even talking about the iBooks yet.

Also, you can purchase iWork applications (Apple's word proc, spreadsheet, presentation, etc software) and load it on your iPad. It makes it easy to write documents and presentations using your scriptures right there on your iPad. The netbook can't do this.

yeah i think this one was from the church, i just can't recall if i paid anything for it or not. i got it soooo long ago! i LOVE it though!! there weren't too many people using their iphones or itouches in our ward when i started using mine. now, they are everywhere :-) kinda cracks me up!!

but, i can't imagine going back to the quad and the manuals, and whatever else i was taking with me each sunday. PLUS, i love being able to reference a conference talk, and not having to search for a hymnal too!!

The church has a decent free app as well

I have found that the iPad is a great study aid for me. There's a great free app called "Bible" that has 20+ translations of the OT and NT; I use that in conjunction with the church's Gospel Library app and teh Google Books version of the Jewish study bible. I have learned more about the OT this year using these tools than in the preceding 3 or 4 times I've been through the OT study materials.

The iBooks (available on iPad) is much better than a kindle. It has a lot more features than Kindle.

And, the Kindle has an iPad app. So you can read your Kindle books using an iPad.

So, the iPad is better all around.

An iPad is better than a netbook. Yes, because you can load it with apps. I got a journal app which goes well with the LDS Library app... on the iPad. And I'm not even talking about the iBooks yet.

Also, you can purchase iWork applications (Apple's word proc, spreadsheet, presentation, etc software) and load it on your iPad. It makes it easy to write documents and presentations using your scriptures right there on your iPad. The netbook can't do this.

Fanboyisms are coming out anatess... The Kindle and ipad are designed for different purposes. The kindle only needs to use battery power when turning a page, or otherwise changing the e-ink display, not maintaining the display. The ipad needs to use battery power constantly, to maintain the display.

I also think you are missing the capabilities of modern netbooks, which have no bother with office applications. They may not be up to doing all the gaming or intence spreadsheet calculations, but they are fine for word procesing, plus they have an actual keyboard that is permanently attached, and doesn't take up screen real estate. Different purposes.

Personally though, without the ability to put in my own annotations, bookmarks, fuzzy search, and ability to open at random, the electronic versions will be inferior to the dead tree edition of the Scriptures.

we have an asus netbook. It is currently hooked up to a 19" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. I use it as an upstairs computer, primarily for email, a few forums, and facebook. I recently added a few games for my daughter, as my kids are wanting to play on the computer, but the biggest limitation is no cd drive. Some kids games I own require a disc to be kept in a drive to play. I keep telling myself stop buying these, but I have a few. I is annoyingly slow, but I don't use it for heavy stuff.

Ram, make sure you set the Super Hybrid Engine to performance if you are not on battery power.

• 5 weeks later...

Fanboyisms are coming out anatess... The Kindle and ipad are designed for different purposes. The kindle only needs to use battery power when turning a page, or otherwise changing the e-ink display, not maintaining the display. The ipad needs to use battery power constantly, to maintain the display.

I also think you are missing the capabilities of modern netbooks, which have no bother with office applications. They may not be up to doing all the gaming or intence spreadsheet calculations, but they are fine for word procesing, plus they have an actual keyboard that is permanently attached, and doesn't take up screen real estate. Different purposes.

Personally though, without the ability to put in my own annotations, bookmarks, fuzzy search, and ability to open at random, the electronic versions will be inferior to the dead tree edition of the Scriptures.

I agree.

Also, the OP asked specifically about the Kindle. Obviously, the OP has done their ereader research and know what they are looking for. I will also try to clarify some of the differences between the other devices mentioned in this thread.

The iPad is a wonderful device that allows you to check your email, surf the internet, read books etc. It does a lot of things well including reading scriptures. It has average battery life for a tablet, but extremely short for an ereader. It is a lot like a great big version of an iPod, of which I am a major fan.

The Kindle is for book readers. Period. If you want a device to watch youtube video's and read books don't buy a Kindle. If you want the best device for reading books, buy a Kindle. The battery lasts a month, the screen uses e-ink which makes your reading experience similar to reading a book, and Kindle boasts a much larger library than any other ereader. Most important reason that I own one, NO EYE STRAIN. I make a living online and I stare at a computer screen all day long. The last thing that I want to do at the end of the day is try and read a book off of a computer screen.

Netbooks are blessing. They weigh next to nothing, and unlike cell phones, PDA's and other smaller devices, they use real software. Netbooks are wonderful if you travel a lot, need access to the internet frequently, and need the functions of a computer.

As far as answering the OP question. I don't like taking my Kindle to church to look up scriptures. It is easier and faster to look up the scriptures in their physical form. I actually read my scriptures on the Kindle when I am getting my oil changed and other similar situations and love it. However, I am not the biggest fan of using it for scripture reading at church. I do take it quite often and use it for the gospel doctrine manual that I forgot to bring, fast sundays where the lesson is the First Presidency message, and foruth Sunday conference talk lessons.

As far as the iPad at church, I have noticed that everyone that I know that brings one looks at Facebook, their email, and surfs the web, and plays games. Maybe if you didn't have the internet with your iPad then you wouldn't be tempted. From what I have seen they are not only a distraction to the user, their spouse, and children, usually everyone else within view of it pays more attention to the iPad than the speaker.

I have yet to see anyone use their netbook in my ward during sacrament, but I would think that it would be more of a distraction than any other device. I can't imagine the look on the older generations face if I was to pull one out and start typing during sacrament.

Fanboyism, funny. I'm a programmer, there's no room for fanboyism for me. I gotta use what I can make money in.

I didn't say iPad and Kindle and even netbook share the same purpose. I'm just saying, if you want my opinion on which is better for scripture study, I say iPad.

If you're gonna ask me which is better for reading a book, I'd say - do you mind a heavier machine worth $200 more with more features than a Kindle? If yes, then go with the iPad - I still like the iBooks better than the Kindle - it has more features, especially the built-in dictionary. If no, then go with a Kindle. Battery power - if you're just reading a book offline just like the Kindle and nothing else, the iPad is head-to-head with a Kindle.

I don't even know why I have to defend this. It's fairly obvious what I was trying to tell you and it's all FACT.

As far as the iPad at church, I have noticed that everyone that I know that brings one looks at Facebook, their email, and surfs the web, and plays games. Maybe if you didn't have the internet with your iPad then you wouldn't be tempted. From what I have seen they are not only a distraction to the user, their spouse, and children, usually everyone else within view of it pays more attention to the iPad than the speaker.

Okay, because somebody is too weak to stop himself from going on facebook while at church, let's go paint iPad as the root of evil. Okay. Gotcha.

Quite a few iPad users in my ward. More have iPhones, some of the teens have iTouch. I haven't seen a Kindle in use at the ward yet. But I'm sure if there was one, they would all be the same - being used in class for scripture study. We're not stupid.

I have used my iPad in teaching Primary. I only have 5 kids in my class so I plop the iPad on the table when I want to show a snippet from a conference talk. Easier than having to borrow the big TV from the library and have to figure out what to do if some other class has reserved it. Quite a nifty little thing.

Edited by anatess

I ended up with a netbook. I like the idea of the Kindle, but need something that I can type documents with, even if only rudimentary documents. So it is out.

The IPAD seems nice, but I can see it as a major distraction with so many thousands of apps. Also, it doesn't have USB nor a keyboard, so to type requires using up a lot of screen space, and the discomfort of trying to type while looking at the same level to see what little screen is left over.

I do like the IPAD format, and came close to purchasing one. However, I am a touch typist and can't imagine how slow typing on the screen would be. I can take my netbook to Church (I wouldn't have it or an IPAD out in Sacrament), and can use it to help in teaching a class (show a Conference video, etc.) as necessary. Plus, it is half the price of an IPAD, and has great apps.

I ended up with a netbook. I like the idea of the Kindle, but need something that I can type documents with, even if only rudimentary documents. So it is out.

The IPAD seems nice, but I can see it as a major distraction with so many thousands of apps. Also, it doesn't have USB nor a keyboard, so to type requires using up a lot of screen space, and the discomfort of trying to type while looking at the same level to see what little screen is left over.

I do like the IPAD format, and came close to purchasing one. However, I am a touch typist and can't imagine how slow typing on the screen would be. I can take my netbook to Church (I wouldn't have it or an IPAD out in Sacrament), and can use it to help in teaching a class (show a Conference video, etc.) as necessary. Plus, it is half the price of an IPAD, and has great apps.

Sweetness! Good choice.

Yeah, Kindle was amazing when it came out. But now with all the other options out there, it just became a little too "basic". I guess it's like buying a cellphone. The freebies from the cell carriers that have nothing but a phone was great when it came out. But, when all the other options out there with camera, internet, gps, etc, came out, the nothing-but-phone things just became too "basic" for a lot of us.

P.S. The iPad has a keyboard you can plug into that acts like a docking station (charges the iPad too). I didn't get it because it's extra weight. I'm going for ultra-portable. It's like my laptop, I don't use a mouse on the laptop - there's a built-in mouse on the thing already even if it takes a little getting used to. I just don't want to carry the extra weight of a teeny mouse.