Redesigned Phoenix Temple

Saguaro

They're announced the new plans for the Phoenix temple. I actually like this one story design better than the two story one, it's not as tall and boxy and I think it will fit into the neighborhood better than the previous design. Hopefully the neghbors will like it better as well. Tonight there is a open house planned at the chapel on the same lot for the neighbors to come and see the plans and ask questions.

Phoenix Temple Details

How did the open house go? Was the change well-recieved? I actually think it looks waaaay better now!

The temple site is in my stake but I didn't go to the open house as it was intended for non-members in the area. I haven't heard yet any specific feed back, althought this article was in the paper the next day. Judging from the article it sounds like the results were mixed. I'm sure there will be those that won't be happy no matter what. Legally I don't know what recourse the residents would have if they still oppose it as the purpose of the redesign was to stay within the current zoning laws.

LDS Church unveils Phoenix temple redesign

The temple site is in my stake but I didn't go to the open house as it was intended for non-members in the area. I haven't heard yet any specific feed back, althought this article was in the paper the next day. Judging from the article it sounds like the results were mixed. I'm sure there will be those that won't be happy no matter what. Legally I don't know what recourse the residents would have if they still oppose it as the purpose of the redesign was to stay within the current zoning laws.

LDS Church unveils Phoenix temple redesign

As I understand it, the original problem was due to asking for a variance for the height of the building. Under the current laws, they can't legally do anything about it if we build within the parameters of the building ordinances. That was the reason for forgoing the previous design - we wouldn't need a vairance and by such wouldn't need anyone's approval.

:)

To get back on topic....

It looks like the neighbors are far from pleased.

...there is a consensus from the neighborhood that it will continue to pursue legal challenges to their designs and First Amendment demonstrations against their design," Anderson said.

I'm not sure what legal challenges they're referring to, the new design falls under the current zoning laws.

Redesign of proposed Phoenix Temple not enough to quiet neighbors

I'm confused by this quote of Anderson's:

. . . there is a consensus from the neighborhood that it will pursue . . . First Amendment demonstrations against their design," Anderson said.

What does he mean by that? Is anyone trying to deny them their First Amendment rights? If not, why mention it? Of course they can demonstrate against the design.

I don't know . . . that's just a big "duhhhh" to me.

I think the Church was very gracious to redesign the temple. As I recall, it didn't have to. (Is that right?)

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
Put in a missing word.

I'm confused by this quote of Anderson's: What does he mean by that? Is anyone trying to deny them their First Amendment rights? If not, why mention it? Of course they can demonstrate the design.

I don't know . . . that's just a big "duhhhh" to me.

I think the Church was very gracious to redesign the temple. As I recall, it didn't have to. (Is that right?)

Elphaba

I think what he means is that they will organize protests or demonstrations against the temple. Last year when they were going through the steps to get the land rezoned they occasionally would stand on the sidewalk in front of the site with posters and make a scene for the news cameras. I'm not sure what more protests would do at this point, I guess they think it could create some bad publicity for the church, but I think they also end up looking bad themselves as many people don't understanding why they would protest a place of worship that is allowed under current zoning laws.

Regarding the redesign, they didn't have to, but they avoided a voter referendum by doing so. Last year after negotiations with the opposition and the city the Church got approval from the city council for a specific type of rezoning which allowed for a two story building plus a spire (spire height is not regulated by law) but the opposition got enough signatures to put the new zoning to a general vote. To avoid the vote the church withdrew its rezoning application, so they redesigned the building to fit the existing zoning which only allows a one story building.