BYU Football going independent

Hemidakota

Well thanks for providing a link to my own thread. Now why would a sports/current event be under LDS resources? No wonder I didn't see it. So I'm leaving mine here in the appropriate forum. :P

tto me it does seem like it is mostly an up side for byu. they do play more wac teams which are probably not on the same level as mwc. the real reason is for more money. more tv rights. i do wonder if boise would go back to the wac. it doesn't really matter short term because byu and boise have some 4 year commitment. others say byu well probably get pulled into another confrence (i hope sooner then later). i don't think even byu can last very long being independent.

Okay, I know next to nothing about football or how "conferences" work or anything, so... what the heck does this mean???? :lol:

it means byu would not have a confrence. meaning they can play anybody that they want (as long as the other team wants to play them).

the bad is they arent part of any confrence so if the dont get invited to a bcs game (have to be ranked 14 or higher) then they wouldn't play any championship game. is byu looses 2 games they are pretty much out of it.

but is they get to a bcs game then byu gets all the money (they don't have to share with the confrence) -10%

also it means byu games well be on espn (and maybe in 3d)

So if I understand it right, BYU football would go independent and all other BYU sports would join the WAC.

Since the winner of the WAC gets an automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament, BYU could be assured of getting to play in the first round.

Yes, but thats the same as it was with the MWC, the difference is, usually thats the only team that would go from the WAC (the winner). in the WMC you could get two or three teams go. (BYU, Utah, UNLV)

Things have turned differently now.

The WAC had both Reno/Nevada and Fresno State leave the WAC and Join the MWC.

This means that as of now there are only 6 teams in WAC, and to be a conference (for the BCS or NCAA) you need 8 teams. (for the wac to stay the wac they need to add two more teams)

Nevada and Fresno State signed a paper (after Boise Left) that if any team leaves the Wac they pay the conference 5 million. Fresno State signed it, Nevada didn't offically sign it, but did agree to the terms. (Enough for the lawyers to think they have a case). Nobody thought Nevada and Fresno would leave because of this deal. They have 60 days to pay it!

Also the date to leave the wac was July 31. (thats why Boise did it last month). So officially Nevada and Fresno State wouldn't leave the WAC until after the 2012 season.

But with the Wac up in arms, its not sure now if BYU well go to the WAC (for there other sports). It does sound like the WCC (West Coast Conference) is now an option.

Football wise they are small (but that doesn't matter). It does have some pretty good basketball teams like Gonzaga and Saint Marys, but most of the schools are smaller, probably somewhere in between Weber St and Utah St. Which is step down for BYU. There are some programs that this conference doesn't have like track and Field, and Volley ball. If they did join BYU would probably be the biggest school in the conference.

It does come down to money.

It sounds like ESPN would pay 4 million for 4 BYU Home games.

BYU would be able to shop around the other 5-6 games, either local KSL (church owned) or even Kjzz (Larry H. Miller) or even Fox sports. There is BYU-TV but as far as I know that it doesn't generage reveune through Ad's? I don't think it has commercials on that station, but I guess that could change?

It sounds like they can make around 6 million with football.

Sounds like ESPN broadcasts some of the WCC Basketball games (some 20 of them) I guess BYU would get maybe a million for that, but again that leaves the other 30 games to shop around again. Sounds like that could also be worth at least another million.

That brings it up to about 8 million now. Compared to I think it was 1.2 million is what they got from the MTN TV.

But compared to Utah well be getting around $15 million in three years.

The last thing is it sounds like the MWC is talking with Conference USA to have in a way a title game. The winner of the MWC would play the winner of the Conference USA. The winner of that game would go to a BCS game. (I assume the looser probably would too, but not as good of bowl game).

I'm not sure why Conference USA would do this, unless even if that conference doesn't go, they still get a cut of the BCS bowl.

Who knows?

If BYU's goal was to get to BCS Bowl this is probably the bigger deal (in the case of Bowl). But probably still less money because you have to share it with your conference (which is 11 people now but could be 12, there is talk of Houston joining the MWC).

Interesting to see where this goes.

Like I said before it probably is worth it for BYU to go Independent really for the purpose of showing the rest of the BCS conference how much draw BYU is. I can't see being Independent being a long term plan.

Edited by tubaloth

But with the Wac up in arms, its not sure now if BYU well go to the WAC (for there other sports). It does sound like the WCC (West Coast Conference) is now an option.

Football wise they are small (but that doesn't matter). It does have some pretty good basketball teams like Gonzaga and Saint Marys, ...

Great info Tubaloth. Gonzaga is a perpetually great basketball school. With BYU, they might get two conference bids.

It sounds like ESPN would pay 4 million for 4 BYU Home games.

BYU would be able to shop around the other 5-6 games, either local KSL (church owned) or even Kjzz (Larry H. Miller) or even Fox sports. There is BYU-TV but as far as I know that it doesn't generage reveune through Ad's?

It sounds like they can make around 6 million with football.

I know Navy always has televised games, so could BYU.

Sounds like ESPN broadcasts some of the WCC Basketball games (some 20 of them) I guess BYU would get maybe a million for that, but again that leaves the other 30 games to shop around again. Sounds like that could also be worth at least another million.

Like you said, there are always other TV deals.

If BYU's goal was to get to BCS Bowl this is probably the bigger deal (in the case of Bowl). But probably still less money because you have to share it with your conference.

Great point. Also, so lesser bowls might want them too.

Like I said before it probably is worth it for BYU to go Independent really for the purpose of showing the rest of the BCS conference how much draw BYU is. I can't see being Independent being a long term plan.

That will sure show them! I know their anger over BYU considering this idea is already there. Once the conferences see how successful BYU has become, it might be just a matter of time before the Big12 or SEC come calling to the Provo gates.

I am a huge University of Utah fan, but was sad to see them sign with the PAC 10. I guess I’m a traditionalist and would like local football rivalries to continue (not just BYU and the U of U – but also with Utah State University). I was sad they left and picked money and fame over local identity and region.

I am even more sadden, and dismayed, that BYU was thinking of going independent for money and fame and what looked to the coveting of the University of Utah. I also thought that this move was not fair at to the other sports (player athletes and coaches). I might be dead wrong – but it sounds like BYU administrators (not church leaders) did not even talk to coaches regarding moving other sports to the WAC. I just thought there would be more respect – but at the same time, we all are human and make mistakes.

BYU is joining the WCC. How sad. If I were an athelete on another sports teach, I sure would be disappointed that BYU men's football is viewed as so much more imporatn that others sports. I do not think indepedent status will work -- honestly, BYU is not that good of a football team. And the WCC is not a strong conference. I really wish they, and the University of Utah, would have put integrity to region and tradtion at a higher status than money. Its a sad day for Utah college sports and I feel for Utah State University the most

The reason any school has a football team is for money. Really the football team makes the money for the rest of the programs to work. U of U took there chance of getting some of the bigger pot. Like I said before, the mnt TV deal was 1.5 million + any bowl money (that you share with the rest of the conference). U of U could be getting 15 million. Yes that does change thanksgiving weekend but I don't blame U of U for taking it.

BYU doesn't want be left behind, and with BYU have 10 win seasons, they feel like they can make more money on there own. If people are willing to pay, you try to make money. Besides, Byu is funded by tithing. That much less the school well need.

I never thought this was a long term solution. If anything it is to show the value of byu to other conferences. That way they well be glad to add BYU.

I do agree the WCC is a step back for basketball, I don't think it well last long.

I accentually think that USU wanted to be the next U of U. Meaning they wanted to try to fill that role with U of U moving on. It almost worked.

BYU doesn't want be left behind, ...

After Utah was raptured into the PAC 12, this not wanting to be left behind must have been overwhelming for the Cougars.

I do agree the WCC is a step back for basketball, ...

In some ways it is a perfect fit, Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, Portland, Saint Mary's, San Diego, San Francisco and Santa Clara are all private religiously oriented schools. A bit more travel is required for BYU, but they will recoup the expenses by being able to drop some of the minor sports that the WCC does not play. Instead of mostly being at the bottom or middle of the bunch, BYU can shine as the biggest fish in a smaller pond. My guess is Gonzaga will be more than a match in basketball.

Even Utah State comes out ahead in this, since it is rumored they will be unstoppable against Cal-State Barstow in the WAC.

I don't know the numbers, but I highly doubt BYU athletics are supported by tithing funds. It seems to me they are more likely mainly supported by donations, gate receipts, and television/radio income and advertising. I do see this as tied to the University of Utah, but not how Utah fans think it is. I think it is clear that BYU has been unhappy with their situation for years, especially their exposure and monetary income from the ill-conceived mtn. TV channel.

I think the only reason BYU stayed in the MWC and did not make big waves about it before was their old friend, competitor, and rival, Utah. They figured that as long as Utah was there, they were going to make the situation work. When Utah bolted and left the MWC, BYU looked around and realized that there was no logical reason for them to stick around. The money situation wasn't going to get better, and the bottom-feeders of the league were not going to get better soon enough to convince the BCS to make the MWC an automatic qualifying conference. So they decided to take control of their own fate as waiting for the MWC to fight for them had not worked so far.

ESPN, from the scant reports I have seen, has agreed to pay BYU approximately 4 times what they got from the crappy mtn. channel, with some nice concessions. ESPN has the broadcast rights to every game BYU is designated the home team, with at least 3 of those on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC, and one on ESPNU, every year. IF ESPN chooses not to broadcast a game, BYU retains all broadcast rights to that game, and can shop it to anyone willing to pay for it. BYU also has the rights to rebroadcast games previously shown on ESPN as early as the same day they are played. These things allow BYU to maximize their broadcast earning potential.

If they broadcast games on one of the BYUTV stations, they can reach around the globe with exposure. I was reading something the other day that said that BYUTV is one of the most popular satellite channels in Asia. BYU soccer games could be seen from Brazil to Ireland, to China. It's a big gamble, but if it works, it could pay off big as well.

Perhaps I am wrong and others have a different view, but when I heard the BYU atheltic director talking about how this change will bring more recogniztion to BYU, I thought he was on another planet.

First off, playing Notre Dame is not a big deal. They have been terrble for what, the last 5-7 years. When was the lst time they went to a solid bowl game? This is not 1980 -- Notre Dame is not a good football team anymore and I do not see them improving. Further, I can now see how ESPN will market this as a religiouos clash -- Mormons vs cathlolics. Not a good thing. Second, the WCC is not a strong conference -- I do not see how this helps basketball or women sports. Its a pretty small non-known conference. Third -- and I hope I am wrong -- I think BYU is going to lose many games against big time schools. I might be wrong, but i see this back-firing.

If only Utah, BYU cold have stated in the Mouontain West -- along with TCU and Boise State, that conference could have really broke the BCS monoplogy. Sadly, Utah and BYU went after status and money -- not very good values.