Church name in languages

Maya

I sometimes wonder if there is any other language where you have to say the name of the Church the way we in Finland do. We, because of the language, have to say LDSJCC (Later-Day Saints Jesus Christ`s Church) in Finnish MAPJKK. The LDS comes first in our language and that is not good either, as when you say it you start with L..D..S... and by then people already go like... häh? Wht kind of saints you think you are. We could have made it to Jesu Christi Church for the Latter-day Saints = Jeesuksen Krsituksen Kirkko Myöhempien Aikojen Pyhille, but that is not good language, the official: Myöhempien Aikojen Pyhien Jeesuksen Krsituksen Kirkko is better language.

Any other language that is not able to translate direct the name of the Church?

Hehehe I try to write English... I probably mostly assault the English language.

Finnish learn a foring language from the first grade.. probably from the kindergarten. Second foreighn language comes along around age 12 and third and fourth may come along in Highschool depending on what direction you decide to read. First foreighn language often is eitehr Swedish or English. ALL finnish kids have to learn a bit Swedish as it is the secong language in the country... which is just nonsence, I mean to have two official languages in Finland. Finland should be ALL finnish. Well anyway then you can choose from Germany, Spanish, Russian, French. A usual Finnish person has had at least 3 foreign languages in the school.

Finland is number one in Education after Interactive Infographic of the World's Best Countries - Newsweek USA was no 26. Finland is also according to that gallup worlds best country... unfortunately they did have a small mistake where Finland got Swizerlands poits adn Swiss got ours... :D But it is great to be the second best country in the world too!:)

IF I was using a translation system... I would not have my spelling mistakes... :lol:

I sometimes wonder if there is any other language where you have to say the name of the Church the way we in Finland do. We, because of the language, have to say LDSJCC (Later-Day Saints Jesus Christ`s Church) in Finnish MAPJKK. The LDS comes first in our language and that is not good either, as when you say it you start with L..D..S... and by then people already go like... häh? Wht kind of saints you think you are. We could have made it to Jesu Christi Church for the Latter-day Saints = Jeesuksen Krsituksen Kirkko Myöhempien Aikojen Pyhille, but that is not good language, the official: Myöhempien Aikojen Pyhien Jeesuksen Krsituksen Kirkko is better language.

Any other language that is not able to translate direct the name of the Church?

The Japanese have difficulty pronouncing the church name in their own language also...:D

I think the way it is now in Finnish is correct and has the exact same meaning as it is in English.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Latter-day Saints' Jesus Christ's Church

Myöhempien Aikojen Pyhien Jeesuksen Kristuksen Kirkko

There is really no other way of saying it in Finnish. In Finnish you don't say the Church of Jesus Christ, you say Jesus Christ's Church. So, in order to make the connection that the church is of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day saints, you have to say it the way it is. :)

I think it's correct, and Finnish is awesome!

Regards,

Vanhin

כנסיית ישוע המשיח של קדושי אחרית הימים

I love it.

"Church of Jesus the Messiah of the Latter-day Saints"

Makes perfect sense. Jesus is the Messiah of the Saints.

18 But, behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world, and despised the shame of it, they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their joy shall be full forever.

19 O the greatness of the mercy of our God, the Holy One of Israel! For he delivereth his saints from that awful monster the devil, and death, and hell, and that lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment. (2 Ne. 9:18-19)

There is deep significance and meaning in the name of the Church.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Thansk Hemi cool! What language is the first one?

Vanhin that translation really was interesting and beautiful.

Our Churche`s name is beautifull!

Urban... it has to be because of the Finnish wordorder is different and Engløish also differs from the Norwegean sometimes and I mix them all in my centances. :P

Guest mirancs8

كنيسة يسوع المسيح لقديسي الأيام الأخيرة

כנסיית ישוע המשיח של קדושי אחרית הימים

Dang it!!!! You're suppose to leave the Arabic to me! :D

1. Is that for real?

2. I never know which side of the bed you got up from...

Yes, if you did a Google search of <Newsweek, Best Country and Planet Utah> my guess is this thread would be the only thing than would show up with all three items.

Almost always the right side. Choose the right as they say in the waking business.

In Russian, the name is Церковь Иисуса Христа Святых последних дней. It does follow the English, for a bit--Church of Jesus Christ of Saint of the last days. But the problem is that you could also understand it to mean Church of Jesus Christ of the holy last days. And either translations, honestly, sounds a bit apocalyptic in Russian, which sometimes leads to misunderstandings.

People do ask what we mean by Saints there, since the Orthodox church has such of strong tradition of saints.