Do Dogs go to Heaven?

Durante

While watching a show (Robinson Crusoe) they mentioned that animals like dogs don't have "mortal spirits" and can't go to heaven... so my son (5) asked me if that's true, and I have to admit to my shame that I've never really thought about it... do dogs go to heaven?

I remember in the scriptures I read that in heaven there is no spot... that's the most seminary taught me about it.

I remember in the scriptures I read that in heaven there is no spot... that's the most seminary taught me about it.

Moroni 10:33

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

I think Maya is correct, but the verse above is the old "no pets in heaven joke" that I'm also guilty of sharing on my mission. :P

What I usually see quoted on the subject is this:

Doctrine and Covenants 77

2 Q. What are we to understand by the four beasts, spoken of in the same verse?

A. They are figurative expressions, used by the Revelator, John, in describing heaven, the paradise of God, the happiness of man, and of beasts, and of creeping things, and of the fowls of the air; that which is spiritual being in the likeness of that which is temporal; and that which is temporal in the likeness of that which is spiritual; the spirit of man in the likeness of his person, as also the spirit of the beast, and every other creature which God has created.

3 Q. Are the four beasts limited to individual beasts, or do they represent classes or orders?

A. They are limited to four individual beasts, which were shown to John, to represent the glory of the classes of beings in their destined order or sphere of creation, in the enjoyment of their eternal felicity.

Hi Durante, a scripture and some interesting quotes:

Moses 3:5 :

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth.

Joseph Smith also taught:

Says one, "I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts." Any man who would tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 291)

In the book "Sacred Truths of the Doctrine and Covenants" it says:

The spirits of animals are in the likeness of their bodies. The spirit is eternal and does not change. The spirit of an elephant looks like an elephant; the spirit of man looks like a man. This is true of all creatures under Heaven. Therefore, the body of the creature cannot change and evolve into something different and still look like its spirit. This principle is simply stated by the Lord that there might not be misunderstandings. (Sacred Truths of the Doctrine and Covenants Vol. II, p. 38)

They [animals] will be resurrected and placed in their appropriate places in Heaven. As the fall of Adam affected animals, (see Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:22) so also through the atonement will the animals be heirs of salvation in their respective spheres. (Sacred Truths of the Doctrine and Covenants Vol. II, p.38)

We also learn from this revelation and the word of the Lord in other revelations that in the eternities the animals and all living creatures shall be given knowledge, and enjoy happiness, each in its own sphere, in "their eternal felicity." These creatures will not then be the dumb creatures that we suppose them to be while in this mortal life. (Sacred Truths of the Doctrine and Covenants Vol. II, p. 69)

Sometimes I believe that discussing animals in heaven will offend all kinds of people for many reasons. We should love and appreciate all of G-d creations. There is never a good reason not to appreciate life in all it varieties. However, the grand challenge of our mortal existence and the plan of salvation is not contingent on perfecting our love of animals. Rather the objective is first to love G-d and then our fellow men. On these two principles hang all other things pertaining to heaven.

Those that adore their pets to the exclusions of their neighbors need not worry about their pets being in heaven – because of their neglect of G-d’s commandments concerning their neighbors, they will exclude themselves.

The Traveler

Our Family Dog

They will not go quietly,

the dogs who've shared our lives.

In subtle ways they let us know

their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think

we hear a barking at the door.

Or step back when we drop

a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place

the food dish used to be,

And, sometimes, coming home at night,

we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends

and a new food dish to fill,

That one place in our hearts

belongs to them…

and always will.

---Anonymous

I firmly believe animals that were loved will be there.

I doubt the cow made into a hamburger will be there, or the fire ants I poison. - What am I basing this on? nothing but my own kind of logic.

just my 2 cents

I thought of this, and then I thought that those poor cows need heaven just as much if not more! They deserve it!

My three musketeers... their mom is a border collie.

Posted Image

Moroni 10:33

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

Maybe not dogs, but there are definitely insects (Rev 14:6):

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

You guys are all incredible (and ladies) lol my oldest almost died laughing when I told him "Heaven is without spot" and "I saw another angel fly" I appreciate most the scriptures about the beasts and their spheres in heaven... though it's probably bad that I wonder if the resurrected cow would mind if I had a steak now and then.

Thank you all :-D

There isn't any real doctrine that teaches about this either way.

But... personally... when I was 14, my dog died, and one of the most reassuring things my father said about it was:

"Well, at least now Sparky gets to play with Greg for a while until we join him."

(Greg is my brother who was still born about 4 years before I was born.)