BYU vs anywhere else

Landy77

What is the difference between going to BYU for a degree and any other school. From what I see there are certain points someone must consider when wanting to attend BYU. First you will have BYU (Mormon) stamped on your resume and your life. Outside of LDS mecca (Utah) that can have a negative impact. Also the cost factor and the recognition. I know some institutions are not recognized as an accredited school because of being a private or religious institution.

It is important to realize that BYU has already received international recognition from their students speaking some degree of foreign languages, as well as, in the areas of genealogical research, home canning and Jell-O consumption. They are acclaimed by lovers of fry sauce everywhere.

Also the cost factor and the recognition.

BYU isn't particularly expensive.

Fall Semester Resident 12 Credit Hours;

UVU: $2138 Tuition and Fees for a semester (resident)

UoU: $2644 Tuition (and I assume Fees, I'm using a tuition calculator)

BYU: $2210 Tuition and Fees for a member, $4420 for a non-member (obviously better to go Ute, Wolverine or Aggie than Cougar if a non-LDS Utahn).

USU: $2377 Tuition and Fees

Now it isn't a community college but compare it to say University of Indiana at $3325 for Tuition and Fees (resident, full time). Or were you saying the cost factor is a positive for a school of it's reputation?

Edited by Dravin

Byu Is a great school. What are u going to major in?? I guess theirs alot of pros and cons in all things but I think going to byu is a pro alot of employers hire byu graduates, and alot of companys go after byu students and put them in intern programs, and recruit Byu grads. cause they know their honest and hard working. So I say go for it. Youll get a great education if you put the work into it, and youll also grow spiritual and meet many wonderful people, and have a blast too. Just dont forget to study. haha.

BYU is fully accredited, and -- religious or not -- well respected as a "good school" so far as having it on your resume goes. If you know "what you want to be when you grow up," you can better choose a school that caters to your specific interests -- engineering, for example. If you don't know what you want to do, BYU is a really great school because it's so huge and has such a wide variety. Many of its programs aren't as good as a specialized school might be, but they're still more than adequate.

What is the difference between going to BYU for a degree and any other school. From what I see there are certain points someone must consider when wanting to attend BYU. First you will have BYU (Mormon) stamped on your resume and your life. Outside of LDS mecca (Utah) that can have a negative impact. Also the cost factor and the recognition. I know some institutions are not recognized as an accredited school because of being a private or religious institution.

Perhaps you might want to read this list of alumni who graduated from BYU. It obviously shows that those who graduate from there have had no negative impact upon their life simply for the fact of it being a school backed by a particular religion.

List of Brigham Young University alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty distinguished group if you ask me.

I just "got it" from my anties on the other forum about BYU again... as it says on the site that it is given tithe money to support. They ask why would a poor countries saints pay tithes to support BUY. Gee this guy is :banghead:

Are forighn tites used to support BYU? This guy is so lame I dont think I ask any other of his questions here...

First you will have BYU (Mormon) stamped on your resume and your life. Outside of LDS mecca (Utah) that can have a negative impact.

Not really. The people who will have the power to hire you, didn't get to where they are by being narrow-minded religious bigots.

There's a big network of successful BYU alumni in the professional world, and that will be an asset to you regardless of where you wind up.

What is the difference between going to BYU for a degree and any other school.

No other institution is worthy of the appellation "Mormon Mating Grounds".

Not really. The people who will have the power to hire you, didn't get to where they are by being narrow-minded religious bigots.

There's a big network of successful BYU alumni in the professional world, and that will be an asset to you regardless of where you wind up.

No other institution is worthy of the appellation "Mormon Mating Grounds".

It worked for my daughter who got married and has given me my first grandson. No complaints here. ;) Aside from that, she and her husband both graduated and he is pursuing a law degree in Indiana. His BYU degree didn't seem to hurt him at all in getting into grad school.

We recently moved from MN where my husband worked at Mayo Clinic. Over the years there we saw innumerable med students and residents who had graduated from BYU. Mayo really seemed to like LDS men and women in their programs because of their intellect and stellar work ethic. Mayo Clinic isn't too shabby of a place to work.

I think BYU is actually an asset on a resume. As much anti-Morman sentiment that is out there, I think the professional community looks past that and respects honest, hard working LDS graduates.

I went to BYU - Idaho, and it didn't negatively affect transfering to other schools. The fact is that when you transfer from one school to another there are some classes that your new school will not accept or does not have a similar class to. I got my Associates from BYU - I and then went to USU to get my bachelors, but because my husband had health problems we had to move to Salt Lake City and I had to transfer from USU to U of U, I had more problems with my USU classes transferring than I did with my BYU - I classes transferring. In fact I had to re-take about 5 courses that I had taken at USU, just to get my degree at U of U.

BYU is a good college, my brother in law got his degree there and had no problem finding a job. I think what college you choose to go to really comes down to what you want to do in life, and how that college will help you get there. Often this applies more to grad school than it does to undergrad.

I have not encoutered any negative affect - anywhere in the world because of my BYU background - But then I am an Engineer and scientist - currently working as a consultant Engineer in automation and robotics. Even in the Bible Belt and among Baptists I have been treated with respect. Asia especially has high respect for Mormons. Usually my translators have been LDS (return missionaries) in both China and Japan.

The Traveler

It worked for my daughter who got married and has given me my first grandson. No complaints here. ;) Aside from that, she and her husband both graduated and he is pursuing a law degree in Indiana. His BYU degree didn't seem to hurt him at all in getting into grad school.

There are a couple of law schools that court BYU undergrads pretty aggressively. IU-Bloomington is one of them (Ave Maria is another).

One plus for BYU that I think employers are probably aware of is that BYU is not a party school and so is likely to have more serious students than some other schools and that the BYU students are of good moral character. To many employers, that is more important than whether they can hang out well at the water cooler or are fun on business trips.

I know some institutions are not recognized as an accredited school because of being a private or religious institution.

I've never heard of a school being refused accreditation because it is private and/or religious status. Harvard, Princeton and Yale are all private institutions. Liberty University is both private and religious, and (though not in the topmost academic league) has Level IV SACS accreditation, and its law school is accredited by the American Bar Association.

It is true that some questionable religious (and indeed non-religious) schools set up phoney accreditation systems to fool people into thinking that they are recognised. However, there are also some very good religious schools (like Columbia Evangelical Seminary) which do not have accreditation. Many are actually in the process of applying for accreditation, while others choose for their own reasons to remain outside the accreditation system.

As a BYU graduate I can say: It depends!

BYU in general has a good reputation scholastically, and also has the cachet of being a private institution. However some programs are better than others. So I would look at what you want to study, and decide if BYU best meets those needs.

If you are single there is the added benefit of meeting many members of the opposite sex that Probably belong to the same religion as yourself assuming you're a Mormon. They don't call it BY Woo for nothing.

Yeah, you definitely want to think about what your major's going to be.

I was a history major, and was told by several "in-the-know" that university admin deliberately keeps history (and a couple of other liberal arts majors, English among them) pretty "soft" so that the people who flunk out of the rigorous engineering and mathematics programs have a place to land and finish up their degrees without having to stay an extra year.

Personally, I'd choose any school for which I wouldn't have to sign an honor code over any school that required that signature. That just wasn't for me. Plus, when I visited BYU's campus, it gave me the creepiest feeling. I didn't like it at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble MOE, but most private schools have some sort of standards the the students agree to before admission is granted. Sometimes very politically correct.

Sorry to burst your bubble MOE, but most private schools have some sort of standards the the students agree to before admission is granted. Sometimes very politically correct.

I think the code of conduct at my school required that you be able to sign your name when you were booked into prison.