Greetings from IL

Yatiri

I really like LDS folk. The elders visit me every week. I enjoy the visits but sometimes it gets awkward.

At the present time I don't belong to any church having tried Roman Catholic, Assemblies of God, Vineyard.

I attended an LDS Sunday service and liked the family participation and the sacrament. I enjoyed how the priesthood young men dispensed the bread and wine (water actually).

The Book of Mormon is a great difficulty for me, as is the Bible for that matter.

I have no problem with Jesus, however. I know that may sound odd to others but it makes sense to me.

I get it... maybe because of my own experiences, but I'm not sure (as we've not had a full conversation, obviously).

Basically, I believe that the bible (especially the Old Testament) needs to be taken wit ha grain of salt. Clearly these things can't be absolutely literal, if only given the dates so many of them were written. That said, whats more important than the literal nature of those books is the essence.

As for the New Testament... these things can be taken more literal, though some things may not be, given the nature of verbal passing, and the time of writ, thus, just as with the Old Testament, some things come down to the grain of salt.

That said, there are fundamental truths throughout. Finding these can be difficult, but are key in realizing any sort of unblinded faith. With that in mind, I can only stress reading the scriptures with that grain of salt, to find its true worth.

As for the Book of Mormon, to a lesser extent, this record is also flawed as a great deal of it is a series of abridgements from larger works, thus some things may have been left out or unintentionally altered. Also, with certain things, you have to take into account the author's humanity*.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: the message may be from God, but the words are still being given through man.

This may or may not be a well supported mentality here, but regardless, it is an undeniable fact.

Personally, I believe that there is too much observational evidence of the Book of Mormon's holiness [through witnesses who condemned the church but never the book nor their statements, (mostly through the actions of Oliver Cowdrey)] to not realizee its worth as a true work and glory. And through that belief, the bible is reinforced as the one is an extension of the teaching found within the other and only serves as a reinforcement to its contents... again thats just my personal beliefs onthe matter but still.

At any rate... I dunno if that was the kind of greeting your were expecting, but I was compelled to ramble it on... so there you go.

Its good to see your on the boards, and I hope you find some answers, if such are what you are looking for.

*I say this namely in reference to Nephi's act of beheading King Laban. I refuse to believe that God would command anyone to break one of his own commandments as anything but a test (meaning he would stop them from actually commiting the act like he did with Abraham)... thus I find it much easier to believe in Nephi's humanity. Having been commanded to retrieve the Plates, Nephi finds Laban upon the ground, grasping the plates tightly... trying to figure out how to get them away from him, he sees Laban's sword, and decides the easiest way would be to slay him. Commiting a grievous act of seeming necessity, Nephi retrievess the plates... but as a record of his actions, he gives himself an excuse. I know thats not ever going to be the most popular explaination for his actions, but personally, I find it to be the most logical, and most coinciding with my belief in God.