Understanding Exaltation

jonathan909817

Hey guys. I'm 16 years old and i have been going to an LDS church near my house for almost a year, and when i turn 18, if i still want to, i will be baptized. The one thing that is really stopping me is exaltation- it is just a hard thing for me to grasp and understand, it just doesn't sound right to me. i figured maybe one of you could sort of water it down a bit so i can try to understand it more, i want to know why i should know that it is right, because so far the only reason i believe in exaltation is because i believe this church ir true and therefore it's doctrine must be true as well

For me, it is like growing up. We start as children, and grow in to adults, and have children of our own. I view Exaltation the same, we are children of our Heavenly Father, and have the potential to grow up, and do the things which He does. It in no way diminishes Him, and we can never usurp Him, He will always be superior to us.

Has that helped at all?

It's all about progression and growing up, not physically, but spiritually. The closer our relationships with our Father in Heaven get the more we can understand his gospel. If you're having trouble understanding it, try praying about it with a sincere intent to know the truth and faith that God.

Like the scriptures say: "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.";)

Right along the lines of what Gabelba was saying, our spirits are actually children of God the Father. Latter-day Saints believe that literally. Exaltation is the term we use when talking about our full potential as children of God. This mortal life is part of God's plan for us, which allows us, if we will choose it, to reach that full potential.

Those who are exalted will be allowed to return to the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and there our family relationships will continue forever. We will continue to progress until we become like our Father. We will participate in his work of helping mankind reach this potential in the eternities, thereby glorifying his name forever.

Regards,

Vanhin

Hey guys. I'm 16 years old and i have been going to an LDS church near my house for almost a year, and when i turn 18, if i still want to, i will be baptized. The one thing that is really stopping me is exaltation- it is just a hard thing for me to grasp and understand, it just doesn't sound right to me. i figured maybe one of you could sort of water it down a bit so i can try to understand it more, i want to know why i should know that it is right, because so far the only reason i believe in exaltation is because i believe this church ir true and therefore it's doctrine must be true as well

I think as Galpelpa stated, you have to first have a testimony that God is our "Heavenly Father." I think some of the doubt comes from not really seeing God as our Father. Just like you view your earthly parents, you should see God as our spiritual parents and then you can see our divine potential and our real desire to be like Him. "Heavenly Father" is not just a title, He really is our Father.

Can there be a Father without a son (or daughter)?

Can there be a son without a Father?

Here are the lyrics to "O my Father (Hymn 292):"

O my Father, thou that dwellest

In the high and glorious place,

When shall I regain thy presence

And again behold thy face?

In thy holy habitation,

Did my spirit once reside?

In my first primeval childhood

Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose

Thou hast placed me here on earth

And withheld the recollection

Of my former friends and birth;

Yet ofttimes a secret something

Whispered, “You’re a stranger here,”

And I felt that I had wandered

From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father,

Thru thy Spirit from on high,

But, until the key of knowledge

Was restored, I knew not why.

In the heav’ns are parents single?

No, the thought makes reason stare!

Truth is reason; truth eternal

Tells me I’ve a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,

When I lay this mortal by,

Father, Mother, may I meet you

In your royal courts on high?

Then, at length, when I’ve completed

All you sent me forth to do,

With your mutual approbation

Let me come and dwell with you.

For me, it was simple when I actually realized we had a Heavenly Mother. Tie that in with the fact that it is required to be sealed to an eternal companion in order to inherit the highest degree of glory in the next life. Even nature bares powerful witness of this truth.

To me, that's the sweetest tasting doctrine restored by Joseph Smith.

for me it's one of the few doctrines that "just make since". when i can't understand the why's of something i relate it back to what i know for sure. i ponder the family in this life. my parents, my children, my spouse, etc. how does that (being whatever i'm trying to figure out) fit in this type of setting? now take all of it and put it into an eternal and perfect situation. things always seem to eventually fit.

i really don't think i could have faith in the kind of god so many seem to believe in. i can't understand a god that just wants glory and followers. a god that would create all these beings, "test" them only to have them spend eternity praising him. there is nothing else we are supposed to be doing? just all seems to be one big waste under such a plan. there may be something i'm missing in the ideas behind those plans given i was raised lds but from what i've always seen on the outside looking in i can't understand it.

lol i hope that made some since and didn't confuse more. lol

Does the offspring of a duck grow up to be an elk? Does the offspring of tigers grow up to be an eagle? No, everything in nature has offspring that grows up to be like its parent.

Acts 17:29 says: "Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device."

We are the offspring of God. What will we become if we follow him?

I kind of think of it like when I go to visit my parents.

I have a spouse, like they do. I have children, like they do. I have a job, like they do.

I have everything they have,

But my dad is still my dad. My mom is still my mom. They don't stop being parents, just because I am one.

If he says, "hey, don't do that in my house," I don't do it. If they tell me I should pay more attention to something, I pay more attention to it. Meaning, I still respect them and love them and learn from them, but I have everything they have and I'm big just like them.

Great question :)

God didn't just give us the Plan of Salvation simply just to be clean, but that we could be clean and pure to endure his presence. And live with him, and more importantly be like him. We grow to become like him. We follow the Savior's example because the Savior followed the Father's example. If we follow the Savior we are following the Fathers example. We become unified in purpose with the father, doing the good things, and we will learn what he knows, when we are prepared for it. To be like him we must know what he knows. We can't know what he knows all at once, hence we take it in steps, as Christ did. Phew.... hope it helps?

I personally do not believe in the concept of exaltation as believed by many LDS people. I believe there is only one God, and there never has been and never will be one like Him.

Also, I believe we are a cherished creation of God, but that we only become His children after we accept His Gospel and are baptized.

So......you are not LDS? Why are you a Book of Mormon lover and what's with the gold plates? You believe some...but not all?

So......you are not LDS?

Correct.

Why are you a Book of Mormon lover and what's with the gold plates?

Why wouldn't I be it is the most amazing book ever!

You believe some...but not all?

I tend to be a scriptural literist and believe only what is plainly written in the two books. I respect and try to understand those that see other things I don't personally see there.

how about Doctrine and Covenants...ever read?

Read these scriptures:

II Nephi 2:14

D&C 93:29.

D&C 93:29.

Abraham 3:19.

D&C 93:33.

D&C 131:7-8

Abraham 4:10,12,18; Helaman 12:8-9

Jacob 4:6; I Nephi 20:13.

D&C 29:36, Moses 4:1,4

Alma 42:13,22,25

Mormon 9:19

Alma 34:15.

Alma 34:9.

When I have the time, I will take a gander. But in the meantime can you tell me what you believe these scriptures are saying?