Best day for an EQ presidency meeting.

I know what your wise-cracking answer will be to the question of what the best day is for an EQ presidency meeting: when everyone can meet!

But has anyone every thought about this long and hard. Is there any evidence that one day might be the most effective, assuming all presidency members can meet at any time?

We used to meet on Wednesday nights. That was changed to Sunday right after church. One presidency member has requested we go back to Wednesday nights. His excuses are plentiful, but in each instance I have asked him "what does your frustration with our quorum members not following through have to do with our meeting being on a Sunday or Wednesday?" I think perhaps some of his personal failures are being cloaked under the blame of what day we meet, which does seem weird.

But does anyone have any compelling reason why a Tuesday night, Saturday morning, Thursday night, etc., is the best time?

Other than we've been instructed to reduce the amount of meetings we hold on Sundays, I think any day that works for the members of the presidency is best.

What compelling reason can there be for meeting on a certain day? Everyone's schedule is different. And how can you determine that someone's "personal failures are being cloaked under the blame of what day we meet"?? I don't understand how that is a viable argument.

What compelling reason can there be for meeting on a certain day? Everyone's schedule is different. And how can you determine that someone's "personal failures are being cloaked under the blame of what day we meet"?? I don't understand how that is a viable argument.

I'm not sure what compelling reason there could be... that's why I ask. But here's why the counselor says Wednesday: because if we do it on Sunday, then that day and the first couple days after, he is in a mode of thinking he has more time (i.e., procrastination). Then, by the time the middle of the week roles around, he has forgotten about everything. So, if it is on Wednesday, he would remember things before the next Sunday. My position is that what does it matter? But, in case people have compelling reasons, that's why I ask.

This individual I'm telling you about brought it up on Sunday that he thinks doing the meetings on Sunday is why our whole quorum is a funk. Background: he has complained that he gets no assignments. So then he is given assignments, clearly laid out, with the expectation and the deadline. It still doesn't happen. So, in the course of complaining about the day, he has said things like he's not inspired because the only people that do the work are the presidency members, etc. Everyone else won't do their home teaching, won't do missionary work, they leave church early, they get to church late, they don't do family home evening, etc., etc., etc. So, my point, is, what does all that have to do with what day we meet? I ALSO don't understand how a failure to get things done individually has anything to do with which day our presidency meets!

Brother, welcome to the real world. You will find members of the church in varying degrees of committment to their individual calling. One thing I've had to learn over my years in serving in the church is that I cannot expect others to be at my same level of committment or understanding.

When we raise our hand to sustain others in their calling, we allow them to succeed or fail with all options within the spectrum. Unless you are the president of the quorum, your job is to sustain the others and do what you can to gently and humbly help others. It can and is frustrating to see failure (or our perception of failure) in others, but ultimately, we have to forgive and do our part.

Brother, welcome to the real world. You will find members of the church in varying degrees of committment to their individual calling. One thing I've had to learn over my years in serving in the church is that I cannot expect others to be at my same level of committment or understanding.

When we raise our hand to sustain others in their calling, we allow them to succeed or fail with all options within the spectrum. Unless you are the president of the quorum, your job is to sustain the others and do what you can to gently and humbly help others. It can and is frustrating to see failure (or our perception of failure) in others, but ultimately, we have to forgive and do our part.

Thanks for your responses! I am the quorum president, so I do have a vested interest in the personal and spiritual development of this brother as it pertains to his calling, which I know was inspired. Now, I don't know if the calling was more for our quorum's benefit, or his (already understanding the theory of mutual benefit). But I, too, sustain him; what day we do presidency meeting isn't something which has been confirmed to me through revelation, so I'm willing to reconsider the day.

But @all, again, perhaps there is a real type-A out there who has defined through some unique algorithm of human/societal/organizational psychology, which day is the best. I just don't think there is one, in spite of the "concerns" my counselor brought up!

I know what your wise-cracking answer will be to the question of what the best day is for an EQ presidency meeting: when everyone can meet!

I'm not sure why that's a wise-cracking answer. It's the right one.

But has anyone every thought about this long and hard.

Nope. I think long and hard more about what's going to be discussed during the presidency meeting than about when it will happen.

But here's why the counselor says Wednesday: because if we do it on Sunday, then that day and the first couple days after, he is in a mode of thinking he has more time (i.e., procrastination). Then, by the time the middle of the week roles around, he has forgotten about everything. So, if it is on Wednesday, he would remember things before the next Sunday.

Sounds reasonable to me.

This individual I'm telling you about brought it up on Sunday that he thinks doing the meetings on Sunday is why our whole quorum is a funk. Background: he has complained that he gets no assignments. So then he is given assignments, clearly laid out, with the expectation and the deadline. It still doesn't happen. So, in the course of complaining about the day, he has said things like he's not inspired because the only people that do the work are the presidency members, etc. Everyone else won't do their home teaching, won't do missionary work, they leave church early, they get to church late, they don't do family home evening, etc., etc., etc. So, my point, is, what does all that have to do with what day we meet? I ALSO don't understand how a failure to get things done individually has anything to do with which day our presidency meets!

My husband is the ward clerk. He gets up around 5:00am every day. On Sundays, he spends the bulk of his quiet morning hours preparing paperwork, etc. for meetings he'll attend. He has to be at the bishop's house at 9:00am on Sunday morning. At 10:00, he has to attend PEC/Welfare/Ward Council. Our bishop is long-winded. My husband usually gets home around 11:30am. Church starts at 12:30pm for us, and he has things he needs to take care of at the chapel before meetings start, so we're out the door by 11:45am. He counts the members in attendance during Sacrament meeting, and then comes back to sit with my daughter and I. After Sacrament meeting, he is around the building or in the clerk's office the remainder of church services. He has not been able to attend either Sunday School or Priesthood in nearly two years. Some weeks, he stays after church to help take care of settings apart or tithing. It's not uncommon for us to be at church at 4:30pm still. When we get home, he still has phone calls and emails to take care of. He's typically not done with his church duties until around 8:00pm, when we put our daughter to bed.

Obviously, Sunday is not a day of rest for my husband. He has a hundred things to keep track of, and though he is an excellent clerk who keeps the inner workings of the ward running as smooth as a naval ship, he would be better able to serve if things were more spread out during the week. As it is, he also visits the chapel at least once a week to take care of things that have to be done through MLS and not online.

I can completely understand how Sundays would be a frazzling day to add something to, and how a preference might lean toward "any day but." Additionally, for many men, weekends are the only good quality time they are able to spend with their families, and they don't want to cut into that unnecessarily. Hence the counsel against too many meetings on the Sabbath.

But I, too, sustain him; what day we do presidency meeting isn't something which has been confirmed to me through revelation, so I'm willing to reconsider the day.

The Lord cares about many things, but I honestly can't imagine that it matters much to Him what day you have a presidency meeting.

Edited by Wingnut

Monday night. No, that's not right, we're supposed to do something Monday night, but the kids ran off with it.

Tuesday night. No, that won't work either, Enrichment.

Wednesday night. no, young mens...

Thursday night. Nope, Family History has commandeered the building.

Friday night? No, just no. Date night, or ward social or....

Saturday, no that's a special day, it's the day we get ready for...

Sunday, no, gotta minimize meetings.

Only day left is Flopsday, and that only comes around once in a blue moon.

My ideal meeting time would be a teleconference on a week night at 9:00 PM. And then a 10 minute huddle before services start on Sunday. Then once every 4 - 6 weeks, I'd do a full, in-person meeting just because.

Like one of our stake presidency members said: "There are many right ways to do things." I'm actually open to this possibility. Our bishop already does my monthly PPI by phone!

Thanks for the idea!

My husband is the ward clerk. He gets up around 5:00am every day. On Sundays, he spends the bulk of his quiet morning hours preparing paperwork, etc. for meetings he'll attend. He has to be at the bishop's house at 9:00am on Sunday morning. At 10:00, he has to attend PEC/Welfare/Ward Council. Our bishop is long-winded. My husband usually gets home around 11:30am. Church starts at 12:30pm for us, and he has things he needs to take care of at the chapel before meetings start, so we're out the door by 11:45am. He counts the members in attendance during Sacrament meeting, and then comes back to sit with my daughter and I. After Sacrament meeting, he is around the building or in the clerk's office the remainder of church services. He has not been able to attend either Sunday School or Priesthood in nearly two years. Some weeks, he stays after church to help take care of settings apart or tithing. It's not uncommon for us to be at church at 4:30pm still. When we get home, he still has phone calls and emails to take care of. He's typically not done with his church duties until around 8:00pm, when we put our daughter to bed.

Right. It's called a black sabbath. When you leave it's dark. When you come home it's dark. Black sabbath!