How do you get a calling in the church?

jonathan909817

Hidden

The bishop is the one who generally asks if you want a calling, though he works with others (presidents from elders quorum, relief society, sunday school, counselors, etc), and those others and he will pray for guidance on who should be called to a specific calling. :)

Guest mysticmorini

I think the real question is how do you avoid getting a calling.

:o

lol ditto. i think short of making yourself unworthy to hold a calling its pretty much futile.

Our ward actually has a good problem to have - we have so many active members that without making up callings (which we have done) not every active member can have a calling. So if you have an extremly large number of active ward members you may spend some time without a calling.

The Bishop and the leaders of the various auxilleries should be depending on prayer and inspiration to make callings, however I know from past experience this does not always happen.

My bishop told me that everyone needs to be nourished by the good word, a friend, and a calling. You can tell him that you would like a calling, and then wait a while for one. He will need time to pray about it, and when the Lord says where the proper place for you is, the bishop will call you into his office and tell you :)

Actually, you have a calling. As a baptized member, you are called to serve others. Serving can include doing your home/visiting teaching, sustaining and supporting those with official callings, taking opportunities to quietly serve someone who needs it, among many other ways to serve. Look around you--there are many ways to serve whether in your family, ward, or community.

My bishop told me that everyone needs to be nourished by the good word, a friend, and a calling.

I'd say your bishop is a wise man. Actually, he's referencing President Hinckley's talk Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep, in which President Hinckley says the same thing, with one little distinction. He chooses the word 'assignment' instead of 'calling. And he's referring primarily to new members. For many new members, adjusting to doctrine and culture is a huge change to make, and a calling is often too much to handle right off the bat. An assignment, however, might be more manageable: greeter, missionary meal coordinator, etc.

How to get a calling? Try this....

Slip into the back of the church and sit by yourself. Wear dark glasses and avoid eye contact with other members. Speak to no one!! Leave hastily during the closing hymn and bolt for the door.

Worked for me!!! :cool:

• 1 year later...

Sometimes you do not get a calling. Sorry if anyone thinks you will auto get one. We never did in most wards we lived in.

In one ward we just got tired of it and when the bishop called us in to chat we asked if we could do something in genealogy. He laughed and asked if we would like to team teach a family history class which we did. Sometimes you do have to ask. Of course in another ward we asked and were never asked to do anything so....

Good luck.

Do you ask someone to consider you for a calling or do they just kinda ask you if they feel you are right for the position after praying about it

Theres nothing against letting a leader know that you think you are qualified for some position and indicate that youd like to serve in that role. However inspiration and revelation are pretty much trump. There have been a few cases where a leader has thought about calling a person to one position only to get inspiration when they prey and seek for guidance to put that perso in a differnt position than originally planned.

I wouldn't know. I've been a member for fifteen years and have never had one.

My parents, on the other hand, were called to be ward librarians back in 2004 and they served in that capacity until a few weeks ago.

I guess we are the unloved and unwanted. We have certainly felt that way. If you feel that way Gunslinger just remember God loves you and has work for you even if the ward doesnt. :)