How to keep on going when diagnosed with disease?

jonathan909817

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and ever since i've been scared about it. I got it because it runs in my family and because i'm obese. I'm scared to the point where it interferes with everything i do, and example is this: (My thoughts)"Why try to learn this song, i'm gonna die soon anyway, maybe even lose an arm, or maybe my eyesight" and then i just feel horrible(a bad gut feeling) for the rest of the day. I can't stand it anymore! I am doing what i need to do to either reverse or better control the diabetes. I excercise, eat better, and i have already lost 50 pounds since like 6 months ago. I was 333 pounds, and then i started losing the weight now i'm down to around 280 and i'm gonna keep going until i'm at least 200 pounds and i am hoping that will help/solve the problem. It's just so horrible having these self-pitying, scary thoughts about the future. What should i do?:(

Guest mormonmusic
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and ever since i've been scared about it. I got it because it runs in my family and because i'm obese. I'm scared to the point where it interferes with everything i do, and example is this: (My thoughts)"Why try to learn this song, i'm gonna die soon anyway, maybe even lose an arm, or maybe my eyesight" and then i just feel horrible(a bad gut feeling) for the rest of the day. I can't stand it anymore! I am doing what i need to do to either reverse or better control the diabetes. I excercise, eat better, and i have already lost 50 pounds since like 6 months ago. I was 333 pounds, and then i started losing the weight now i'm down to around 280 and i'm gonna keep going until i'm at least 200 pounds and i am hoping that will help/solve the problem. It's just so horrible having these self-pitying, scary thoughts about the future. What should i do?:(

I've been there a number of times. Just went through a round of medical tests in order to determine if I have cancer or some other disease. Had symptoms of Lou Gehrig's disease a few years ago, which persist today but have been diagnosed as benign...but are persistent. Doctors say "we'll have to wait until it localizes to determine what form of neurological disorder it is"....and that was 4 years ago. I've had to live with the fear I have MS, Parkinsons or Lou G's disease when the symptoms onset a few years ago... so I've had to learn to deal with the uncertainty and fears just as you are. I came through this last round of tests with a possible cancer diagnoses looming VERY WELL emotionally. Here are my attitude conditioners.

1. Today, with all it experiences and enjoyment will be today whether I eventually have a terminal or debilitating disease or not. The terminal or debilitating disease hasn't been diagnosed yet, so I'm going to use this time to enjoy myself and be free.

2. If I worry about the outcome of the tests/disease etcetera, then that will ruin today. And the feared outcomes of the tests/disease may well be minor or benign. So, let's assume everything will work out alright and enjoy today while I'm still free of any debilitating symptoms or a formal diagnoses of cancer.

3. I'm usually wrong when I try to forecast the bad things that will happen to me. Usually other bad things happen to me instead (I'm partly kidding :). I'm rarely ever right about my health, so why speculate!

4. Don't read internet stuff about your health unless you've got a definite diagnoses in hand. Even them, read about controlling and treating the conditon. So, read about controlling your diabetes but forget reading about the possible consequences if it develops. Work hard at control and forget the rest until it happens.

I read about the details of the medical tests I was going to have recently so I knew what to expect because I was scheduled to have the tests. I also came up with some questions that I forgot to ask my doctor, and wanted an answer. But all I read about were the procedures of the tests -- not the possible diagnoses. This kept my peace.

5. If you have a family or children, make your silence and lack of worry about your disease your gift to them so you don't cause them to worry about their health or bring them down in their enjoyment of life..

6. Remember Marcus Aurelius who said (paraphrased) -- Don't worry about the future, for your'll meet it with the same ability you have conquered the challenges of today. If something bad happens, you'll adjust just as you've adjusted to the other challenges you have faced in your life.

Hope this helps!! I've thought long and hard about this, and as a former chronic worry wart who has recently seemed to have gotten the upper hand over worry, I believe you can do it!!!

Edited by mormonmusic

If I had a disease like cancer or something that threatens a shorter lifespan, I would go out and learn as much as I can, experience as much as I can, do good to others as much as I can, study the scriptures as much as I can, LIVE LIFE FULLY as much as I can... before the end. Because, you know, you wouldn't want to get to the end full of regrets!

Jonathan, first of all congratulations with your weight loss! Second, once you lose all the weight, exercise and have a healthy diet I am very confident your diabetes will disappear. Did you read about Drew Carey (host of The Price is Right). He was obese and diagnosed with diabetes. He lost ALL the weight and he no longer has diabetes! Just to cheer you up:

Drew Carey Weight Loss Cured His Diabetes

:)

Prediabetes is curable. This is not something you will have to live with for the rest of your life if you can make the lifestyle changes that are necessary. Didn't your doctor or nurse give you information about metabolic syndrome (prediabetes)? At the very least the should have given you pamphlets.

1st, you are not your disease.

2nd, you can change how you think and feel

3rd, we can only control what is happening to us in the moment. If we choose correctly in this moment the next one will be easier.

I suggest you search the internet for information on metabolic syndrome. Then make the changes necessary to take control of your health. Diet and exercise are crucial. The changes sound simple but they are anything but easy unless you change how you think. It sounds like you are making these changes.

You can also change your thoughts. When you start having the scarey thoughts and recognize it, then immediately start thinking of something positive, or sing a song, or look at positive pictures.

addition: Pray!!! Get a priesthood blessing!!!

Best wishes

Edited by applepansy

Your down to 280! way to go brother! so am I just this week.

You don't need to be scared because all those things they say "could" happen are not set in stone. I'm gonna share and I hope its helpful. Another reason you don't need to be scared is because your doing something proactive about it. You just watch as you lose the weight you will be amazed at how your body will respond and heal. I speaking from an experience I'm going through right now myself.

At the start of January 2010 I weighed 419lbs. I was using 200 units of Lantus on top of how ever much of Novolog i needed and even with that my blood sugar was running into the 300-400s. my A1C was 13 which I'm told is off the chart. At the end of Dec I decided that i was sick and tired of being sick and tired an decided to start working out to get better like you have, I started by praying to God to help me find will power to make this change and see it through, and I think that made the biggest difference. By the end of Feb, I was taking only 100 units of Lantus and i was able to stop taking Novolog. My blood doc said that if i kept going i would be off insulin all together in six months.

In June I stopped all insulin and the end of July I was ok'd to stop the rest of my diabetic medication (I am type 2) and my A1C was 5.6 which is normal! The doctor said that I had "effectively cured it" I have lost 139 lbs in 8 months i walk 9 miles a day six in the morning three at night do weights every Mon Wends Friday bicycle now Saturday's and do Kenpo on Thursday night. I also changed my diet I try to stick to a more low glycimic diet and shoot for around 1500-2500 cal a day.

But like I said before your moving in the right direction so let not your heart be troubled.

think about all the fun stuff your going to be able to do once you get down to your desired weight. walking biking hiking will be no sweat you will be able to go to events have fun and things like that. use the good things that can come to overcome the negative thoughts.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Saldrin
forgot some info

I have been eating like this for example.

Oatmeal w/ cinnamon (some times with organic berry's)with some protein like cheese or an egg or protein shake. 1 serving oatmeal was 150 cal (8am) I also had some cheese and rice at 6am woke up low.

for lunch a chicken salad with cheese and free dressing. I have been using dole salad kits, half is two servings but two servings is like 40 cal so i use half of the kit. 420 cal once everything was in (noon)

then i would have something sensible for dinner what ever is made.

for instance

Meat loaf pie with

potatoes on it

1/2 vegetables

436 cal

i had to have a snack to increase my blood sugar at night i had started having lows a lot at this point.

Gardetto's

Precious stringers 390

the total days calories were 1596

one good thing to do is track how you eat for a month. record your day your time and what fitness activity's you have done. When i started i used food sheets and tracked everything about what i eat. fat, calories protein. sometime when i needed to look stuff up i used LIVESTRONG.COM - Health, Fitness, Lifestyle | LIVESTRONG.COM it required some verification on a few things but it was pretty informative. Also eating healthy isn't just eating fruits and veggies. you need to make sure your body has enough calorie wise to get the job done. If you eat to few calories, your body will go into starvation mode, and will rebound bad when you go back to normal levels of eating, no exceptions. and looking at my logs, there were days i did only eat between 1000-1500 but i didn't feel the need to either.

give these articles a read through too i though they were interesting I got them from my former personal trainer she said its good info.l

7 Foods That Should Never Cross Your Lips - Prevention.com

How to be a Budget Organic - Prevention.com

hang in there you will beat it, I will keep you in my prayers brother.

Edited by Saldrin
adding helpful links

In June I stopped all insulin and the end of July I was ok'd to stop the rest of my diabetic medication (I am type 2) and my A1C was 5.6 which is normal! The doctor said that I had "effectively cured it" I have lost 139 lbs in 8 months i walk 9 miles a day six in the morning three at night do weights every Mon Wends Friday bicycle now Saturday's and do Kenpo on Thursday night. I also changed my diet I try to stick to a more low glycimic diet and shoot for around 1500-2500 cal a day.

That's totally awesome Saldrin. :clap:

Keep up the great work.

Hey saldrin, how do you eat all of those calories a day? i can't find anything healthy that has a lot of calories in it so i can get that many, i end up eating only a few hundred a day because, now that i stopped eating as much, i can't stuff much down anymore.

When I was on Weight Watchers, I often could not eat all of the food in the list for a meal. Funny how that happens when you're eating decent foods. I would just save the extra... servings of fruit or what have you and eat it in an hour or two, and spread it throughout the day. If I couldn't fit it in, I couldn't fit it in.

I'm also one of those people who would rather eat less than have to eat something like low fat cheddar cheese, or most other low-fat options. I don't think the chemicals they use to make fake fat are better for you than real fat.

I ate yesterday and today a big peace of a Brownie cake....:blush:

First time in months I baked a cake. :) It was good!

We also bought a good juicer. Now we will make a lot of juices. Luckily I have good antioxidant juice in case I dont have possibility to make it myself... :D

• 3 weeks later...

to do something about it, you first have to want to do something about it. As you are scared, this is a good time to evaluate your life/lifestyle/eating habits. I know, diabetes runs in my family and is always at the back of my mind, but fortunately, it has by passed me and hit my nephew.

We also have a big heart disease problem in the family and it is when I found out that my sole remaining brother had stents fitted in his heart that it hit home that I should be doing something about my weight.

I am still obese but I was morbidly obese and could have died at any time. My knees hurt I was breathless and still I carried on eating rubbish and could hardly walk a hundred yards without stopping and being out of breath.

I joined a gym and got a personal trainer and have never looked back.

Its hard, noone ever said it would be easy 2-3 times i have felt like giving up but never have.

I hope that you will find your own way to deal with this, there are simple things you can do, the first one is to leave out dairy products and increase your fresh meat and vegetable intake as this promotes your systems into shock and working properly - I am trying to study clinical nutrition so i am learning all about this.

Take care and pray about it - Heavenly Father will show you the way if only you ask