Mormon Bishop shot and killed in California

pam

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The human mind is geared in such a way, that if there's a gap between here and there, the mind will attempt to fill it in.

There is currently a gap between what we know, and the true motives behind the shooter's actions.

What we know:

* Dood asked for "the president or Bishop".

* Dood then shot the person put in front of him as a result of his asking.

* Eye witnesses didn't recognize Dood.

* Dood called cops shortly after, and fired on them when they arrived.

So as my mind attempts to fill in that gap, some initial tentative conclusions pop out. Dood seemed to be gunning for church authority, not a specific person. The altercation with the cops could mean anything - the aftermath of a killing can leave Dood in any random state of mind - or he could have planned it that way.

I come up with the following possibilities:

* Someone close to the shooter became involved in the church, and broke off a relationship with him (possibly because he was doing horrible things).

* Political motivations (Prop-8, or a "desire to send a message" to Mormons or about mormons.)

* Drugs or mental issues put something bizzare into Dood's brain.

It will be interesting to hear more. If we don't hear more from the California news media, that would beef up the possibility of option 2 in my mind - because the last thing an anti-prop-8 person wants, would be to have Dood end up being someone on their side.

LM

He was on the prop 8 hit list. However I think that the evidence more closely points to mental problems.

There's a "hit list"?

He was on the "Mormonsfor8" list of donors--donated $1500--but other Mormons in the area donated more. And he wasn't bishop at the time of the campaign.

Well My prayers are to the family at this time.

Pledgie — Donate To: "Help Bishop Sannar's family"

What's the source of this link? Has it been confirmed as valid, or is it a scam?

He was on the "Mormonsfor8" list of donors--donated $1500

Where can you find that info JAG? I've looked on the three "Click here to see a complete list of donors" spreadsheets at mormonsfor8.com, and can't find the name "Sannar" anywhere. There's a "Clay S" from Visalia, CA - but not really enough from that website to know it's the same Clay S...

LM

What's the source of this link? Has it been confirmed as valid, or is it a scam?

LM

the link was posted at the end of one of the articles with this caution...

*KSL.com has not verified the accuracy of the information provided with respect to the account nor does ksl.com assure that the monies deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

i personally would be cautious. reading the link it says...

This fundraiser was organized by Connor Boyack, a fellow Latter-day Saint (Mormon) living in Lehi, UT. All funds will be sent directly to Sister Sannar (Clay’s wife). For any questions, you may contact me at any time at [email protected] or 801.376.2647. For those who question the legitimacy of this fundraiser or my integrity, I’m certainly happy to provide references!

doesn't look to be an official thing the family is part of.

Our meetinghouse houses 3 wards, and I could not recognize a single person from the other two wards to save my life.

When you fill out your tithing or fast offering envelope, you can write that you want xx funds to go to a particular purpose. I'm sure the church will set something up for this family.

Where can you find that info JAG? I've looked on the three "Click here to see a complete list of donors" spreadsheets at mormonsfor8.com, and can't find the name "Sannar" anywhere. There's a "Clay S" from Visalia, CA - but not really enough from that website to know it's the same Clay S...

LM

Same list . . . due to some complaints the Mormonsfor8 guys went through and redacted the last names of all the Mormons.

I probably assumed too much. Could be another "Clay S", but I doubt it.

Connor's Conundrums | Politics, Philosophy, Religion, and Other Conundrums

the man who is operating this is a Op-ed writer for the Deseret News, Salt Lake Trib, and is not some fly by night swindler (IMO at least)

Of course, I am sure you can sent a donation to the ward directly if you are uncomfortable with the link.

I will share 3 true stories of things I went through while serving as a Bishop and a Branch President. I served about 10yrs in these callings and these things happened to me.

While you are serving as a Bishop or Branch Pres, my wife is greatly involved also. My point being that when someone calls and she answers they will start talking with her and trying to go into detail sometimes about their problems, which she would stop them. One day someone called and wanted to know when they could meet with me at church. My wife being the great person that she is said, he will be there on Wednesday evening and if you get there at 7pm he will meet with you. This was someone that we did not know. I asked her after she told me about this, why didnt you tell him to meet me tonight at church, you know I am going to be there. She stated, this is a stranger, I do not want you meeting him up there by yourself. Wednesday evenings were the nights for YW and YM etc. The next evening at 7pm this man shows up. He was directed to me and we went into the office and he started by asking me a question. He pointed to a pic on the wall of Jesus Christ and asked me if I knew who that was. I stated yes I did and told him who it was. He told me it was not Jesus Christ and that he was Jesus Christ. My first thoughts were, "why me". He went on talking several more minutes and soon realised I was not going to join forces for his cause and asked me if he was wasting his time with me. I responded with a YES. He left, however that was not the last time we saw him. He kept coming around from time to time and finally I had to call the Police. I told them what he looked like and they already knew who I was talking about. We never saw him again.

My second story also took place while serving as a Bishop. I was in my office after church and I was the only one there. The door to my office was open and I heard the Church entrance door open and shut. About that time an active member walked into my office and started cussing me out. He called me every name in the book and them some. My first thought was to haul off and bust him upside his head. However, the spirit told me to softly say to him, Brother _____ you have said enough, its time to go on home. He pointed his finger at me again and the spirit told me again to repeat what I just said. I did and he turned around and left. Later that evening I called my Stake President and told him what happened. He told me to be carefull and he told me a story about a Bishop that was shot on the church lawn in our Stake several years ago. That scared me to death. This guy and his wife were seperating and apparently he did not like what I told his wife.

My third story took place just after I was called as a Branch President. One evening I got a call on my home phone. This lady was in the area from Washington. She was needing to get back and I am leaving out alot of details. She also told me she was a member and I asked her what Ward she was in. I called the Bishop of this Ward and found out she was no longer a member, and was suffering from bi-polar and depression and a few other things. After that phone call I decided I was not going to help her. She also had a boyfriend with her. They kept calling me and calling me begging me for help. They wanted me to get them bus tickets back to Washington. This started on a Friday evening. By Saturday I decided to get them bus tickets and was going to take them to the Bus Station.

Once again, my Wife begged me not to go by myself. I did not know who to get. The full time Missionaries lived very close to me so I picked them up. We went to the Hotel where this couple was staying at. I went to the door and knocked. No answer, knocked again, no answer. Went down to the Hotel Lobby and had someone call their room, no answer. Went back home and about 30 minutes later, she started calling me begging me to come back and they were sorry they missed me etc. I was disgusted and told her I was not coming back and that was it. Finally I had to unplug our house phones so we would not be bothered.

On Monday I read the paper where a couple was arrested and the Police found several guns and knifes in their possession. I soon realised this was the couple that was calling me all weekend. I called the police and told them what I knew about them.

They were taken to the County Jail and about a week later another phone call. This was a collect call coming from the County Jail and would I accept the charges. I called a friend of mine who works at the County Jail and told her what was going on . She took care of the rest. No more phone calls until 6 months later when they were released. I told them I am still not helping. Never heard from them again. Scary for me and my whole family.

It's hard to pry details out of the old-timers, but apparently a few decades ago, a young woman in our ward was murdered. In the initial investigation, all the prime suspects were also ward members - but apparently they caught who did it and it was not a ward member.

A member of my ward was a Bishop a decade ago. He keeps an unlisted number - even in ward lists - because someone out there has expressed desire to kill him for something he did back as a Bishop.

Oh - and Pale - if your Jesus was in a Las Vegas Nevada ward, then I know the guy. He came from Salt Lake, and my goodhearted dad stored his stuff in our garage for years, hoping he'd eventually beat whatever illness had siezed him.

LM

This fundraiser was organized by Connor Boyack, a fellow Latter-day Saint (Mormon) living in Lehi, UT. All funds will be sent directly to Sister Sannar (Clay’s wife). For any questions, you may contact me at any time at [email protected] or 801.376.2647. For those who question the legitimacy of this fundraiser or my integrity, I’m certainly happy to provide references!

Don't know if this will make any difference or not, since I'm just a username on this forum (and a fairly new one), but I can vouch for Connor. He is a superb young man, and I know him through his mother, Merrilee Boyack, who is a published LDS author and regularly circuits the U.S. for events like "Time Out for Women". Connor is also a political activist and very active in not only his community there in Lehi, UT, but also in Southern California where I believe he is from originally and also nationwide.

The family may come up with their own donation channel over time, but if anyone is hesitating to give to the fund that Connor Boyack has set up, then maybe my "endorsement" will help you feel more comfortable doing so.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this headline. What a tragedy. I can only have hope and find some comfort in knowing (as do the vast majority on this forum, I would imagine) that this good Bishop is now beginning to fulfill his calling on the other side and must have been needed by the Lord. My heart and my prayers go out to his wife, children and family.

rubondfan2

Why didn't the spirit whisper to someone? Anyone? to warn that this would happen.This makes me believe it was truly this Bishops time to go. Am I wrong?

Do you think that every person ever killed and not saved was appointed unto death at that time? I don't.

If you have a couple spare bucks please consider donating to the Sannar Family.

This fundraiser has been set up by a fellow Latter-Day Saint, Connor Boyack and all donations will be sent directly to the Sannar Family Trust Fund.

The current $60,000 fundraising goal is a somewhat symbolic number, in that it would be $10,000 for each of Clay’s six sons.

Pledgie — Donate To: "Help Bishop Sannar's family"