Book of Mormon Luvr

BookofMormonLuvr

Hello all! As my name says, I love of the Book of Mormon! I am not, however, LDS. I believe one of the tasks given to me is to build better understanding and a sense of fellowship amoung the various believers in the Book of Mormon who belong to the different churches of the Restoration. I believe the Gospel of Salvation is simple:

Have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

Repent of your sins

Be baptized in His name

Become as a little child

Endure to the end

I look forward to the discussion here and hope my occasional difference of opinion will not be offensive to anyone.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr

It's interesting a couple of things you have mentioned today. You mentioned Restorationist Christian and in referring to the Priesthood you mentioned "holy order."

Awhile back we had another poster that used those same words. Perhaps you two know each other.

http://www.lds.net/forums/christian-beliefs-board/16515-q-bro-kristoffer.html

It's interesting a couple of things you have mentioned today. You mentioned Restorationist Christian and in referring to the Priesthood you mentioned "holy order."

Awhile back we had another poster that used those same words. Perhaps you two know each other.

http://www.lds.net/forums/christian-beliefs-board/16515-q-bro-kristoffer.html

Nope, I just use the words found in the Book of Mormon and the term used by many people who have beliefs based on the experience of Joseph Smith.

That's too bad. You two live so close to each other. Your IP is coming from Portland, Oregon and his IP was from Vancouver, Washington. And that is what? Just across the Columbia River from each other?

It's a shame that two people with such similar interests couldn't hook up.

That's too bad. You two live so close to each other. Your IP is coming from Portland, Oregon and his IP was from Vancouver, Washington. And that is what? Just across the Columbia River from each other?

It's a shame that two people with such similar interests couldn't hook up.

Wow, he is that close? That would be cool to have lunch with him sometime. Does he still visit here once in a while?

Welcome BoMLo. Just be cool and dont argue too much, agree to disagree in things that dont seem to find the same keynote... and dont post any degeratory stuff= things to make the weeker people her to doubt their faith. Too much pushing of some other religions proideas and opinions (except in the part of: other religions forum) or negative thoughts about LDS is not healty, we discuss LDS here. Pointing out things from our religion, things that God has not revieled reason to yet, is of no use, as we have no answer only faith.... which is the cornerstone of all religions anyway... faith.

Use the search engin... if you can figure out how it workd... I have not been able to do that... :rolleyes: If you have any questions ... sometime it gets tiering to answer the same questions over and over again... btw. keep them as questions not accusitions.

And dont forget to pay me :D

Great to have you with us. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Pam I thought Vancouver is in BC Canada.... my sisters live there...:eek:

Welcome BoMLo. Just be cool and dont argue too much, agree to disagree in things that dont seem to find the same keynote... and dont post any degeratory stuff= things to make the weeker people her to doubt their faith. Too much pushing of some other religions proideas and opinions (except in the part of: other religions forum) or negative thoughts about LDS is not healty, we discuss LDS here. Pointing out things from our religion, things that God has not revieled reason to yet, is of no use, as we have no answer only faith.... which is the cornerstone of all religions anyway... faith.

Use the search engin... if you can figure out how it workd... I have not been able to do that... :rolleyes: If you have any questions ... sometime it gets tiering to answer the same questions over and over again... btw. keep them as questions not accusitions.

And dont forget to pay me :D

Great to have you with us. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Do you do PayPal? :lol:

Okay...gotta ask...if I were convinced the BoM was scripture, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, then I would also have to believe he restored THE church. If so, wouldn't I almost have to become an investigator of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or one of its off-shoots? And yet, you, and a a few others who have visited here (one a Baptist minister, btw) do not do that. My question, as a non-LDS person, is why? Why not join up?

I guess "Restorationist Christian" would best describe me.

LOL, I've certainly heard of that -- as a broad spectrum movement, not a denomination.

The Restoration Movement contains The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and all break-off groups from it, The Disciples of Christ, The Church of Christ (Campbellite), The Jehovah's Witnesses, the Seventh Day Adventists and others.

The entire premise of the Restoration Christian Movement was to recreate the Church that existed in the times of the Apostles. It is a separate concept from the Protestant Reformation and Puritanism who only wished to reform the existing Church to look and act more like the Church in the days of the Apostles.

The Restoration Movement is an acknowledgement that it has to be built over again. The other branches of the Restoration Movement sought to use the Bible as their blueprint for recreating the True Church. The Latter Day Saint movement (encompassing us and all splinter groups that came from us) are the only Restorationist group that claims a restoration of modern day revelation, an open scriptural canon, and living Apostles and Prophets of equal standing with those in New Testament times. But we do fit within the overall movement because we are a movement believing that the Church and Kingdom of God needed to be recreated.

I'm curious at our new friends denominational affiliation, if he has any at all.

Anyways, welcome!

Maya, Vancouver is in both Washington and in Canada. I have a friend in Bellingham. I think that's right on the border too.

Vancouver, Washington is about as far south in WA as you can go. It is, as Pam said, right across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Vancouver, British Columbia is quite a bit farther north in Canada, where the Olympics were held earlier this year. Bellingham is much closer to Vancouver, BC than it is to Vancouver, WA.

Okay...gotta ask...if I were convinced the BoM was scripture, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, then I would also have to believe he restored THE church. If so, wouldn't I almost have to become an investigator of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or one of its off-shoots? And yet, you, and a a few others who have visited here (one a Baptist minister, btw) do not do that. My question, as a non-LDS person, is why? Why not join up?

If the people who have visited here before have had experiences similar to mine, they have looked into the LDS Church (it was probably their first contact with the Book of Mormon). And after having looked into concluded that it teachings don't align with what they see in the Book of Mormon and Bible, so they seek out other options.

I suppose your question would be similar to asking a Bible-Only Christian why they are not Catholic since it was originally the Catholic church that brought forth the Bible in its current form.

If the people who have visited here before have had experiences similar to mine, they have looked into the LDS Church (it was probably their first contact with the Book of Mormon). And after having looked into concluded that it teachings don't align with what they see in the Book of Mormon and Bible, so they seek out other options.

I suppose your question would be similar to asking a Bible-Only Christian why they are not Catholic since it was originally the Catholic church that brought forth the Bible in its current form.

So the smart money is on Community of Christ, with the Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) being the next most likely. Strangite and Hedrickite branches are also possible but they seem less likely in my mind due to their size. FLDS would seem like the least likely based upon what has been said so far, but it's still possible.

Sorry, can't help but guess. You don't have to say if you don't want to. There are many other break-off groups.

Feel free to post your concerns about our denomination's failure to abide by the teachings of the Book of Mormon -- respectfully of course (we get a lot of haters and people can jump to conclusions because of that). I'd be very interested in that discussion.

Edited by Faded

So the smart money is on Community of Christ, with the Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) being the next most likely. Strangite and Hedrickite branches are also possible but they seem less likely in my mind due to their size. FLDS would seem like the least likely based upon what has been said so far, but it's still possible.

Sorry, can't help but guess. You don't have to say if you don't want to. There are many other break-off groups.

Feel free to post your concerns about our denomination's failure to abide by the teachings of the Book of Mormon -- respectfully of course. I'd be very interested in that discussion.

Like I stated earlier, I consider all members of the various Restoration (Book of Mormon believing) churches my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ. I don't have any specific denominational affiliation, I am just a follower of Jesus Christ.

I am not here to bash your church. Like I said, I feel one of the tasks given to me is to build bridges of understanding and fellowship between the members of the various Restoration churches.

Catholic...or Lutheran...or Presbyterian...or Baptist...or, etc.? I did mention the off-shoots. To broaden my question, do you suppose God's purpose with the BoM and Joseph Smith's life was something other than establishing a single restored Christian church? If so, what key element do you see God wanting to restore.

(BTW, in some sense, I suppose my church is also restorationist, in that our pioneers saw experiences in the book of Acts that seemed to have died off for no good reason)...

Catholic...or Lutheran...or Presbyterian...or Baptist...or, etc.? I did mention the off-shoots. To broaden my question, do you suppose God's purpose with the BoM and Joseph Smith's life was something other than establishing a single restored Christian church? If so, what key element do you see God wanting to restore.

(BTW, in some sense, I suppose my church is also restorationist, in that our pioneers saw experiences in the book of Acts that seemed to have died off for no good reason)...

I believe the main mission of the life of Joseph Smith was to bring forth the Book of Mormon and restore the authority to baptize. I believe the Book of Mormon is the hidden treasure, the pearl of great price, of the Restoration. It restores proper knowledge of the Gospel and Doctrine of Jesus Christ and confounds the false doctrines floating around in Catholic and Protestant Christianity.