I'm a Mormon on Facebook

or Friendster or Twitter or whatever...

A friend of mine started the I'm a Mormon trend. She wrote something like "I'm a mother, a Scouts leader, a substitute elementary school teacher. I like to read,... <can't remember everything she wrote>, and I'm a Mormon." as her facebook status.

So, we all followed suit! Thought it was a great idea.

I am on FB and recently started Twittering around. I'm up to 48 tweets. I'll never catch my wife. She has well over 32000 tweets, follows 1250 and has 1400 followers.

What does a person "twitter" about? I guess I don't understand how it goes. I was thinking it was some kind of step by step journal about what you're doing at the moment. I don't know if I want that kind of visibility into my life. Maybe I've got this thing wrong. What is the purpose of a twitter?

What does a person "twitter" about? I guess I don't understand how it goes. I was thinking it was some kind of step by step journal about what you're doing at the moment. I don't know if I want that kind of visibility into my life. Maybe I've got this thing wrong. What is the purpose of a twitter?

Instant communication. You can use it however you want to use it.

For example, if you're a member of a band, you can establish a twitter account that can tell all the people in your "list", when and where you will be playing next.

Or, if you are a movie buff, you can establish a twitter account that can tell all the people in your list what your movie recommendation for the weekend is.

Or, if you're a teenager with nothing better to do, you can post a "tweet" every 5 minutes of what you are doing at that particular moment.

Whatever you want, man. That's the internet. :D

A lot of people say twitter is about telling everyone what you are doing, even though 99% of the time no-one else is interested in what others are doing. Another less stated use of twitter is the ability to communicate directly with people that you'd otherwise never be able to talk directly to.

Many celebrities, well known people and medium to large companies use twitter. Some of them get a representative to post on their behalf, but most actually post and reply to messages they get themselves. For instance, I follow Adam Savage (donttrythis), who is one of the hosts of mythbusters. He is one of the many celebrities who uses twitter to communicate and received feedback directly from his viewers. He will also respond to most questions unless they are silly. Stephen Fry is another one who will do this. Without twitter, there would be no way they would ever directly see the questions and feedback they get from their fans and viewers, instead a representative would most likely get them.

It's also a useful way to ask questions and give feedback to companies. I informed a large company recently of their website being down on twitter, and they responded giving me a reason and an apology within a couple of hours.

There isn't one. Though, if you're astonished at miztrniceguy's wife's numbers, bear in mind that she is a published author.

I have a Twitter account, but the only reason I do is so that when I'm reading a blog that is offering a product giveaway, and they offer extra entries if you tweet about it, I can. Not that that spreads their publicity at all, since pretty much no one follows me.