Scrapbooking The Past

mom_of_jcchlsm

I have mounds of genealogy - photos, charts, newspaper clippings - the works. It currently resides in two very full drawers and a box in the living room (as well as on the computer). I have big charts on the wall (extending down the hallway!). I want my kids to know and love these people. When I'm feeding my baby I recite his lineage to him. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a genealogy scrapbook. I'm thinking something that will make learning about ancestors more interesting and easier for kids - really accessible and fun. Something to look through at bed time or maybe as a quiet book for Church (no originals - just copies of photos and documents!). Not too far back - maybe only four or five generations. I am scrapbook-clueless, so it would need to be simple.

Ideas? How would you arrange it?

I have mounds of genealogy - photos, charts, newspaper clippings - the works. It currently resides in two very full drawers and a box in the living room (as well as on the computer). I have big charts on the wall (extending down the hallway!). I want my kids to know and love these people. When I'm feeding my baby I recite his lineage to him. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a genealogy scrapbook. I'm thinking something that will make learning about ancestors more interesting and easier for kids - really accessible and fun. Something to look through at bed time or maybe as a quiet book for Church (no originals - just copies of photos and documents!). Not too far back - maybe only four or five generations. I am scrapbook-clueless, so it would need to be simple.

Ideas? How would you arrange it?

I am a scrap booking junkie, i suggest to by a scrap book comp. program,(art explosion scrapbooking factory deluxe by nova devlopment wal-mart had them 9.99) It will let you put things in it on the comp. this way you can save it on your comp if it gets destroyed, make it simple while they are young as they get older add more to it, if you have a scanner and good printer this works very well, there is also perfect scrapbook maker also wal- mart but i find this one more complicated it is by cosmi you can also look on there web sites i found them them there but they were more exspensive, www.nova.development.com or www.cosmi.com

also you can get a loose leave folder and by the clear pages (avery) and just sick them in, just check the school isles this way it makes a nice book that wont get destroyed

I thought of stating another thread for this, but decided it overlaps enough with my last post here:

Ways I have sucessfully involved my kids in genealogy:

1. They know that at age 12, they will need some family names to take to the Temple to do baptisms. They have to do the research themselves and submit the disc and everything. I have conveniently forgotten to tell them that the Temple will provide names if they don't have any family names ready to go. Of course, they figure that out on their first trip to the Temple, but by then they already know how to do it.

2. I've made pedigree chart puzzles. Two kinds have worked -- a regular chart laminated and cut up and also a blank chart laminated with the names laminated seprately (put he names in the right spaces on the chart). It's important to make one for each child - they really like putting their own name on the chart! Somehow it totally loses its appeal if your sibling is person number one.

3. Family Tree shirts. For a reunion, we all wore matching T-shirts onto which we had drawn trees showing how we were related to others at the reunion.

4. We have an occassional FHE dedicated to an ancestor or ancestral family group.

5. For a long time we had a huge paper chain family tree extending back 5 generations. Each person was either dark or light pink or blue (showing gender and whether or not individual Temple ordinances were complete) and each family group was linked by either a black or white paper link (whether or not the family had been sealed). Whenever my husband and I went to the Temple, the kids helped us swap out links to show the progress we had made. But eventualy, all we had left were the dark and black links for living family members who were not Church members.

What ideas do you have?

With todays technology you should have it all put to DVD and then they can watch it on TV. Isn't that what most want anyway. Don't want to have to dig out those old things when we can watch them on tv.

Heather has a company that for a very reasonable cost you can have pictures, articles etc burned to a DVD with the music of your choice etc. A great way to preserve and share memories. You can see her company when you come to LDSTalk. DVD Memories or something like that.