Can Elder's Quorum President delegate this?

I have a friend who is EQP. He has counselors that don't help him too much. One of his ex-counselors who did help a a lot received a stake calling and was released. He asked that ex-counselor if he could still interview and receive reports from a his group of home teachers. One of the members said he doesn't have to report to this ex-counselor since he is not in the elders quorum presidency. I don't see anything wrong with my friend giving him this assignment. I looked in my manuals and couldn't find anything for or against it. I also don't think it's a big issue but my friend asked me if I thought it was ok. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

thanks for everyone's comments. I too feel I need to advise him to either train his counselors and see if they step up or ask for new ones. To clarify he didn't delegate the ppi's just the getting the couples together and seeing if they did their visits and motive if not. I do agree it's the presidency's responsibility though.

Edited by morjam401
update

I have a friend who is EQP. He has counselors that don't help him too much. One of his ex-counselors who did help a a lot received a stake calling and was released. He asked that ex-counselor if he could still interview and receive reports from a his group of home teachers. One of the members said he doesn't have to report to this ex-counselor since he is not in the elders quorum presidency. I don't see anything wrong with my friend giving him this assignment. I looked in my manuals and couldn't find anything for or against it. I also don't think it's a big issue but my friend asked me if I thought it was ok. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

The member is right. Unless the ex-counselor is a counselor or a district leader, he shouldn't be interviewing and receiving reports. Those tasks should remain with the people who are called to do them.

The member is right. Unless the ex-counselor is a counselor or a district leader, he shouldn't be interviewing and receiving reports. Those tasks should remain with the people who are called to do them.

Where does the idea of a district leader come from? I thought HT reporting was do be done to a Group or Quorum leader.

Where does the idea of a district leader come from? I thought HT reporting was do be done to a Group or Quorum leader.

You know, you're right, that's something I've become accustomed to in my ward. We have such a large active body of Melchizedek priesthood we have a district leader for each home teaching district to help the presidency gather up what they need for their reports in time. It also helps us have callings for everyone. But it's the presidency members that do the interviews.

But the decision was based on the fact that there is more work than the presidency can reasonably do, not that the presidency wasn't doing anything.

Guest mormonmusic

I don't see anything wrong with the former counselor taking on home teaching district supervisor responsibilities. However, he shouldn't be conducting PPI's, which are more personal regarding quorum member's lives etcetera. That belongs with the presidency.

However, I empathize with this person who feels short staffed, without necessarily supporting the idea that rank and file members do PPI's. One can ask for new counselors, or encourage others to serve better, but sometimes you just end up alone for long periods of time, and you try to do what you can to get the work done.

• 2 months later...

I don't see anything wrong with the former counselor taking on home teaching district supervisor responsibilities. However, he shouldn't be conducting PPI's, which are more personal regarding quorum member's lives etcetera. That belongs with the presidency.

He shouldn't be "interviewing" them, if we're talking about a PPI, or even a formal home teaching interview. However, inherent in getting home teaching reports as a district supervisor might be to ask a few questions (i.e., how the Smiths doing these days?).

Why wouldn't someone who is a "normal member" of the quorum be given the assignment of a district supervisor? Relief society does it all the time with their folks! In our quorum, it is me and my counselors, but if we wanted someone else to do it we can.

Why wouldn't someone who is a "normal member" of the quorum be given the assignment of a district supervisor? Relief society does it all the time with their folks!

For what it's worth, the new handbook has a clause about visiting teaching that says the reports can go to the Presidency or to assistants. No such assistants statement exists for the home teaching reports.

Edited by mordorbund

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, the new handbook has a clause about visiting teaching that says the reports can go to the Presidency or to assistants. No such assistants statement exists for the home teaching reports.

There is a lot of stuff spelled out in a lot of different places in the manual. There are a lot of generalities in the EQ section. Why? Priesthood keys. An EQ President has keys to use as he sees fit, including filling in the gaps in HT. If it isn't PROHIBITED in the church, then an EQ president can do what he needs to do. There are many RIGHT ways to do things. If everything about my calling had to be spelled out for me, then what good are the keys? Why have them if someone else is always going to be turning them for me?

There is a lot of stuff spelled out in a lot of different places in the manual. There are a lot of generalities in the EQ section. Why? Priesthood keys. An EQ President has keys to use as he sees fit, including filling in the gaps in HT. If it isn't PROHIBITED in the church, then an EQ president can do what he needs to do. There are many RIGHT ways to do things. If everything about my calling had to be spelled out for me, then what good are the keys? Why have them if someone else is always going to be turning them for me?

I agree that there are many right ways to do things. I think that's what the gift to know the differences of administration is all about. I would like to point out that assigning "District Leaders" to collect HT reports is not a standard practice, as in it is not a help or calling outlined in a Church publication. (It is something of a standard practice in the sense that many quorums seem to employ it when they reach an unmanageable size). There are other options available worth discussing with your (generic your) counselors and your Stake President (as your priesthood leader).

- Receive reports quarterly, since that's how often the Church wants numbers (of course this means you have to be nailing periodic HTI in between so your still clued in to quorum health).

- Split your quorum. There can be up to 96 Elders in a quorum, but nowhere does it say that a quorum must be full before it can be split (look at the quorums of the 70 for an example of this).

- Delegate beyond your counselors. This has the obvious failing that your getting information third hand and that it can only really work as long as there is nothing confidential to be shared.

My point wasn't to tell you (specific you here) that you are doing it wrong or that you shouldn't delegate, but that there is a general assumption that standard solution for the HT reports seem to be delegation, when that isn't really a set standard at all.

• 2 months later...

When I served as an EQP a few years ago I found this was a means to help me, and at the same time help some of the Elders who were struggling with their own H.T. When they were given part of the resposibility of getting reports each month, they seemd to realize they needed to step up their own H.T. efforts.

It didn't work in every case, but di in quite a few. My Bishop and S.P. were very supportive in this plan.

• 1 month later...

i believe that if you found your delegation threw divine inspiration, then it is right and of god the hand book is a guideline which has been prepared by leaders through prayer and revelation, yet we need to access the spirit, as to how and what order we may, or may not do things. also it has always been a great experience when a president of a quorum has prayed about a specific duty and every member of that quorum kneels in prayer to see if they receive conformation of his/her truth, or an ability to sustain there president threw that united prayer.

random thoughts for my first post

my pic makes me look bad how do you change photo's lol

Edited by kingi

Here's the bottom line. At the end of the month get your home teaching and visiting teaching reports entered into MLS. It is usually the secretaries job to do the data entry. Don't try to over complicate the process.

Is it still? Our Ward Clerk and Bishopric said last year or perhaps even later that secretaries were no longer allowed access to MLS and the Membership or Ward Clerk now have to do the data entry.

Our EQ President does not even have access to MLS anymore.

Here's the bottom line. At the end of the month get your home teaching and visiting teaching reports entered into MLS. It is usually the secretaries job to do the data entry. Don't try to over complicate the process.

Not entirely necessary, as the data doesn't go anywhere. So if it isn't entered into MLS at the end of the month (say, for example, it gets entered on the third Sunday of the following month), it really isn't the end of the world. A three week lag in reports isn't really terrible. The major exception is the quarterly report, but even then, it doesn't have to be entered into MLS as long as the clerk (or assistant) has the necessary numbers.

Mostly, it's a matter of what your local leaders expect of you.

Is it still? Our Ward Clerk and Bishopric said last year or perhaps even later that secretaries were no longer allowed access to MLS and the Membership or Ward Clerk now have to do the data entry.

Our EQ President does not even have access to MLS anymore.

That's a local decision. Church policy is that ward leaders who need access to MLS should have it. Read more here.

I really think this issue needs to be addressed in your ward. Church HQ has put this access permission in place for a reason. I suggest you talk to the stake clerk. Also don't be afraid of the line of authority on the local level, if after you have addressed with the Bishopric and the Ward Clerk. You have the right to talk to the stake clerk. If the Bishop direction is wrong it needs correcting. That is why they have Bishopric training meetings and PPI's. There has to be a REALLY good reason why they feel this way. But cutting people off so they can not manage their organization is very poor leadership.

Don't forget the website of tech.lds.org and clerk.lds.org Lots of helpful info there.

As a side note I have been a clerk going on eight years ..so I am getting old and cranking too. :) :)

When I was called to be the ward clerk, I ask the previous clerk how long he has been serving. He reply was since I was sixteen. He was in his mid eighties then. So never complain about being stuck in a call. Think of it 68 years in a calling ...whew!!!

Edited by WardClerk

I really think this issue needs to be addressed in your ward. Church HQ has put this access permission in place for a reason. I suggest you talk to the stake clerk. Also don't be afraid of the line of authority on the local level, if after you have addressed with the Bishopric and the Ward Clerk. You have the right to talk to the stake clerk. If the Bishop direction is wrong it needs correcting. That is why they have Bishopric training meetings and PPI's. There has to be a REALLY good reason why they feel this way. But cutting people off so they can not manage their organization is very poor leadership.

Don't forget the website of tech.lds.org and clerk.lds.org Lots of helpful info there.

As a side note I have been a clerk going on eight years ..so I am getting old and cranking too. :) :)

When I was called to be the ward clerk, I ask the previous clerk how long he has been serving. He reply was since I was sixteen. He was in his mid eighties then. So never complain about being stuck in a call. Think of it 68 years in a calling ...whew!!!

Well, I'd bring it up, but if the bishop were insistent that auxiliary leaders not have access, I'd leave it at that. Usually, such matters are an issue of a bishop thinking he knows the general policy when in fact his understanding is a little off. Just show him the policy that indicates that it's up to him who has access to MLS and make your case that it would be beneficial if the auxiliary leaders did have access.

If he still resists, I wouldn't recommend going over his head on it. It's usually better not to have stake leaders telling ward leaders how to run things.