How Much is Too Much Info on the Internet?

slamjet

I'm seriously thinking of starting a blog kind of thing (I already have the domain name) about what I had to go through to get to where I'm at. I've found that there are so few internet sited talking about a Mormon with huge experiences with sexual addictions. Someone (a famous author) told me that I have a story that a lot of people would want to hear.

So I thought I'd start up a web site, but I've become a bit shy about being so out there with my story.

Would you do it? Any thoughts?

First, decide how you would feel about a visit from 4chan. Then, think about how to maintain anonyminity.

Every time i read your name my mind reads grandpa so i figured you where too old to know 4chan. Then i saw your profile.:)

Op. Any pics you put on a blog can be copied and chopped into anything so i wouldn't have them, Stories with false names, provided they don't reveal too much personal identifying info, seem to be ok.

Yep, programmer, web guy. Immersed in tech, all that. I'm not involved in 4chan, and tend to avoid links there as well. Basically if you don't want the worst the Internet has to offer knocking on your front door (literally) put no personally identifiable information on, unless you reach internet celebrity status.

@hordak, somehow I thought you'd be older. I don't know if that's a compliment or not.

Don't divulge anything you wouldn't divulge on Testimony sunday. If you're not comfortable opening up to people you know, you shouldn't open up to people you don't know. Anonymity is not a guarantee.

Yep, programmer, web guy. Immersed in tech, all that. I'm not involved in 4chan, and tend to avoid links there as well. Basically if you don't want the worst the Internet has to offer knocking on your front door (literally) put no personally identifiable information on, unless you reach internet celebrity status.

@hordak, somehow I thought you'd be older. I don't know if that's a compliment or not.

Since this is the internet it must be going off my maturity so i'll take it as one. Had we met in person and you were referring to the white in my beard...:mad:;):)

What beard? You've got the bony outfit, your whole face is white, creepy red eyes, and those fishy ears and blue mohawk thing going on. I don't see a beard in your picture.

OP, what are your new thoughts? Some people put out their real name, like the cakewrecks lady, some use just a real first name, no, or fake last name... or a completely fictional identity. It may be a healthy endeavour, but perhaps you should get it peer-reviewed before publishing.

How would you feel if a current or future employer read these things about you - and knew it was about you?

Anonymity is NOT a guarantee. Once published, it is there for anyone to view, read, copy, paste, save & archive.

Yes, it's a great idea, but you need to consider ALL the possible ramifications.

Let me add something here: Down at the bottom of the main forum pages you will see this:

Currently Active Users: 99 (13 members and 86 guests)

I go through this quite often on the guests. Right now I would guess 3/4 of the "guests" are search bots. Many of the posts from lds.net end up on google because they are looking for key words etc.

If you don't mind someone discovering who you are then go for it. If you do, then do not. It's not really hard finding out who is behind the blog.

I dont know about that. Aside from intervention from law enforcement, you can keep yourself pretty anonymous online, providing you are intending to stay completely anonymous with everything you say (and bear that fact in mind with everything you write). I read a blog every now and then by someone who does a similar job to myself. Whoever it is has taken large steps to keep his true identity anonymous, he reveals nothing anywhere on his blog about where he might work, where he lives, what his name is etc, or names (or other specifics) of anyone he talks about. The only information that is obvious (due to the nature of his blog) is that he works as a network manager in a school somewhere in the united kingdom. Because he is anonymous, he can publically speak his mind a lot more about the place he works in than most other people. There is also nothing illegal on his blog, so therefore law enforcement have no reason to find out who he actually is.

So it is possible, but what others have said on this threads remains valid. If you accidently say something which reveals your identity, you have to be prepared for people to read through your entire blog with the knowledge of who actually wrote it.

(Oh, and of course, he will never add to the blog using equipment from work, or in working hours. This helps to keep him anonymous)

Edited by Mahone

A job that I interviewed for several months ago had a requirement as part of the background check that we had to divulge any social networks, etc we participated in.

I've heard of worse, where they have actually asked for credentials used to access said social networking sites (due to increased privacy controls stopping employers snooping on you without being on your friends list). A contact of mine had this happen to them. I think employers who ask for these details are standing on very dodgy legal ground, and I myself would point blankly refuse to submit any such details to any potential employers. If your privacy controls are set correctly to the point that the employers cannot access it without logging in as you, then it isn't public domain information and they can't use it against you (unless it's illegal).

Edited by Mahone

If you have your blog hosted on your own domain, people can find out who owns that domain by doing a whois search, I believe. I do think you can set it up when you register your domain name that the information is private, for an additional fee.

This isn't exactly well regulated either. It's very easy to put fake information in when registering the domain. As long as you are somehow contactable, you are complying with the rules.

This isn't exactly well regulated either. It's very easy to put fake information in when registering the domain. As long as you are somehow contactable, you are complying with the rules.

Oh. I didn't know that. I know it's been a long time since I've had my own domain and someone found where I lived doing that! Luckily, it was because he was concerned for my well-being and had the police do a wellness check on me and not that he was a stalker.

On the domain name registration, if you have a 3rd party do the registration then you can keep that information secret. Although, all it takes is a photograph and a reason and someone with enough time and resources can find you. If you offend certain hacker communities, you will be found within days.