Do you favor LDS businesses?

prisonchaplain

Perhaps you've heard of the Christian Yellow Pages. You've likely seen the ever-present fish symbols on some businesses. Personally, if I knew of such,I might give a slight nod...but not much. I still tend to go for the best deal and the best reputation. As one example, the book How Wide the Divide: A Mormon and an Evangelical in Conversation is available at deseretbooks.com, christianbook.com, and at amazon.com. It just so happens that amazon is cheapest, so I buy it from them. I've also had good experiences with amazon. I also use christianbook.com from time to time, but have never felt guilty for passing them by for a better deal with a "secular" vendor.

To broaden (and narrow) the discussion--what of businesses run by members of your ward? On the one hand, you'd hope for good service and best offer, because you are spiritually connected. On the other, if you get poor service, might that make for an awkward relationship? We've sometimes decided against using someone in our church, just to avoid any potential problems.

To broaden (and narrow) the discussion--what of businesses run by members of your ward? On the one hand, you'd hope for good service and best offer, because you are spiritually connected. On the other, if you get poor service, might that make for an awkward relationship? We've sometimes decided against using someone in our church, just to avoid any potential problems.

It also depends on what you mean by "business" -- cutting hair out of one's home? Or an actual brick-and-mortar business?

One LDS business I have used in the past was Franklin Covey. They're a big chain, personal organizational store that have tools that (I believe) help someone to live a more gospel centered life.

(If you didn't know it, Dr. Stephen R. Covey is LDS and the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is basically how to live the gospel in a corporate world.)

I have a member in my ward who owns a Chick Fil'A restaurant. I don't go there because I don't like the food. It has nothing to do with the member. I like the fact that the entire chain is closed on Sundays, but I still don't like the food.

Most of the members of the wards I have been in have been professionals, versus being business owners. More doctors, attorneys, CEO/CFO type people than business owners.

There was one LDS person that I refused to go see. Not because he was LDS. It was because he was my Bishop at the time and lived across the street from me.. He was an ob/gyn by profession. A very good one too word of mouth who was also on my health insurance plan. He already knew a lot of personal things about me. But that was being a little TOO personal and I felt would be really awkward.

The truth is I do NOT make any business deals with people who I know are LDS. Sorry, but I had TERRIBLE experiences, from people trying to rip me off to people NOT wanting to pay "because we are brothers and sisters in the Gospel". After quite a few experiences I decided NOT to make business deals with members.

"because we are brothers and sisters in the Gospel

Sad that they use this as an excuse. But I have heard that said from other members as well that have had the same experience.

I was thinking more "brick & mortor." However, Pam's comment about the OB GYN was sort of what I was after too. There's an irony, but when dealing with brothers and sisters in the faith, I not only don't want to be disappointed, but I also don't want to jeapordize the more important spiritual community for matters of daily bread. This issue is indeed 6000+ years old. Moses had to command the people about using honest weights and not moving land markers. Paul scolded the Corinithians for taking out civil lawsuits against one another.

BTW, one of the common myths about LDS is that you tend to shop within. Sounds like that doesn't have much basis in reality...at least not anymore than any other group...

The truth is I do NOT make any business deals with people who I know are LDS. Sorry, but I had TERRIBLE experiences, from people trying to rip me off to people NOT wanting to pay "because we are brothers and sisters in the Gospel". After quite a few experiences I decided NOT to make business deals with members.

I've had the same experience--bishop told me a good sister in our ward was in a pickle, and would I see what I could do? $750 of free advice and labor, multiple late-night phone calls and missed Church classes, and one overturned traffic conviction later, she began demanding that I sue her insurance company (even though they hadn't done anything to financially harm her) and another lawyer (who, unlike myself, had previously managed to collect a fee from her which she had now decided he didn't really "earn") on her behalf (gratis, of course). I flat-out told her "no", which earned me a complaint to her home teachers and, ultimately, the bishop (he backed me up, bless him).

Recently I posted a link to this video on my Facebook page, and it's had an appreciable impact on the requests for free advice. (I'm happy to help out a friend in need; it's the sense of entitlement on some people's parts that really bugs me.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I even try really hard not to ask too many questions of people just because of the profession they are in. Well except my brother in law of course and I've asked JAG a few general questions. But I just don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of someone just because of friendship or church affiliation. Whether or not they are LDS.

I don't favor LDS business but if I have the chance to, I might go to somebody I know from my ward or stake because of that relationship. I don't see that as favoring the LDS business but favoring the person because of our relationship.

Another account to take into affect is I won't generally return if they aren't honest in their everyday doings with their fellow man.

Guest mirancs8

I like to support LDS small businesses. But I rely much of word of mouth from those who have worked with those businesses whether LDS or not. Quality of service is what is important to me.

I did have a very bad experience with an LDS attorney but it was partly my fault because I didn't do enough research. It was an impulsive and emotional move when I hired him. Not my typical way of hiring someone, I tend to do a little to much research. I knew him but wasn't familiar with his reputation as an attorney. This poor judgement cost me much money and it was a big lesson learned for me. Yeah, it got ugly too. I had an all out confrontation with him outside his house. Voices raised and in each others faces... it was bad. Part of me was mad at him but another part of me was mad at myself for allowing it to get so out of control. The experience though upsetting I haven't let it taint my view of doing business with LDS in the future.

I have had great success with using LDS insurance agents that I've met in various wards. Without exception they have lived up to the reputation you'd expect from a Church member. Of course I realize that others may have had different experiences, but I've yet to have a bad one. In my prior ward, the only doctors we had were both ER docs, so I declined to use their services :)

This will sound horrible but I'll say it anyway. Through the years I've worked with Christians and then when I became a Christian and the new people I started working with found out I became a Christian, many (not all) would not pay their debt owed. It's a sad example in my book. :( My church is doing a building project and we just had somebody come look at the job site from SLC. It's called Peachtree and the head guy there is LDS.

I tend to do business with people by their reputation, not by their faith. Here, there are not that many LDS owned businesses (at least that I am aware of). Lots of doctors,dentists, or contractors and people working for large companies like Cerner or the like. My contractor is a member, but he has a great reputation and did a great job on a bathroom remodel and our gutters, now doing our porch

Was he looking at windows and doors? I know the company called Peachtree that does this.

Well we had some kids (we think) do a lot of damage by breaking out all of our windows to our new church building. We have two more sections to construct and are looking for a lender. We found them, they seem on top of things and so we are looking at them as an option. :) We'll see what God has planned. :)

I go to a sister in our ward who cuts hair. She has a salon, so no, I don't go to her house. And I expect to pay full price even if she always gives me a discount. She's GOOD. I recommended her to a friend who is not LDS and she is a regular there now too.

I don't really use being LDS as a reason to favor a particular business. I do favor people I know who are honest, hard-working, reliable, etc... and I find that there are several in our ward who are such, who own businesses, so I favor them over people who I don't know.

When I go frequent a business, I don't care to know whether they are LDS, Christian, Muslim, Catholic, Etc. I've been ripped off and/or treated badly by all. But I've also been treated very good and/or had good experiences by all. So while I can see the value in a Christian yellow book, that by no means guarantees a good experience. I go by word-of-mouth, reviews and personal experience. I can assure you that if I get better customer service by a non-Christian business person vs a Christian business person, even if it costs a bit more, I'm going with the better experience.

Bottom line, its a matter of personal character, not affiliation that wins the day.

When I go shopping for books (the only thing I 'shop' for as opposed to simple go buy) I always go straight to DeseretBook.com, once I've decided on a book to get, I Google it and get it from the cheapest online store, often Barnes and Noble. I also favor FranklinCovey for a time management system and leadership books. I was introduced to that brand by a non-member well before I discovered that Stephen Covey was LDS, and reading though 7 Habits and the little guide that came with the planner, I felt the 'rightness' of the ideas he presents.

As for any other shopping I do or services I use, I have no idea who owns what.

We have a family of plumbers. We will go to them first, but not because they are LDS, we know them, and they have done good honest work for us in the past.

I wouldn't go with someone just because they are LDS. There are some areas, such as a lawyer, where I would NOT want someone who is LDS to do the work.

My attitudes have been shaped by my ancestry. My great grandfather was the secretary (CEO) of the United Order in Brigham City. I believe that we, by covenant, should encourage, sustain and support the labors (and businesses) of our covenant brothers and sisters.

I have no more regrets in doing this than in paying tithing and fast offerings.

The Traveler