Mre

Ruck

So my wife and I are getting ready to start putting together 72 hours kits and food storage in case of 72+ hours of disaster. I have a buddy who is retired military and told me he could get us some MRE from one of the Army bases.

Is this a good method to maybe start the food storage or maybe just for a 72 hour kit. My wife and I have been talking about going to the Distribution Center and getting their starter kit and building from there with the cannery and bishop storehouse. Any opinions or in sight?

MRE's are made for someone on the go like the military in the field. There compact, and even have the ability to warm themselves. You can buy them with the warming jacket or without, and there pre-cooked so you can eat them cold. There pretty pricey, so only think of supplying your (GOOD) pack our your emergency pack in your car. I live in Wyoming so we carry an emergency pack with water and MRE's, along with other stuff just in case we get stranded in a blizzard.

Try them first and see if you like them.

Another thing, don't take them out of their cardboard cartons. I did to save space in my kit and something poked one open and made an awful mess.

We didn't care for them as much as the dehydrated pouches so we now pack the Mountain House 1 serving pouches in our kits and our food storage... though rotation isn't a problem, but restocking them monthly is ha ha.

MRE's are great for short term preparedness. They can be a bit bulkier than other things, but I think they are well worth it. We need to put ours back together, but the last set we did were protein heavy, considering that for us, the 72 hour kit is to get out of the area by whatever means, and the year's supply is for staying put.

The Church's 30 day kits are not for emergency kits. You won't easily be able to make foods from basic stuffs out of number 10 cans, while on the move.

MREs are easy to obtain from many food storage places online, so you don't have to steal them from the local military base. Although some bases do offer them for sale in the commissary.

I agree with what many others have said. Try some and find the ones you like best. I like most of them that I have tried. They are excellent for 72 hr kit and also for long term storage.

I use them for both. Sure I have all the other things for food storage for two for over a year. MREs are also good for backpacking.

Ben Raines

I agree with every one. I like the "full version" MRE's for my 72 hr kits as they contain a drink (read carefully as some have coffee) a desert and usually a spice pack. I agree with Ben that you have to try some to see what you really like. Also be creative....if you get one that does contain scoffee use the creamer pack in with your dessert if you got a fruit base one and save the sugar packet to use later and so forth.