Scientists find evidence of large Amazonian civilizations

bl8tant

The entire foundation for debunking the Book of Mormon comes from archaeology. The trouble is, the archaeology of North and South America just isn't cooperating with things. They keep discovering the remains of bigger and bigger civilizations in unexpected places. They keep discovering that long held assumptions about pretty much everything end up being proven wrong.

When the Book of Mormon was published, there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 44 things that were referenced that archaeologists "knew for a fact" didn't exist in the Ancient Americas. Of those 44 items, well over half of them (and counting) have since been proven by archaeology to have existed in the Ancient Americas.

Archeology, ad history are such a closed worl to anyone but the "academics" it is hard to get alternate theories "out there". Thor Hyerdahl showed that South American natives could settle Pacific Islands, and Middle Eastern cultures could sail to America (Rah and Rah II). But, the Ivory Towers keep clinging to there country club beliefs.

My favorite thing to ask critics of my faith: "So, suppose tomorrow morning you turn on the TV and see that non-LDS archaeologists have discovered Zarahemla, DNA markers in extinct Central American populations linked to folks in Israel, the sword of Laban, a sort of "rosetta stone" for an extinct written language coming out of ancient Egyptian, and mounds of evidence pointing to a bearded resurrected savior visiting people in the Americas. If this happened, would you bend your knee, profess Christ as your savior, and be baptized into the LDS church?"

As of last count, the score is somewhere around 50/50. Half the critics I pose this question to say yes, they would move in that direction. The other half pretty much refuse to answer, or refuse to budge in their beliefs that Mormons are wrong.

My favorite thing to ask critics of my faith: "So, suppose tomorrow morning you turn on the TV and see that non-LDS archaeologists have discovered Zarahemla, DNA markers in extinct Central American populations linked to folks in Israel, the sword of Laban, a sort of "rosetta stone" for an extinct written language coming out of ancient Egyptian, and mounds of evidence pointing to a bearded resurrected savior visiting people in the Americas. If this happened, would you bend your knee, profess Christ as your savior, and be baptized into the LDS church?"

As of last count, the score is somewhere around 50/50. Half the critics I pose this question to say yes, they would move in that direction. The other half pretty much refuse to answer, or refuse to budge in their beliefs that Mormons are wrong.

Ah but which one?:conscience:

According to Wikipedia there is about 40 "LDS" churches still in existence:p

(I have found most opposition to the church comes from our "peculiar" doctrine that comes from revelation, though many attack it's authenticity as it is the cornerstone, it doesn't have much to attack as it lines up with Bible based Christianity for the most part)

On the topic i think finding archeological "proof" for the Book of Mormon is a bit presumptuous without an OFFICIAL revealed location.

"We" wouldn't be the first to find "proof" of our pet Book of Mormon location...

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=220749966444&id=5ea02919df495c751dc4508a70aa73ad&index=ch1

...only to have it "blow up" in our face.