Why not another gun thread? Revolvers.

Dravin

So having recently whetted my appetite (for shooting) by purchasing a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 I've been eying revolvers. There are some surplus pistols out there (9x18) but the simpler mechanics of a revolver attract me, that and it appears that you can get a longer barrel more easily with a revolver than you can a semi-auto pistol. My purpose would be recreational and gaining proficiency, and I've been eying .357 Magnum, there is a testosterone component at play but I do kinda like that idea that I could, if I so wanted, hunt deer with it (though my odds of actually being able to get in range would be pretty dismal, I'm not a stealthy guy) but that isn't the primary purpose of it. I like the .357 for the power and the ability for them to fire .38, gives me the opportunity to possibly take advantage of cheaper ammo and be able to fire a more recoil friendly round. I've not looked into some of the other options such as .41 or .44 Mag (and a few others) one because I don't have quite that much testosterone and the ammo is more expensive. Though if I found a good deal I could probably be convinced for a different caliber.

Anyway I've been eying the Rossi and the Taurus (my understanding is they are to some degree the same company just different quality tiers?) .357 6" barrels (8 inch would be better but those are expensive). A S&W would be nice but is out of my price range. Any thoughts on the guns I'm eying? Suggestions for when it rains money and I can buy one?

Anyway, this thread would be a good place to brag about the revolver (or any gun really) you own. Also, let's not turn this thread into the appropriateness of owning firearms for various purposes, let's just enjoy the delightful smell of burnt powder. :D

Edited by Dravin

So having recently whetted my appetite (for shooting) by purchasing a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 I've been eying revolvers. There are some surplus pistols out there (9x18) but the simpler mechanics of a revolver attract me, that and it appears that you can get a longer barrel more easily with a revolver than you can a semi-auto pistol. My purpose would be recreational and gaining proficiency, and I've been eying .357 Magnum, there is a testosterone component at play but I do kinda like that idea that I could, if I so wanted, hunt deer with it (though my odds of actually being able to get in range would be pretty dismal, I'm not a stealthy guy) but that isn't the primary purpose of it. I like the .357 for the power and the ability for them to fire .38, gives me the opportunity to possibly take advantage of cheaper ammo and be able to fire a more recoil friendly round. I've not looked into some of the other options such as .41 or .44 Mag (and a few others) one because I don't have quite that much testosterone and the ammo is more expensive. Though if I found a good deal I could probably be convinced for a different caliber.

Anyway I've been eying the Rossi and the Taurus (my understanding is they are to some degree the same company just different quality tiers?) .357 6" barrels (8 inch would be better but those are expensive). A S&W would be nice but is out of my price range. Any thoughts on the guns I'm eying? Suggestions for when it rains money and I can buy one?

Anyway, this thread would be a good place to brag about the revolver (or any gun really) you own. Also, let's not turn this thread into the appropriateness of owning firearms for various purposes, let's just enjoy the delightful smell of burnt powder. :D

stick with the good 'ol colt single action .45...if it could win the west, it can give you plenty of hours of pleasure my friend. :D

Posted Image

Anyway I've been eying the Rossi and the Taurus

the taurus judge is a mighty respectable gun. i personally do not trust my own safety (and do not carry concealed) a revolver, but i take a lot of pleasure in shooting them. besides...as they say...if you can't get the job done with 6 or 8 bullets, then you can never get the job done. :lol:

i was just saying the other day to my wife that there are few greater smells than that of burnt gun powder.

i am a glock man myself, although i recognize the greatness of other manufacturers. i would like to own a sig...but alas i am not gifted with great quantities of money. i still trust my life to my glock.

the taurus judge is a mighty respectable gun. i personally do not trust my own safety (and do not carry concealed) a revolver, but i take a lot of pleasure in shooting them. besides...as they say...if you can't get the job done with 6 or 8 bullets, then you can never get the job done. :lol:

Well concealed carry isn't an issue for me, but I've actually been looking at the Tracker not the Judge. This baby: Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I've been able to find them online (I know, I'd have to get it shipped to a dealer) for under $500 in one case, though $550 seems more normal. Though I just found (from providing the link the Model 608 with an 8 3/8" Barrel [ Taurus International Manufacturing Inc ] online for a similar price range). Thing is before I bought anything I'd have to handle it some first. Luckily I've decent sized hands, not sure if they're decent enough for a large frame revolver though.

i was just saying the other day to my wife that there are few greater smells than that of burnt gun powder.

After shooting my 91/30 the other day I caught myself sniffing the spent casings. :D

i am a glock man myself, although i recognize the greatness of other manufacturers. i would like to own a sig...but alas i am not gifted with great quantities of money. i still trust my life to my glock.

My understanding is Glock makes great guns, I want a revolver for my first pint sized gun (compared to my 91/30 any pistol is pint sized) due to mechanical simplicity. I figure less to go wrong and less to clean and maintain (and the barrel length issue).

Edited by Dravin

I have a S&W 686 6 inch barrel and i love it. Being so large my wife don't like to shoot it ("That's ok honey, we will just have to by "you" a new handgun":D) but the weight really takes the "bite out" and was surprised by the recoil of a glock 9mm when i rented it from the range.

I love wheel guns, they aren't as easy to carry (if that is your purpose) but they are a thing of beauty and simplicity.

They are the 57 bel airs of the shooting world.

I don't know if i would go cheap on a revolver though, look for a used top end model.

The cheap ones don't appreciate in value. I would love to get a colt python but since they were discontinued they seem to keep getting more and more expensive.

I don't know if i would go cheap on a revolver though, look for a used top end model.

The cheap ones don't appreciate in value. I would love to get a colt python but since they were discontinued they seem to keep getting more and more expensive.

Well I'm not looking for an investment. As someone who used to sink all his money into computers the idea of buying something that I could hardly give away in several years doesn't phase me. Not that Taurus' can't be given away but you don't see the crazy prices like you do on some of the Colts and S&W. Now I'm not opposed to getting a good used S&W or Colt or what have you if the opportunity presents itself but I'm also not in the market to spend some of the crazy (to me seeming) amounts of money I'm seeing some of these listed at on a gun at this point or any time in the near future.

Of course maybe I don't know where to look or what to look for/at, most of my drooling has been online so it's possible what I'm experiencing for prices is true collectibles and not a standard (if you can call it that) used revolver in good condition.

Edited by Dravin

After shooting my 91/30 the other day I caught myself sniffing the spent casings. :D

ohhhh...that's creepy (not because of what you said, but because that sounds like something i would do). :eek::D

My understanding is Glock makes great guns, I want a revolver for my first pint sized gun (compared to my 91/30 any pistol is pint sized) due to mechanical simplicity. I figure less to go wrong and less to clean and maintain (and the barrel length issue).

glock does make a fine line of guns. they are always talked about (which gets on the nerves of some people), but they have their reputation for a reason...they deserve it. as far as mechanical simplicity, certainly revolvers fit that bill, but so does a glock. that is one of the reasons i love them. i can field strip mine in about 8 seconds...no joke. they are sooo easy to maintain and clean. stories and hearsay and legends abound about cleaning glocks, but i have personally spoken to a metro officer who has shot around 20,000 rounds out of his glock (his personal one, not duty gun) without ever having cleaned it at all. he said it has yet to misfire even a single time.

don't get me wrong, i love revolvers too. i am definately an old fashioned, should-have-been-born-in-the-mid-19th-century kind of guy. i LOVE old guns, so glocks are kind of a weird thing for me. but after spending just one afternoon with mine, i fell in love.

(the TOA/GLOCK wedding is scheduled for next month...y'all are invited :lol:)

So, tell me TOA, are glocks a good handgun for women? I've been wanting to get a gun, but have yet to find one that I like (of course, I haven't looked that hard). My brother has a .40 and I LOVE the power of that one. But the gun itself is a little big for my hand. I hadn't even considered a glock, but your romantic lines regarding your love inspired me to consider it.

Well, glocks are a range of guns of various sizes and calibers. If a semiautomatic pistol of some type works for you, then you can probably find a glock that will work for you very well.

My wife is happy with the G26 - a "baby glock" meant to be concealable. The 10 round clip means there's only a grip for 2 of your bottom 3 fingers. That works fine for me, but she gets a little 3rd finger add-on for her the clips going in her gun. She also has a snazzy little lazer sight for it.

If you are of slight build with small hands, I'd suggest a Glock 9mm (or smaller caliber) in a frame that feels comfortable to you. If you have hands on the medium or larger end of the female spectrum, or have a lot of strength in your hands, then the sky could be the limit. .40 cal, .45, .357 - glock makes something for all of them.

But as always, try several things out first before you buy. That means (and yes, it does make me cry to say it) try non-glocks as well as glocks too.

Then pick glock, because it's the official handgun of the church. :)

LM

So, tell me TOA, are glocks a good handgun for women? I've been wanting to get a gun, but have yet to find one that I like (of course, I haven't looked that hard). My brother has a .40 and I LOVE the power of that one. But the gun itself is a little big for my hand. I hadn't even considered a glock, but your romantic lines regarding your love inspired me to consider it.

beef my dear, glocks are definately for women as well. they come in so many varieties of caliber and size...you could get a compact or even a subcompact and i KNOW it would fit your hand like a glove. and the bonus is...even the subcompact variety (even in the .45 caliber) have been shown to be every bit as accurate as the larger models.

for the money, you will not find a better handgun.

Glock makes both compact and subcompact .40 pistols (and a full sized but I'm assuming you're interested in the smaller models).

Compact: Glock 23

Subcompact: Glock 27

Edited by Dravin

I have shot a glock.....a lot and it isn't the one I would choose to carry. Simply because it's too big for my small hand. I can control it...I can hit what I'm aiming at, but after a day at the range with my dh...my hand hurts! I have also shot dh's 1911 kimber :):):) like it much better. But again I have a hard time fitting it in my hand...I have very small hands (my wedding ring is a 4.5 sz) so even though I love Glock and Kimber I am looking at the small Rugar LCP which is a .380 auto. Its small both in size and easy to conceal.

just this hicks 2 bits!!:D