Federal employees and back taxes

bytor2112

Wow.....

We now know that federal employees across the nation owe fully $1 billion in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.

As in, 1,000 times one million dollars. All this political jabber about giving middle-class ...

... Americans a tax cut. Thousands of feds have been giving themselves one all along -- unofficially. And these tax scofflaws include more than three dozen folks who work for the president with that newly decorated Oval Office.

We see these inflammatory headlines fairly regularly. I'm wondering if the RATE OF DELIQUENCY is any higher than for the general public. I do know that for law enforcement, as a condition of employment we must have no unpaid just debts...so I'd guess the rate would be lower...eh...but my musings don't make juicy headlines.

I tried to do a quick back-of-the-envelope analysis: 3 dozen White House staffers out of how many? That's where it broke down, as I wasn't able to find a reliable figure for the number of employees who work in the White House. Estimates range from a couple hundred to 1700. One reference I found cited an 84% tax compliance rate for the US, but it didn't define what it meant to be "compliant" so that wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped.

Regardless, I would expect... nay, demand that the rate be lower for the people I hire to run the government.

Huh? The postal workers are leading us to destruction??? The article says we cannot know if the federal force's rate of deliquency is higher or lower than the national average. Sounds like overall it's about 1% for feds...4% for postal workers. Like regular citizens...sin will find them out. Of course this makes good fodder for those who might want to demonize a group of people to make a political point...

Well...turns out one article has a higher claim for feds--3%. Then again, it says the overall national average for deliquency is 5%. So, we're not perfect, but maybe we are leading the way. IRS Finds Government Deadbeats Owe $1.9 Billion - The Washington Post | HighBeam Research - FREE trial

And thus we see that hypocrites and liars are leading us to destruction.

Always question the source. The writer of the blog is a "former Laura Bush flack and Los Angeles Times blogger Andrew Malcolm." The "flack" word is from mediamatters.com. He was Laura Bush's press secretary. So what kind of story do you expect from someone like that?

Always question the source. The writer of the blog is a "former Laura Bush flack and Los Angeles Times blogger Andrew Malcolm." The "flack" word is from mediamatters.com. He was Laura Bush's press secretary. So what kind of story do you expect from someone like that?

Because we can always tell who's lying based on their political backgrounds and not the facts...

While considering the source is useful when analyzing claims one needs to make sure not to rely on ad hominem as a means to decide the validity of claims. So in this case possible bias has been brought forth, helpful to consider when viewing evidence presented in a claim or more so the interpretation of that evidence, but ultimately if Stalin (or your preferred bogey man) claimed Hersey's Chocolate contains cocoa powder we need not automatically assume it does not.