Need help!!!

TL10

Okay, this whole problem of mine is lengthy, but I'll be as breif as possible.

I have this friend in school who is not LDS. He's ADHD and Autistic, but a pretty good guy. He's been struggling lately in school because his parents were recently seperated. He lives with his mom now, and he's been dealing with it since.

Last month, I had this dream of him, standing in front of me. I only remember him telling me he was converted, which I could easily notice that, because he looked healthier, more modestly dressed, but more importantly happily. I considered this as revelation of what my friend could become with the gospel in his life, as it could fix up all of his problems, so just last saturday, I decided to act on my dream and plan to get some elders to come over to his place and teach him about the church.

There's one problem though. I live in a completely different community than my friend does, far from him (we still go to the same school though, but have different classes) and I don't know any elders in that area that would be able to teach him. However, I've got this idea on how to get my friend to learn about the church.

Step 1) I've got his general address. Not the exact address, but just the street. To make up for this, I've got his home phone number, which could help elders track down his address.

Step 2) On Tuesday, I'll be at my local chapel for YMs. I THINK I might be able to meet my missionaries then, and see if they can contact the elders that tract in my friends community. If I don't meet them then, I'll try this friday when the whole church will gather at our corn bust. Then Sunday if I don't meet them friday.

Step 3) Help out my friend with questions about the church along the way and hopefully, encourage his baptisim.

REALLY BIG, KEY NOTE:

I DO NOT want to ask my friend about investigating the church, because he'll probobly say no, which in that case I'll still send the elders there, which could very much damage my friendship with him. I'm hoping that if the elders go directly to his place, he and his family will be more willing to learn about the gospel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this the right way to get my friend involved in missionary discussions, or do I need more planing and tweaking here and there. I could really use some help with my first real missionary expirence, and I really want my friend to join the church, because I'm sure that this will benifit him in the future.

Guest mormonmusic

I suggest you find some activity he enjoys (and that you enjoy too) and invite him to do with you and a couple other LDS people in your age range. Let him establish some roots first. Leave the Church out of it entirely at first.

Regarding your belief he will say "No" -- you are letting doubt "darken your mind" -- be faithful. YOu already have this dream which may well be inspiration you should be proactive in bringing him the gospel. Let that boost your faith and first work to establish a better relationship with you and some others -- preferably the ones in the Ward he lives in.

Also, it's almost always better if you make the invitation and not the missionaries. The "go see X because I don't want to ask him to take the discussions" never worked when I was a missionary.

The relationship you personally have with this guy is the oil that makes the cogs work.

I agree with music, bigtime

Friendshipping is really important here.

As He gets to know people who are in the church, and sees what a difference the gospel can bring, THAT will be a big testimony to him.

Invite him to things that include other members, not just church activities if you don't think he's ready yet, but also going bowling, etc. with your ym friends. THEN ask him to activities when he knows a few people there.

Most importantly pray for him, and yourself, you should not act without some kind of guidance. The elders won't act without guidance, either.

happy missionarying :)

I suggest you get more involved in the process than just sic-ing the missionaries at him. Contact him yourself, and be his friend. Invite him over for some activities with you. Later, invite him to attend Young Men's with you. Find out what things he likes to do, and do them with him. As you develop your friendship, he'll open up to you about his likes, dislikes, dreams and fears. You can then introduce the gospel to him, a little at a time. He'll learn to trust you, and when he finds that a lot of your happiness comes from your faith, he'll be interested in it, as well. When he is ready, THEN invite the missionaries.

Consider our friends are like a vegetable garden. Even if we plant them all at the same time, they each need different nourishment. Some need full sun, some partial sun, some shade. Some need lots of water, others less. And each has his own harvest period. You don't pick the corn when the lettuce is ready, because the corn won't be ready that early. Nourish your friendship with this young man. When he begins showing interest, then he will be ready for the missionaries.