What age for makeup?

funkenheimer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The age for makeup? When your mom and dad says it's okay.

Yes mom! Lol. Seriously, normal parents should be respected by their children in the decisions that they make concerning parenting. They usually know what is best!

I've never been a big fan of makeup anyway. The natural look is better, so if you use makeup.......do so sparingly!

Yes mom! Lol. Seriously, normal parents should be respected by their children in the decisions that they make concerning parenting. They usually know what is best!

I've never been a big fan of makeup anyway. The natural look is better, so if you use makeup.......do so sparingly!

I love the term "normal parents." But I agree with you..sometimes less is more.

The questions is, at what age is it ok for girls to start wearing makeup? There is no specific doctrine that I am aware of. I welcome your opinions.

Girls like to do this at a young age. My 'tween daughter likes to do dress up and make up games on the computer. During sleep overs, the girls like to make themselves up and pretend they are pop stars and other such stuff. Seems like a normal and harmless part of growing up and keeps them occupied and out of other mischief.

=

OP, I am not sure I would want to wait for my daughter to come to me...do you want her to wait until she's had sex before coming to you about it? I think if you are proactive...if even just to say it's OK for them to talk to you about makeup, boys or whatever, then you are opening the door for them to communicate with you. If you wait for them to bring it up, they might think it's a taboo topic. Don't force them to talk about something, but do bring it up and let them decide whether to continue the conversation. At some point (if not already) they're going to need you to buy feminine products and makeup is a much easier topic to broach than that!

Not sure why the law of chastity and periods are that difficult to deal with.

I can't see Heavenly Father keeping me out of the celestial kingdom because I don't wear makeup - he may however decide to if I am the town tramp.

I have talked to my kids about sex and respecting their bodies since they were born - but I will be encouraging my daughter and sons to only wear makeup when on the stage. She is beautiful she doesn't need to ruin her face with it. I certainly will not be encouraging them to wear it.

The truth is that girls don't realize how beautiful they are without wearing make up ^_^

But if the issue comes up, I will suggest to take to a professional :hippie:

what I mean is you don't want them to wear a very red lipstick, and blue eye shadow if they are pale as paper :clown:, a simple beauty adviser would enlighten you and them on the proper way to hear and buy make up.

I hope it helps!! :bighug:

LOVE the clown!!

You mean the question that's being asked by a man?

We assume he was asking the women here since there is no mother figure in the home. I suppose some men are really into make-up and know all about when young girls start to wear it. In fact I went to a male haircutter yesterday who did a fab job and said he does make-up, too. ( That's another topic for another thread.) ;) But GENERALLY- it's a female topic. I see it as a bunch of sisters giving their brother advice.

I'm siding with Sara on this one (as if it matters.) Maybe we should take a poll. Is this girl talk or are the men invited?

Well given it was my brother's makeup brushes I used when I got married - I personally don't think it should be restricted, to women. My brother is way more knowledgable than me. Also I am tempted to ban it in my family until my daughter is comfortable going out without it. I want it to be an option for her rather than a necessity, in fact the responses here have convinced me it is important to do it this way.

Quite a few men these days cover up blemishes along with their skin care routine. My father has done both since the 70s.

If it was girl talk, it would have been posted in Relief Society issues, a forum into which men still throw their two cents from time to time. But it wasn't. It was posted in the advice forum.

And agree with her or not, her response was still rude and hypocritical.

Well, I thought Dravin's comment about her analogy was knit-picky and arrogant. He deserved a comeback like Sara's.

Uh oh..We're in trouble then. I don't have any ovaries.

What I do have is an opinion though. Whether this is posted in advice or in the Relief Society forum, women AND men have the right to post on any thread in ANY forum.

• 1 year later...

I have a NINE YEARS OLD, and wants to wear full on make up. Base, concealer, eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner. I think it's HORRIBLE (and what is even more horrible, is I think it has a direct reflection on what kind of mother I am....but that's shallow). Thing is, she is a STEP-daughter and her dad doesn't care. Should I put my foot down? Fight the fight? and I DON'T EVEN KNO WHY I AM ASKING--because I ALREADY KNO the answer. right?

I have a NINE YEARS OLD, and wants to wear full on make up. Base, concealer, eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner. I think it's HORRIBLE (and what is even more horrible, is I think it has a direct reflection on what kind of mother I am....but that's shallow). Thing is, she is a STEP-daughter and her dad doesn't care. Should I put my foot down? Fight the fight? and I DON'T EVEN KNO WHY I AM ASKING--because I ALREADY KNO the answer. right?

Yes, put your foot down. But don't just stop there. You need to sit down with your step daughter and explain to her the functions and purposes of every single piece of make-up equipment complete with the health hazards of each. And then sit down and talk to her about inner beauty. Then go shoe shopping!

My opinion is that 9 is definitely too young for anything but play makeup.

My rule will be that they can start using some when they start middle school. I will teach them how to apply with a light hand. Makeup should enhance, not cover, when you're a teenager (except for acne. . . I'm talking more about palette).

What I really hope, though, is that by middle school we get into the charter school that doesn't even allow makeup until 9th grade. Even then, they'll be allowed, it just obviously won't be a daily thing since they can't even wear it at school.