Internet Explorer 9 (beta)

tubaloth

This, except I have Firefox and vista.

ewwww!

I'll be honest, I couldn't stand vista. I even went and bought a copy... the only copy of windows I've ever purchased that wasn't OEM. Two months after installing it, and trying to convince myself I just wasn't used to it, I put XP back on. Windows 7 grew on me a lot faster.

Does it seem like Microsoft's old tricks to tie this browser update into a product (Windows 7) that most PC users have yet to buy?

Well, we can always rest assured that Firefox, Chrome and Opera can meet the browsing needs for those of us who like XP. As long as they continue to support IE 8 with new exploit fixes, there is no need to pine away for a shiny new toy that probably has many new bugs anyway.

Does it seem like Microsoft's old tricks to tie this browser update into a product (Windows 7) that most PC users have yet..... there is no need to pine away for a shiny new toy that probably has many new bugs anyway.

Actually MS finally got it right with Win7 - its the best and most bug free O.S. right out of the box I have worked on.

Does it seem like Microsoft's old tricks to tie this browser update into a product (Windows 7) that most PC users have yet to buy?

Well, we can always rest assured that Firefox, Chrome and Opera can meet the browsing needs for those of us who like XP. As long as they continue to support IE 8 with new exploit fixes, there is no need to pine away for a shiny new toy that probably has many new bugs anyway.

If I had to guess I would say that they are not allowing it on XP because of the hardware graphics acceleration they added which most likely uses DirectX 10+ which is far more integrated into the operating system and so is not available for XP. Could they have used OpenGL and made it more compatible? Probably, but I don't think this is just as simple as a ploy to get people to get people to upgrade.

I think Microsoft has actually mellowed out quite a bit from the old days of it being the evil dominating corporation, now it's mostly just struggling to stay relevant. Apple on the other hand is the new Microsoft.

Beauty of the Web

It only works on Windows 7 and Vista SP2.

Pretty much is just catching up with Chrome. But a good step up (much like Windows 7 is from Vista).

But better then IE8 so far.

The biggest change (and most other browsers are going to do this too) is now more graphics in the browser is processed by the graphic card.

whats crome??? All iknow is how to put this thing on get to my email and some sites lol...I have windows 7 should i click on and up grade to thisnew thingy

what is it call windows 9 what is the difference???

If I had to guess I would say that they are not allowing it on XP because of the hardware graphics acceleration they added which most likely uses DirectX 10+ which is far more integrated into the operating system and so is not available for XP.

Making Direct X 10 and 11 unavailable for XP most likely was also built in leverage in trying to sell Vista and Windows 7.

IE9 is Internet Explorer 9 = an internet browser by Microsoft

Chrome is an internet browser by Google

Windows 7 is an operating system to operate your programs by Microsoft.

Should you upgrade? If you like what you've got... DON'T CHANGE IT! :)

Speaking of varying internet browsers, the Americans on this board won't have experienced this, but anyone in Europe will know about it: this really annoying "browser choice" update released by microsoft. I guess I'm being very biased, because it's fine for home users (and I'm willing to support anything which will raise awareness of the existence of other browsers), but the update got accidently sent to all

~1700 computers at work causing varying problems. Had to add an automated startup script to disable the annoying popup window coming up every time someone logged on, and then remove the darn icon off the desktop. I wasn't best pleased with the european commission on this day.

As for whether you shouldn't change if you like what you have, I kinda disagree. With microsoft, unlike open source stuff, you are going to be forced to upgrade at some point, and at some point fairly soon. A lot of the latest popular programs will only work in the latest version of windows (even a lot of third party programs, some of which are suspected to be paid off by microsoft so that they won't work in earlier versions). You're better off getting used to windows 7 sooner than later.

Edited by Mahone

You can Reorder tabs in most browers. But there are a lot of features I like in it.

And I guess 2 million other people download it to .

Microsoft IE 9 Beta Racks 2 Million Downloads -- Microsoft Internet Explorer -- InformationWeek

I wish I could resize the Address/One Bar. I know they tried to split it, address bar on one side and tabs on the other. But after "ttp://www.lds.net"... do I really need to know the rest of the address. I would probably cut the address bar in half.

Also, a couple of times when I have typed things in the One Bar to search google, it just ended up going to the first website (kind of like the Feeling lucky button on Google). I'm not sure why it did that.

I also wonder if Microsoft made some fix so they could update there browser more often instead of through windows. I mean Chrome you get a new update every 2 hours. Firefox every couple of days don't you.

I still use Chrome, but I share the time with IE9.

Edited by tubaloth

I wish I could resize the Address/One Bar. I know they tried to split it, address bar on one side and tabs on the other. But after "ttp://www.lds.net"... do I really need to know the rest of the address. I would probably cut the address bar in half.

I can resize the Address/One Bar. Try hovering the mouse over the space between the "stop" button and the left edge of the first tab. Te mouse arrow should change to a double-ended arrow. Just click and drag to make the Address Bar as short as you like. I was able to get it so short that the URL for this site merely read "http://www.ld..." -- and so long that it scrunched the tabs to just about a centimeter in width.