How can you support boxing/ultimate fighting

dash77

When you watch a certain sport on TV or read coverage online, you are supporting the sport. It doesn't have to be pay-per-view. The more people watch a particular program on TV, the more you'll see it on TV. If nobody ever watched Monday night football, do you think they would still broadcast it on the TV?

I'm confused. Exactly how do people figure out exactly what I'm watching on TV?

* My TV receives a singnal - it doesn't send one.

* The Nielsen ratings system seems to be alive and well.

When you talk about it with other fans, you also contribute to the increase popularity of the sport. If a fan could never talk to another fan, he would probably not stay a fan for too long. Fan boost each other, just like members of the church strengthen each other.

Apart from a few posts on this forum, I don't usually discuss any sport with anyone.

I'm still thinking you're a bit off base here. Being a fan does not automatically mean you are providing a benefit to the sport in question.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like boxing and MMA ,

I started going to a boxing gym because i wanted to lose some weight , used to b overweight and boxing is one of the most complete sports. THere I lived the adrenalin you feel when fighting the opponent, i dont really think on hurting or seeing the blood on the other person.

I had to quit the boxing cause i got sick and lost continuity. After that I started karate do- full contact and kickboxing. I love martial arts, they get the stress out of me. I m a red belt , sparring is a common practice to improve, is like anyother sport, i dont see the purpose as inflicting pain on the other human being, i think is not letting the other party hit you :) , of course we have to kick , is not like ballet.. even thou my mom wishes lol she doesnt like my choice of sports, specially because im a girl.

• 1 month later...

Apart from a few posts on this forum, I don't usually discuss any sport with anyone.

That is funny. So you are telling me that if during a conversation someone would ask you something like "what did you think of yesterday's last fight?", you would just keep your mouth shut? Stop lying to yourself.

By the way, trust me, when you tune it to a certain channel, it will increase the viewer rates of this channel.

That is funny. So you are telling me that if during a conversation someone would ask you something like "what did you think of yesterday's last fight?", you would just keep your mouth shut?
I'd probably say something like "I didn't watch it", because I probably didn't. Unless it was free.

Stop lying to yourself.

Rein it in there, pal. Accusing members of this forum of lying will get you in trouble. Accusing a moderator will only delay that trouble by one post or so. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time grasping the concept, but yeah, MMA, BYU/Utah football, professional golf, tennis, texas hold-em tourneys, and NRA pistol competitions pretty much live or die without me contributing much of anything to them at all.

By the way, trust me, when you tune it to a certain channel, it will increase the viewer rates of this channel.

There is no need for trust on the internet. Cite your source. Why do you believe that?

I think it is impossible to be a fan of a sport without supporting it. If you are a fan, you will obviously watch the sport. If you watch the sport, you boost the viewer number. If you boost the viewer number, the sport will make more profit. If the sport makes more profit, it will keep expending. If this is not supporting a sport, I wonder what it is.

You think... remember that little bit there.

The only viewer numbers that are boosted is those who are being monitored by the Nielsen rating system, and just so you know, the Nielsen rating system does not monitor every single last television in america. They compose their numbers by utilizing a simple tool known as statistical poll analasys.

The profit comes from pay-per-view, promotional sales, sponsorships, and ticket sales.

Pretty easy to be a fan and avoid those few things, really.

further, I don't think the violence in boxing or mma is against LDS standards because both participants are willing to endure it. Violence is certainly evil when forced upon another, but when two individuals knowingly and willingly prepare for, train for, mentally prep for what they know is going to be a very physically punishing test of their abilities, there is no evil in that. It's a competition, with clear rules of engagement, to see who is stronger.

Yes there is blood, yes there can be serious damage, but the blood and the damage is not the focus of the sport, but an element of it. You might as well say that short skirts and getting sweaty are the main points of women's tennis.

If violence is evil, then how could God have ordered so many wars? How could God have sided with anyone in war? pain, injury, suffering and death are real parts of the life God gave us, and he knew all about it before he was even done getting the Earth ready for us.

There's a difference between going out and starting senseless fights, and participating in an organized, regulated, and medically supervised fighting competition. If it's not your bag of marbles, that's cool. Coming out and saying that it's against LDS principles is flat-out wrong, because I doubt anyone could cite any chosen servant of the Lord as saying so.

RipplecutBuddha, I did not say MMA is against LDS standards. I am a very big fan of MMA myself. I was just curious to know what other members thought about it.

However, I still believe it is impossible to be a fan of something without promoting it. Like I said, you don't have to buy anything to promote something. Wheather you increase the viewer rate or not when you watch an MMA event on TV, is not that relevant. You are STILL promoting MMA in different ways by being a fan.

Like I said, when there is a conversation about MMA, you will obvioulsy jump in and share your views if you are a fan. The fact of talking positively about something increases the popularity of it. Now if you are telling me that you never talk about MMA with anybody, I don't know what you are, but you are not a fan of MMA. LoudMouth, from what I understand, you don't talk about MMA to anybody, you never attended any MMA event, you almost never watch MMA event on the TV...why do you call yourself a fan?

Like it or not, being a "fan" of MMA increases its popularity.

For a moment, please put aside your prejudices and look at things realistically.

I was pulling for Shane Carwin. There. I said it. But watching Junior Dos Santos make ground beef out of Carwin's face in three rounds of solid domination -- I mean, seriously, is there anyone who will dare to deny that, in watching that epic beatdown, he or she had the words come clearly to mind straight from D&C 89:13?

Like I said, you don't have to buy anything to promote something.

The fact of talking positively about something increases the popularity of it.

Agreed.

Now if you are telling me that you never talk about MMA with anybody, I don't know what you are, but you are not a fan of MMA. LoudMouth, from what I understand, you don't talk about MMA to anybody, you never attended any MMA event, you almost never watch MMA event on the TV...why do you call yourself a fan?

You understand correctly. My posts in this thread, and maybe a conversation or two with my wife, pretty much constitute 100% of my interaction with other people on MMA. Everything I know about MMA comes from watching youtube videos or reading articles.

I call myself a fan, because I fit the dictionary definition: "an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc."

It sounds like you demand the word "supporter" be part of the definition. If one doesn't sit in bleachers waving a pendant around, or have a bunch of people to give hi-fives to, one can't be a fan - right? That's understandable, I'd guess the vast majority of fans support the thing they're fans of. Just not me (other than my participation in this thread). I dunno - maybe there are 'good' fans and 'bad' fans - based on the amount of stuff other people can see them do. Maybe I'm just not a very good fan.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...