2 Nephi 32:6-7

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 32:6-7

6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

7 And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be.

Quotes for Discussion

I cannot say more

[Why no more doctrine?] Because the people had refused to pray. Because they had hardened their hearts, even in his [Nephi’s] day. Therefore the Lord closed his mouth, and said, there shall be no more doctrine till Christ comes, so far as you are concerned, and I cannot say more, because the Lord won’t permit it….Now that applies in our day. We have members of the Church to whom this ought to be read (2 Nephi 32:6-7).

Joseph Fielding Smith, Conference Report, Oct. 1919 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1919], 145-146

The revelation that restrains is one of the most common forms of revelation. It often comes by surprise, when we have not asked for revelation or guidance on a particular subject. But if we are keeping the commandments of God and living in tune with his Spirit, a restraining force will steer us away from things we should not do. One of my first experiences in being restrained by the Spirit came soon after I was called as a counselor in a stake presidency in Chicago….Our stake president made a proposal that our new stake center be built in a particular location….When asked for my counsel, I opposed the proposal….The stake president wisely proposed that each of us consider the matter prayerfully for another week….I prayed about the subject and immediately received a strong impression that I was wrong….Needless to say, I was restrained and promptly gave my approval…My reasons to the contrary turned out to be shortsighted, and I was soon grateful to have been restrained from relying on them….Several years ago I picked up the desk pen in my office at BYU to sign a paper that had been prepared for my signature….As I went to sign the document, I was filled with such negative thoughts and forebodings that I put it to one side and asked for the entire matter to be reviewed again. It was, and within a few days additional facts came to light which showed that the proposed course of action would have caused the university serious problems in the future.

Dallin H. Oaks, BYU Devotional and Fireside Speeches, 1981-1982, 20-26

Revelation is promised us through our faithfulness; so, also, is knowledge pertaining to the mysteries and government of the Church. The Lord withholds much that he would otherwise reveal if the members of the Church were prepared to receive it. When they will not live in accordance with the revelations he has given, how are they entitled to receive more? The people in the Church are not living in full accord with the commandments the Lord has already required of them.

We find ourselves, therefore, much like the Nephites when Nephi spoke of revelation: “And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be.”

We have little occasion to clamor for more revelation when we refuse to heed what the Lord has revealed for our salvation. However, the authorities are directed by revelation, and this is apparent to all who have the spirit of discernment. The Lord has not forsaken his people, although they have not always put their trust in him.

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 1:283