Scripture Mastery Games

NateHowe

I'm teaching early-morning Seminary for the second year in a row, and I'm always looking for new games or activities to help with scripture mastery. I'll share one and hope you reply with your favorites, too.

Scripture Mastery Basketball

Put a mixing bowl in the middle of the floor (not against the wall - that makes a good backboard). Make a line on the other side of the room with tape. Divide the class into two teams, and have each team crumple several sheets of scrap paper into balls.

The teacher uses the scripture mastery cards, and the students use their scriptures. When it's Team A's turn, the teacher reads something from the back of the card (Historical Setting, Missionary Application, etc.), and Team A tries to find the correct scripture and read the full text of that scripture aloud.

Meanwhile, Team B has one member shooting baskets from behind the line. They try to get as many balls in the bowl as possible before Team A finishes the scripture. They get 1 point for each ball in the bowl.

Then the teams switch roles.

• 1 year later...

I've been noticing a small, but steady, stream of visitors to the website/blog at Chapter & Verse - LDS Game That's been very encouraging. Over the years since that post, I've been steadily developing the rules and the cards, and it's getting to be a really solid system!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all who've visited, and let browsers of this form know that the game is still actively in development, and I'd still welcome any testers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One more that's been working for me lately - scripture mastery basketball.

We use slap cards with a rhyme on one side and the scripture reference on the other. I use two decks, and lay out the cards along the side wall of the gym. I sit in the middle at a table. I shout out a rhyme, and team A has to find the right scripture reference and bring me the card. Meanwhile, team B is shooting from the free throw line. Team B gets points for every basket, so there's an incentive for team A to memorize the scriptures so they can bring me the cards fast. Then they switch.

• 1 month later...

Just checking this site out. I have Sunbeams that I would like to find easy to understand and to memorize verses. Bible verses I have pretty well (ie, we started with John 3:16). Myself, a first year convert, I am not so familiar with the Book of Mormon verses that "everyone learns as a youngun." These little guys are young but very, very smart!